Peter Clarke

He's the leader of the latics and his name is Peter Clarke.

What a signing. Better than Gerrard? Most certainly fitter than Gerrard and he seems to have a good connection with all of the players, a different type of leader.

Ripley, Clarke, Green and Erwin is a strong core through the squad of lads who will put themselves about and work hard for the team.

Can't believe Bury got rid. He's been imperious each match, and Tom Pope is never easy to defend against, nor is Revell.

On the ball he's better than Gerrard and he doesn't have a twatty Twitter page either.

Think you're spot on with that core. Real quality for each. 3 matches in a row Erwin has hit the post. When one goes right side he might get in a decent run.

Whatever people say about Gerrard now, nothing changes the fact that without him last season we would probably have been relegated, he played with a passion that most of the other players around him lacked. It aint going to happen but I would be happy to see him come here as understudy to Clarke.

Whatever people say about Gerrard now, nothing changes the fact that without him last season we would probably have been relegated, he played with a passion that most of the other players around him lacked. It aint going to happen but I would be happy to see him come here as understudy to Clarke.

I would rather we spent that money on a forward. Gerrard was excellent last season no question but clearly believes he's better than he is hence no club has got him.

My only worry about the defence is if Clarke gets injured. At 34 he may need to be preserved so I hope he doesn't play 1 minute of the FL trophy thing. But as he's a centre back it should be much easier to preserve him than a striker or quick winger.

I'm a fan of Gerrard and would've been happy with him leading the defence this season, but Clarke more than fits the bill. If asked on July 1st I'd have said that Gerrard would be more likely to sign for us but only because I thought that there was no way that Bury would let their player of the season go!

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

If it wasn't for Gerrard we wouldn't be in the market for your Peter Clarke's as we'd be in League 2, to underplay what he did for us last season is ridiculous, Gerrard was just what we needed at the time just like Clarke is the man now, both are equally as important to me and I'm grateful for what Gerrard did for us, he was immense in that run in and his leadership qualities are top notch.

If it wasn't for Gerrard we wouldn't be in the market for your Peter Clarke's as we'd be in League 2, to underplay what he did for us last season is ridiculous, Gerrard was just what we needed at the time just like Clarke is the man now, both are equally as important to me and I'm grateful for what Gerrard did for us, he was immense in that run in and his leadership qualities are top notch.

100% agree with that.

Gerrard Is the type of player you need when you're in the :censored: and need a massive kick up the arse. Hence why he did so well for us, and was a big part of us staying up.

Now? Not for me. Clarke looks a better player, and comes without the knobbishness (sp?) that led to Gerrard seeing the door at Huddersfield.

Gerrard Is the type of player you need when you're in the :censored: and need a massive kick up the arse. Hence why he did so well for us, and was a big part of us staying up.

Now? Not for me. Clarke looks a better player, and comes without the knobbishness (sp?) that led to Gerrard seeing the door at Huddersfield.

The only 'knobbishness (sp?)' I see is from our own support when some go them have taken to giving him grief on Twitter & downplaying his role in ensuring we remain in League Two. Since leaving Huddersfield, he has played a massive part in seeing us safe from relegation for two seasons so why wouldn't he think he still might be able to play his part at a level higher? Why is that viewed as a bad thing?

My only worry about the defence is if Clarke gets injured. At 34 he may need to be preserved so I hope he doesn't play 1 minute of the FL trophy thing. But as he's a centre back it should be much easier to preserve him than a striker or quick winger.

Agreed. Good chance for Edmundson to get some game time too.