Northampton

Why do we keep banging on about a 20 goal striker? I can't remember the last time we had one, although I'm sure a statto will tell us soon enough. Even if we did get one, he'd never reach 20 unless he was fringing exceptional because he'd be flogged for an undisclosed fee in the January window. We'd be better off getting a pair of average strikers who flew under the radar whilst quietly knocking in 9 each. Have we even had a 9 goal striker in the last few years?

We usually have at least 1 player who gets double figures.

In 90-91 we didn't have a 20 goal striker Marshall got 18 Redfearn 17 and Ritchie got I think about 15

2002-03 we had 3 players in double figures Eyres, Wijnhard, and Andrews.

2006-07 Porter got 19 Liddell and Warne both got double figures.

So if your not going to get a striker who gets 20 you can still be successful if you have 3-4 who get double figures.

Although to say we are better off with 2 9 goal a season strikers over a 20 goal one is abit silly really isnt it? :)

Edited by GlossopLatic

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the midfielders who started Tuesday Fane, Green and Croft would be lucky to get 6 between them this season so it's imperative we have a striker or two capable of bagging regularly as well as Flynn chipping in with a few, hopefully something will click soon and one of them can go on a run.

Out of the midfielders who started Tuesday Fane, Green and Croft would be lucky to get 6 between them this season so it's imperative we have a striker or two capable of bagging regularly as well as Flynn chipping in with a few, hopefully something will click soon and one of them can go on a run.

Spot on. The midfielders and wingers are not going to get anywhere near enough goals. Another striker is imperative! We need a Luke Beckett / Lee Hughes type who are almost guaranteed to get double figures. Ryan Lowe might have been able to do a good job but he's probably a bit too old now. For the doubters who still aren't convinced we need a striker, ask yourself this. How many times have Latics come from behind to win a game in recent seasons? Yes there may have been the odd one, but basically if our opposition takes the lead in a game, I can't see us scoring twice. And that needs addressing otherwise we'll be struggling again IMO.

we will sort this, we will sort that, we will get this , we will get that

3 games played..we haven't

With a bit of luck we could have won the two home games and be sat on six points.

This is why the game is :censored:ed these days, nobody has any patience.

With a bit of luck we could have won the two home games and be sat on six points.

This is why the game is :censored:ed these days, nobody has any patience.

Compared to this time 12 mths ago, I'd say people are being extremely patient. We were unbeaten for a number of games and fans wanted Kelly sacked. If you want to stop people discussing where our problems are then I suggest you shut down all messageboards, stop all after match phone ins and close all the pubs.

Compared to this time 12 mths ago, I'd say people are being extremely patient. We were unbeaten for a number of games and fans wanted Kelly sacked. If you want to stop people discussing where our problems are then I suggest you shut down all messageboards, stop all after match phone ins and close all the pubs.

I remain patient because I believe that we might, might, just have a structure in place that will turn things around and bring something to the club that we can build on. Robinson and his management team need time and our support.

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks that Kelly shouldn't have been sacked.

Problems don't exist when it's a brand new team, a rookie manager and they've played four games.

Based on what we've seen in 4 games so far, yes. But isn't it the manager & coaching staffs job week in, week out to develop players and add, eg, goals over the course of the season?

You seem to be working on the basis that every player will perform in exactly the same way & to exactly the same level over the course of the whole season. None of them working on certain areas of their game....

Josh Law has hardly ever scored throughout his career and has one already and should have had another on Tuesday...

We usually have at least 1 player who gets double figures.

In 90-91 we didn't have a 20 goal striker Marshall got 18 Redfearn 17 and Ritchie got I think about 15

2002-03 we had 3 players in double figures Eyres, Wijnhard, and Andrews.

2006-07 Porter got 19 Liddell and Warne both got double figures.

So if your not going to get a striker who gets 20 you can still be successful if you have 3-4 who get double figures.

Although to say we are better off with 2 9 goal a season strikers over a 20 goal one is abit silly really isnt it? :)

Not silly in the context I put it in. If we have a 20 goal striker who has only reached 10 by xmas and then goes in the window because we can't hold our own water, never mind a half decent player, then we have 10 goals. If we have two 9 goal strikers who fly under the radar and don't get sold we have 18 goals at the end of the season.

Obviously a 20 goal striker is better but we'd have more chance of holding onto a greasy pig.

Didn't realise the front 3 had been so prolific back in 06. Good times......

Edited by BlueJazzer

Football in general, instant success expected, loss of confidence/form not permitted.

I don't know - I think it's hard to judge with us because when we've been :censored: and, therefore, impatient we've largely been right to be - Kelly, Holden, Dunn, Dickov (a few times).

I think most of us were patient when LJ had his bad runs as we could see what he was trying to achieve and, again, we were proven right (even moreso since he's left).

Even Dickov got arguably more patience than he deserved.

Penney we could (should?) have been more patient with in hindsight but we'll never know on that one.

Ronnie Moore certainly but was that the fans or TTA? Had we kept him and got off to a flyer that next season the masses would have quickly been back on side.

Edited by HarryBosch

I thought Butterworth was excellent on Tuesday. Full of energy all night. Lawton was good too. Always twisting and turning on this near side and that near side. Was at least a yard off the pace early doors though, but grew into it the more the heads went up. All in all a solid start.

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks that Kelly shouldn't have been sacked.

Problems don't exist when it's a brand new team, a rookie manager and they've played four games.

I can't take anyone seriously who thinks a manager should be sacked after game 1, 3, 5 or 7 games. Which is a good number of our fans and the Latics board, sadly.