Team against Charlton

Seen as we're all agreed that we cannot play that starting XI Tuesday night what would you put out? Personally I feel we need mass changes to make a point to the players that dross like that is unacceptable.

I'd go with :

Ripley,

Dumminagn, Clarke, Burgess, Reckord

Flynn, Fane, Green, Erwin

Osei

Ladapo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If fit i'd go with:-

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Burgess

Reckord

Osei

Green

Fane

Flynn

Mckay

Ladapo

I'd drop Erwin, give Mckay another go, he hasn't played much with Ladapo yet, we need to try and find a combination that looks threatening.

Midfield is the biggest worry for me, I'd stick with 442, Fane and Green pick themselves in my opinion. Flynn has quality and needs to start showing it, he gets another chance on the wing. Osei, obviously isn't a winger, but I'd start him there, he works hard, has a bit of pace, tries taking on a man, something we are lacking, we have no one else who has really shown anything on the wing so why not.

Drop both full backs if possible, i think they are both poor, not seen much of Reckord but he has looked better than Dunne, and we know Dummigan is good if he's fit.

Dummigan, Reckord, Flynn and Fane HAVE to start.

I thought Fane was a defensive substitution today when we needed goals, he didn't make much of a contribution. Hard to think of anyone of the 14 apart from Ripley who deserves to keep his place. No doubt it will be backs to the wall at Charlton.

We've not scored from open play yet this league season. Until that is fixed we simply have no chance of winning, except for the odd lucky game.

Creative midfielder absolutely required: Flynn, Banks, Winchester - one of them needs to have a good game at some point or else this will continue.

Fane and Green are just obvious selections, as are Burgess and Clarke. Dummigan or Law - not the worst of our worries. Reckord over Dunne for me.

Erwin is our best and only striker to score. He has to play. Then it's Mckay or Ladapo.

We're not balanced in midfield and it's causing us problems. You simply have to have a link between attack and defence, and we don't have one when Flynn plays as poorly as he has. Why do none of those attacking midfielders look like they want to find the ball like Harkins did? They shy from responsibility in my eyes.

Defeats are always going to come if you can't score. Pressure mounts. It's not simply tactics for me, it's getting those players who are underwhelming to perform.

Edited by NewBlue

We've not scored from open play yet this league season. Until that is fixed we simply have no chance of winning, except for the odd lucky game.

Creative midfielder absolutely required: Flynn, Banks, Winchester - one of them needs to have a good game at some point or else this will continue.

Fane and Green are just obvious selections, as are Burgess and Clarke. Dummigan or Law - not the worst of our worries. Reckord over Dunne for me.

Erwin is our best and only striker to score. He has to play. Then it's Mckay or Ladapo.

We're not balanced in midfield and it's causing us problems. You simply have to have a link between attack and defence, and we don't have one when Flynn plays as poorly as he has. Why do none of those attacking midfielders look like they want to find the ball like Harkins did? They shy from responsibility in my eyes.

Defeats are always going to come if you can't score. Pressure mounts. It's not simply tactics for me, it's getting those players who are underwhelming to perform.

Flynn and banks have had a shot this season...see no harm in seeing what Winchester has to offer.

I would hate to be a striker in this team. It's clear it's set up to try and not concede goals each game and snatch on in the break!

Negative, uninspiring football that I'm sure the players hate!

Edited by super_blue

Much as I touted Cameron Burgess I feel Charles Dunne may switch to centre back with Reckord at left back.

Dummigam at right back for Law.

Midfield to be rejigged with some pace, but it doesn't seem to matter who's up front as none can score.

Edited by BP1960

I'm sure the boys will put in a shift for Robbo at Charlton, shame they can't manage a decent 90 minutes at home in front of their own fans. Was thinking of going down but I'd have to be :censored:ing stupid to turn up to see us get battered in London on a Tuesday night. I'm not even bothered who he puts out to be honest at the minute but most of those who played today will be lucky if they are selected.

Seen as we're all agreed that we cannot play that starting XI Tuesday night what would you put out? Personally I feel we need mass changes to make a point to the players that dross like that is unacceptable.

I'd go with :

Ripley,

Dumminagn, Clarke, Burgess, Reckord

Flynn, Fane, Green, Erwin

Osei

Ladapo

I disagree - get back to the settled lineup we looked solid, if unspectacular, with. Maybe bring Dummigan in for Law... Maybe Reckord back in for Dunne who's level has dropped and might benefit from a rest..

I'd drop Ladapo who's been totally anonymous.

Ripley

Dummigan/Law

Clarke

Burgess

Dunne/Reckord

Flynn

Fane

Green

Klok

Erwin

Mckay

I thought Fane was a defensive substitution today when we needed goals, he didn't make much of a contribution. Hard to think of anyone of the 14 apart from Ripley who deserves to keep his place. No doubt it will be backs to the wall at Charlton.

