Team against Charlton

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were the better team on the night - actually played some decent stuff at times, and certainly one of our better performances this season. We'd have felt very hard done by if we'd gone home empty handed, as Charlton on the whole were poor (though not as bad as some are making out).

A bit more width, and some attacking intent from our full-backs made a nice change, and proved effective, though Reckord looked a bit rusty. And quite how Ladapo, and to an even greater extent Erwin contrived to miss from six yards out I don't know. Erwin's (from a terrific ball across from Mckay) really was a shocking miss, with the goal gaping. Other than that though, he played quite well after coming on, and both Ladapo and Mckay worked hard, though often fruitlessly - both spurned half-decent chances (Mckay's largely a result of falling on his arse in the penalty area...).

Fane broke up play well, but spends far much of his time playing sideways. Several times he had 20/30 yards of space to drive into, and instead passed it backwards to the full-back. His passing in general really is something that he needs to work on. Thought Green played well, and was probably our best player on the night, whilst Flynn and McLaughlin both looked better than they have done recently, showing occasional glimpses of class out wide.

Dummigan was pretty solid on (second) debut, and the centre-halves both played pretty well - their goal aside - though Burgess really is a bit of a donkey. Ripley had very little to do, other than a couple of straightforward saves which he dealt with well. Being especially harsh, you might say he should done better for their goal, but I'm not sure that's entirely justified.

All in all, then, it was a pretty promising display against a team containing some decent players. I'd be surprised if Robinson makes (m)any changes for Saturday, with the possible exception of Erwin for Ladapo, and maybe a more forward-thinking central midfielder for Fane.

A HUGE improvement on Swindon at the weekend.

We were the better team on the night - actually played some decent stuff at times, and certainly one of our better performances this season. We'd have felt very hard done by if we'd gone home empty handed, as Charlton on the whole were poor (though not as bad as some are making out).

A bit more width, and some attacking intent from our full-backs made a nice change, and proved effective, though Reckord looked a bit rusty. And quite how Ladapo, and to an even greater extent Erwin contrived to miss from six yards out I don't know. Erwin's (from a terrific ball across from Mckay) really was a shocking miss, with the goal gaping. Other than that though, he played quite well after coming on, and both Ladapo and Mckay worked hard, though often fruitlessly - both spurned half-decent chances (Mckay's largely a result of falling on his arse in the penalty area...).

Fane broke up play well, but spends far much of his time playing sideways. Several times he had 20/30 yards of space to drive into, and instead passed it backwards to the full-back. His passing in general really is something that he needs to work on. Thought Green played well, and was probably our best player on the night, whilst Flynn and McLaughlin both looked better than they have done recently, showing occasional glimpses of class out wide.

Dummigan was pretty solid on (second) debut, and the centre-halves both played pretty well - their goal aside - though Burgess really is a bit of a donkey. Ripley had very little to do, other than a couple of straightforward saves which he dealt with well. Being especially harsh, you might say he should done better for their goal, but I'm not sure that's entirely justified.

All in all, then, it was a pretty promising display against a team containing some decent players. I'd be surprised if Robinson makes (m)any changes for Saturday, with the possible exception of Erwin for Ladapo, and maybe a more forward-thinking central midfielder for Fane.

A HUGE improvement on Swindon at the weekend.

The problem has been the previous away tactics haven't worked at home, will this one?

The problem has been the previous away tactics haven't worked at home, will this one?

I'd still like to see a more creative central midfielder playing at home. But otherwise, yeah, I think so. It was far less of a "backs against the wall" mentality than in previous games. There were even glimpses of flair, occasionally.