Contracted players

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have expected all contract offers/talks to be put on hold until the new manager is in position, but Winchester signing suggests otherwise.

Therefore I suspect they are sticking with Sheridan's decisions on the players released/offered deals for now, until the new manager arrives..

So we may see 1 or 2 more players hastily sign up in the next few days, if they don't have any other offers on the table and aren't sure whether a new manager will like them or not.

So we are probably in exactly the same position as we would have been as if Sheridan had stopped?

And today an uncontracted, untried at senior level, youth player has gone to a Premier League club. Someone who in all likelihood wouldn't have had more than a few appearances on the bench this season.

Good job I've been indoors and missed the sky falling in.

So we are probably in exactly the same position as we would have been as if Sheridan had stopped?

And today an uncontracted, untried at senior level, youth player has gone to a Premier League club. Someone who in all likelihood wouldn't have had more than a few appearances on the bench this season.

We don't know. There are many variables:

-would the players considering contracts signed already?

-would we not have been in the process of signing other players on the basis of us having a manager?

-would we have let go of Coleman?

Maybe none, maybe all, but we're less stable without a manager. With the number of players we will require, having lost a manager at the time we did is already an enormous disadvantage.

How many contracted players are we going to need for the upcoming season?

Without emergency loans you'd expect to need more. 20-25?

Assuming Renshaw and Brown leave and that the other scholars offered pro-contracts sign then we have 9 registered players (not counting Tuohy since he i currently suspended). I'd guess at another 9 permanent signings and probably 5 loanees.

That'd be 14 signings, probably more as probably at least two out of Kelly, Murphy and Cassidy will likely leave. Maybe less if some of those offered extensions stay.

It's going to be a busy summer!

Winchester is a talented lad. But If he didn't have the motivation to perform this past season, even for selfish reasons with Northern Ireland going to the Euros, then I'm not convinced we'll ever see the best of him.

Fair points, last season was a shocker for him.

I'd rather we kept all our best players but if you are going to be a selling club at least give yourself a chance of getting the most money you can for them - Coleman should have been on a 3/4 year contract, so should this lad and Dieng.

Winchester is a talented lad. But If he didn't have the motivation to perform this past season, even for selfish reasons with Northern Ireland going to the Euros, then I'm not convinced we'll ever see the best of him.

Same. Correct decision to keep him probably, but I'm losing hope that he'll ever have the motivation from within to become the player he can be. Got to hope we have another Johnson-type who can get the best from him.

Nevertheless, as deyeres says, baffling contract decision, unless we have an option for another year.

Same. Correct decision to keep him probably, but I'm losing hope that he'll ever have the motivation from within to become the player he can be. Got to hope we have another Johnson-type who can get the best from him.

Nevertheless, as deyeres says, baffling contract decision, unless we have an option for another year.

Wasn't this just a one year option? If so, I'm not sure it can be increased. Could be wrong, mind.

Fair points, last season was a shocker for him.

I'd rather we kept all our best players but if you are going to be a selling club at least give yourself a chance of getting the most money you can for them - Coleman should have been on a 3/4 year contract, so should this lad and Dieng.

There's no way his age t would have let him sign a 3 or 4 year contract.

In Dec people were saying he should have a spell out of the limelight.

Even Shez said he would not be his first choice next season.

Really?

Silver lining on a hurricane now. Are you on prozac?

We are dwindling year on year, a 10 year mission to reduce wages and ambition resulting in reduced gates and revenues and the slow descent of OAFC

Was it this bad when Chris Moore left? No - we had saleable assets and more players!

We had a manager through the initial maelstrom. We had a core squad. We had, believe it or not, 4 stands and gates of 7,000.

If you're happy with the last 10 years you're insane.

Really?

Silver lining on a hurricane now. Are you on prozac?

We are dwindling year on year, a 10 year mission to reduce wages and ambition resulting in reduced gates and revenues and the slow descent of OAFC

Was it this bad when Chris Moore left? No - we had saleable assets and more players!

We had a manager through the initial maelstrom. We had a core squad. We had, believe it or not, 4 stands and gates of 7,000.

If you're happy with the last 10 years you're insane.

Ok, I think you've spent too much time on the internet today.

Seriously, go outside and play in the fresh air.

Regards.

(p.s. Prozac and I have never been that close...)

Edited by LaticsPete

I'm worried, albeit not to the extent of many but.....

When you step back a bit and look at it more calmly the club didn't expect to lose Shez.

Had he still been here we never do much business early anyway so would he have made any signings yet either? (granted, I'd imagine a few more existing players might have been tied down).

Coleman going is no surprise. Renshaw would have gone anyway and it has no bearing on the upcoming season.

I'm surprised Kelly hasn't gone yet. I'll be amazed if he doesn't. And I'd have been amazed if he'd stayed with Shez as manager anyway.