Northampton

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The " very good" teams we have played lost 5-1 and 2-0 tonight . We have not scored in 270 minutes. Their keeper did not have a save to make......am I missing something?

I expected 0 points from August and being out of the cup, so the last 3 results are a bonus.

To be fair to Robinson he didn't say he was going to deliver free flowing attractive football from the start. His first task was to make us organised and a cohesive team. From what I saw a Millwall I thought it was going to take a long time but he's already seemed to have made a difference since the opening day. Hopefully the understanding will get better between the attacking players in the near future.

Erwin has very good feet and has good technical ability but for a big guy he's pretty useless in the air ..won nothing all night as he did Saturday. I liked the look of the left backconsidering he's just come into the team etc. Fane is going to be play at a higher level than league one that is clear .Back four solid,midfield tigerish just lacked that ability to play those killer balls. Overall quite pleased and it looks as though we are getting there

As long as we don't lump it to Erwin it doesn't matter. His feet are better than any other player so I'm not arsed if he can't head it particularly.

Fane is decent but he's got stuff to learn before he'll be above this level. Caught on the wrong side of his opponent a few too many times first half, and could do with some passing training, but he's still looking like a very shrewd signing. Power when dribbling is frightening and he seems to have a knack of blocking shots and intercepting passes consistently.

Why is he disappointing you?

To me he has been asked to do his work within the front of the goal. He is doing that with little or no service. He has a good touch & decent movement. If we don't provide the ball in the right areas then he won't score goals.

Another striker under the same restrictions & instruction the manager will disappoint you just as much I think?

His instructions are surely to score goals - which he isn't doing, nor is he showing the work rate of Erwin.

The manager must be concerned as he is desperately awaiting the new striker, who if signed before Saturday you can bet will go straight into the team at Bury

Edited by BP1960

Northampton was my first game of the season due to work commitments. I stand by what I said in a couple of previous posts on different threads. Where are the goals going to come from? We are crying out for another striker, someone who is going to get us 12-15 goals at least. Yes I know they cost money and we have very little of that but the fact is that without goals in the team we are simply not going to win enough matches to get very high up the league table. On the positive side however I thought we looked solid at the back, all of the back four played well. Clarke will be another Sean Gregan for us. Very commanding, and a proper captain.

In midfield Fané definitely looks to have potential, Green probably didn't have his best game but he will get better. I think Flynn has a tendency to drift in and out of the game, something that he needs to work on. Croft will give 60 mins of all out effort.

Up front McKay just didn't seem to get into the game at all, perhaps the system doesn't suit his style of play?

Erwin put a lot of effort in and was impressive, but neither of the strikers looked a goal threat to me and that is a big negative. From strikers I want goals. Push the boat out SC and pay good wages to attract a striker of some calibre, otherwise we just won't win enough goals. Simple!!

The " very good" teams we have played lost 5-1 and 2-0 tonight . We have not scored in 270 minutes. Their keeper did not have a save to make......am I missing something?

The 2 goals we scored against a championship team?

I think we played well tonight, we could and probably should, have won. The execution of the final ball was dire most of the night and this needs to be sorted in training. Less farting about, more balls into the box please. Thought Erwin was very good again but McKay wasn't in the game much but with the lack of service that's hardly his fault. I wasn't impressed with Dunne but he gets a pass as he won't be near match sharp yet. I think when Robinson gets theme disciplined in his way of playing they'll start making better decisions on the ball than we saw tonight.

All in all not too worried, it's very early days.

Edited by BJBlue

His instructions are surely to score goals - which he isn't doing, nor is he showing the work rate of Erwin.

The manager must be concerned as he is desperately awaiting the new striker, who if signed before Saturday you can bet will go straight into the team at Bury

So that's you qualified opinion? As a scout watching a player surely you see the bigger picture? 'his instructions are to score goals' Does that involve creating every single thing for himself!?

He is working hard enough within the areas of the pitch that he has been told too, central! Erwins work rate seems superior as he is being used as the obvious big target man & obviously told to use the full width of the pitch & to drop back on to the wings and cover when we dont have the ball. In the last 2 games he has played on the right and the left. Wide players will always do more running making their work rate look superior.

Erwin should be used more central imo but both players are obviously working under instruction. Mackay needs someone nearer to work off but that's not the formation we are playing.

He has had no service. A new striker will not score without the right service...

Edited by palmer1

I thought that left back was turd. For the 1st ten minutes anyway lol. He got better as the game went on. I thought we'd just signed a James Wilson left back version who only had kicking the ball out of play in his locker

The James Wilson who is now playing in the Championship?

The James Wilson who is now playing in the Championship?

He plays for Sheff Utd who are below us in the table. Have a look at the goals they conceded last night, might seem familiar.

Incidentally they have Billy Sharp and Leon Clarke up front but have scored the same number of goals as we have. Having a 20 goal a season striker isn't the be all and end all people are making out.

Wouldn't mind getting one in t) so we could dispel that myth though :) In my humble opinion Mackay just doesn't look like he has goals in him, I know it takes time but surely SR is looking for other options.

Me too, and I'd rather have someone like Leon Clarke than not. But players like that come at a price. Hopefully this loan striker we're after will be prolific.

Good goalscorers generally dont work too hard. They just get where they need to be which, from what I've seen, he does.

If the ball doesn't get to him, how can he score goals?

I thought that left back was turd. For the 1st ten minutes anyway lol. He got better as the game went on. I thought we'd just signed a James Wilson left back version who only had kicking the ball out of play in his locker

He had a very shaky first 15 minutes or so but I thought he grew into the game. Looked good going forward in the second half. Someone needs to tell him to stop shooting though.

Better start to the season then anticipated taking into account the pre season preparation or lack of it, everybody knows all coaches start from the back, we are looking solid at the back the goals will come, patience is required don't forget this team hardly know one another and has been thrown together, keep the faith.

Osei earlier indeed - seems to upset defences with his pace, a 60minute sub next time please

Why a sub? Start for me upfront with Erwin at Bury. Been to every game including the monstrosity that was Millwall and the lad has caused problems every time. He actually RUNS at the defence which we don't do nearly enough of...

The attacking set pieces tonight where a disgrace to be honest, we for once have a team of big lads so need to be making more from this. We will outmuscle and be taller than most of the teams in this league and the set pieces need to improve. Lofted corners that either go over everyone or the keeper catches comfortably, or short corners that we cock up aren't the answer. Whip the ball in to the several 6ft 2+ lads we have in the side...

Thought Klok was :censored:e on saturday, but Crofty didn't too much either. Would probably bring back in Klok for his set pieces and energy in midfield for Sat.

Fane has the quality and will without a doubt play above league 1 level but does tend to turn around and go backwards a bit too much when he has the ability to drive on as he's shown it!

Defensively from open play we look very solid, Peter Clarke is outstanding.

We're not far...Need to be a bit more ruthless in the final third

This is as good as we might have wished for at this stage. It's much better than the start we had last season.

Um no. We had 5 points and were unbeaten after 3 games last season. How on earth can this be 'as good as we might have wished for'? Jesus.