I thought Fane was already our second best player after Ripley after about 10 minutes of being on,

Edited by HarryBosch

How could Klok possibly start on Tuesday, we must have a youth player who'd offer more than he has so far this season. Banks as well is a waste of a wage, I watched him alone for about 10 minutes today and he only looks bothered when there's a free kick to be took, never picks a man up and has the pace of a one legged sloth, shocking player.

Much as I touted Cameron Burgess I feel Charles Dunne may switch to centre back with Reckord at left back.

Dummigam at right back for Law.

Midfield to be rejigged with some pace, but it doesn't seem to matter who's up front as none can score.

Bit of a chicken-and-egg debate this, but I really don't think it's the strikers that are the main problem. I think it's more the midfield and the formation. Mckay and Ladapo have both been pretty prolific in the past (albeit at a lower level) and Osei - although raw - looks like he's got goals in him.

The problem is that they're feeding off scraps most of the time. We lack a creative midfielder who can unlock defences and create decent chances for the front-men, and we're also missing wingers who come even remotely close to being consistent, which is why we often line up with either Klok or one of the strikers playing out wide. I can't see how we're going to score regularly from open-play like this.

I appreciate that SR's main focus seems to be on getting us defensively organised, and being a threat from set-pieces, but I really don't think we look good enough at being either of those things to assume that they alone will be enough to keep us up. Away from home I can see the logic in that as a strategy, but at some point we're going to have to take the game to teams at BP or we just won't win enough games.

I do have faith in SR to turn it around though. In Ripley, Clarke and Green, he's put together the spine of a very solid side at this level, and (...today apart) I don't think we've looked a million miles away for most of the season. The next five league games (Charlton (A), MK Dons (H), Gillingham (A), Bolton (A), Scunthorpe (H)) look very tricky though; it might get worse before it gets better...

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Burgess

Reckord

Flynn

Fane

Green

Winchester

Osei

McKay

Going to need pace on the counter, Erwin has been our best forward thus far, but looks like he needs a break.

Try and get a good hour out of Winchester before he tires, hopefully picking up pockets of space as they inevitably push forward and hope for the best.

I would love for out and out wingers but don't think Tuesday is the day for it, I feel a heavy defeat with our upcoming fixtures could see us firmly rooted to table proppers.

Given that we've gradually moved closer and closer to a Northern Ireland set up I doubt anyone with an argument they've got talent has got a chance of getting in. But if we're hanging onto the 'definitely changes' line from Robbo's post-match comments then I'd change the following:

Dummigan MUST come in for Law, who had improved for a few games but we are crying out for pace, width, energy and let's be honest Dummigan is just simply a far better RB. Reckord for Dunne, who has slowly gone backwards and is a bit of liability defensively.

As for the midfield, where on earth do we start?!! Klok is one of the single worst footballers I have seen at BP over the last 26 years - no technique, headless chicken, walking yellow/red card (if he could get near them) & I watched his movement when we had the ball 1st half and it was utterly horrendous - no clue what to do. Banks wants the game to be played in slow motion, decent technique but opposition passes him by when we haven't got the ball. Crofty hasn't started a game well for 2 years. Added to this I feel Ewrin needs a rest and I'd like to see the partnership from the 1st half against Carlisle, which looked fruitful, have another chance - Ladapo and McKay - and they could complement each other. The 2 up top yesterday, granted with no service, were playing on different pitches and didn't link up at all.

Let's bring in some players with a bit of technical ability; Winny, Flynn, Dummigan, Fane. Also tempted to play Wilson with Clarke.

Ripley

Dummigan

Clarke

Wilson

Reckford

Fane

Green

Winchester

Flynn

Ladapo

McKay

Law had a shocker today. Dunne couldn't stay on his feet. Klok is average at best. Croft didn't provide anything of value. Banks is lightweight.

That's five I'd replace.

Who with? Lucky dip time.

Dummingananam.

Reckord.

Fane.

McLaughlin.

Winchester.

This for me. Yesterday was the fifth game I have watched this season. So far I have not seen us score a single goal...

It is time for Robinson to change the personnel and the approach at home. The display yesterday was nothing short of shocking.

Neither full back looks up to it but the huge concern for me (apart from our lack of goals) is the midfield.

I wrote after the opening game that we badly need a creative midfielder and nothing has changed. Banks, Croft and Klok were poor yesterday and our only tactic seemed to be the long ball up to an out of sorts Erwin.

Time for the management team to step up. Over to you Mr Robinson.

I hope he just plays two out and out strikers up top and down the middle. Two out and out wingers out wide. The strikers spend more time out wide than they do i the middle where they can score some goals. This is due to negative tactics as Robinson wants his strikers wide so if or when we lose the ball they can slot in to make a midfield five and stop the oppositions full backs getting posetion and moving forward down the flanks. Two proper wingers should be doing this job in the oppositions defensive part of the pitch with the fullbacks pushed up on the half way line watching their wingers. It does leave things a little less solid defensively but a fullback and a covering centre half should be able to deal with that threat.