Team against Charlton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Croft could be classed as an out and out winger.

The squad is set up for 3-5-2, they need to play it and have the bollocks to stick with it for longer than a half.

This for me. let's stop with the square pegs and get on with getting our best players on the pitch together.

Ripley

Dummigan

Wilson

Clarke

Burgess

Reckord

Green

Fane

Banks/Winchester if you're that way inclined

Then see which 2 strikers look good together in training and stick with it for a decent run

The supposed pace of McLoughlin and Martin to be used from the bench if we need a change.

That coude well be the problem then, playing 5 in midfield and not expecting any of them to give you any width or do anything down the flanks. Surely the one on the left and the one on the right of the five must be wingers/wide players of some description or even if one or two are holding the players on the left and right should be considered as wide players or wingers. I'm not looking for an argument by the way i just find in baffling that 5 narrow midfielders can ever work. What also confuses me is that if we are set up to play 3 at the back why we only play 2 centre halves with a right back at one side of them and a left back at the other. Surely it would be 3 centre halves.

This for me. let's stop with the square pegs and get on with getting our best players on the pitch together.

Ripley

Dummigan

Wilson

Clarke

Burgess

Reckord

Green

Fane

Banks/Winchester if you're that way inclined

Then see which 2 strikers look good together in training and stick with it for a decent run

The supposed pace of McLoughlin and Martin to be used from the bench if we need a change.

That would be 5-3-2 then as Dummigan and Rekord certainly arn't midfielders.

Don't know enough about Reckord but from what I've seen of Dummigan he's more than capable of playing wing back.

The few times I saw Dummigan play RWB when Sheridan was in charge he was :censored: at that role.

Reckord didn't look that good as a LWB either in pre-season but improved when just standard LB with someone infront of him.

Only Croft could be classed as an out and out winger.

The squad is set up for 3-5-2, they need to play it and have the bollocks to stick with it for longer than a half.

Croft isn't an out and out winger...absolute bear minimum is average pace to be a winger to get past a man.

The few times I saw Dummigan play RWB when Sheridan was in charge he was :censored: at that role.

Reckord didn't look that good as a LWB either in pre-season but improved when just standard LB with someone infront of him.

Both are full backs and need wingers in front of them, which we know won't happen though.

Both are full backs and need wingers in front of them, which we know won't happen though.

I'm hoping for a Dummigan and McLaughlin combination down the right. We know Dummigan is a good player and McLaughlin came in with some good reviews.

Reckord appears to be attack minded and looks to overlap, so a Reckord and Flynn combination might work well on the left side.

Guest nonaenever

Given that we've gradually moved closer and closer to a Northern Ireland set up I doubt anyone with an argument they've got talent has got a chance of getting in.

Of everything I have read on OWTB, this comment sums up the problem for me. There appears to be no "plan B" - our manager thinks there is only one way - a very negative, dull, boring, lifeless, soulless, :censored: brand of football that might get you through a competition of half a dozen games "with dignity". Over a season, however, you will get found out and will have increased the NHS prescription rate for anti-depressants amongst the Oldham population by around 500%.

Of everything I have read on OWTB, this comment sums up the problem for me. There appears to be no "plan B" - our manager thinks there is only one way - a very negative, dull, boring, lifeless, soulless, :censored: brand of football that might get you through a competition of half a dozen games "with dignity". Over a season, however, you will get found out and will have increased the NHS prescription rate for anti-depressants amongst the Oldham population by around 500%.

Think he deserves a bit more credit than this nonsense.

There's definitely a plan B as the two halves at Coventry showed.

It's just both plans are dull.

Didn't you love the gaffer three games ago?