It's the hope that kills you

We've stumbled from one crisis to the next since Shez first left and then blitz walked in 2009 and 2010.

I'm far from a happy clapper and have often been criticised for calling a spade a spade. But I've always thought that somewhere along the line a corner would be turned. Last week against Swindon and today the penny dropped. We're simply devoid of hope under the present regime. All we have to loook forward to is a long withering decline. Yes Robinson's tactics are poor but we are reaping the benefits of the chaos of last summer and when you shop in the bargain basement then invariably you end up with poor quality.

Like others I've been a season ticket holder for years and I've been bored :censored:less for the last 7 years. Home goals are rarer than rocking horse :censored: and home wins even rarer. 7 home wins since we beat Rochdale in March 2015 that's where we're at. Barely 3000 home fans yesterday the club is dying. I don't want to be there and see the club I have loved for 30 years playing on the conference or lower but that's where Corney is taking us.

No leadership, no direction, no plan, no hope and it's the hope that kills you.

After 30 years and ST or not I've decided to pick and choose my games neither the football or the cartoon the club have become are worthy of sacrificing my Saturday week after week.

Edited by oafcprozac

Guest nonaenever

Feel exactly the same way oafcprozac - I was in a horrible, angry mood when I got home from the match and the missus asked why? I have tried to explain to her that Latics has been a part of my life since I was a kid - and I now feel like I want a divorce (quickly explained from the Latics not her!). It's not right that this is happening - I feel powerless to do anything because there just seems to be so much apathy from the fans generally. We are in a terrible, terrible mess - in my view, the rapidly dwindling support will result in us going bust. I know some don't agree but I fail to see how the cash-flow can sustain our outgoings.

Look after the "football" on the pitch and the rest will look after itself - is that too hard to grasp for those in charge?

We've stumbled from one crisis to the next since Shez first left and then blitz walked in 2009 and 2010.

No leadership, no direction, no plan, no hope and it's the hope that kills you.

After 30 years and ST or not I've decided to pick and choose my games neither the football or the cartoon the club have become are worthy of sacrificing my Saturday week after week.

I spent yesterday afternoon jet-washing my drive trying to get rid of the weeds.

It was mind numbingly dull, repetitive and in the end all a bit pointless. But I saved £24.

Maybe it is Glossop I stayed away for the best part of two months last season. Shez reinvigorated my interest. This season I have already booked several trips away without even checking the fixtures and I've already decided that I won't be there against Scunthorpe and Bristol Rovers. And I'm even considering giving Bolton and Dale a miss. I wasn't at the Chesterfield game and didn't even miss it. My apathy has developed over a long time, like many I attend out of habit and the notion of 'I might miss summat'. I always convince myself with what else might I do on a Saturday? TBH I'm now at that stage of my life where I think there's plenty of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been scared of getting out of the habit of going because I know that will be it. last November to January until shez Returned the towel had gone in. Shez walking and the ludicrous situation we found ourselves in over the summer has further killed my passion. After an encouraging start the optimism has disappeared and settled down into the realisation of enduring insipid inspireless football with a team of loanees and short term deals no one else wants, we'll plod on until January when the whole merry go round will start again just like it has for the last 7 years. This season the apathy from me is worse. So I'll be picking and choosing from now on and as you say Glossop I've considered not renewing in the past the only reason I did this year was the offer. Next season Corney won't be able to give ST's away.

Those of you that are keeping the faith I fully respect it. I've reached the end of the road as I said earlier once the hope dies there's nothing left. That's where I am at the moment...

Well it's a shame you feel that way but I'm not going to blame you at all I did consider binning Latics off yesterday and going watching Glossop North End part of me wishes I did.

It's pretty grim right now but it's been grim in the past and we've been able to avoid oblivion I'm just going out of hope that it will turn round at the moment. Plus as I've bought a season ticket I'm going to stick it out and come through it. Things can turn round I'm not sure how but it can their is always hope.

I used to know every Latics fixture for the season, now I cant even be bothered to check who we play next at home, and as I mentioned before in a thread before the MK Dons game, 'Why am I going thinking we will lose'?

Apathy has crept in with many fans, and it seems some players too.

I used to know every Latics fixture for the season, now I cant even be bothered to check who we play next at home ...

That's exactly what I've done this season too! I used to plan my work holiday entitlement out around Latics home games and I reckon I probably used to use about the equivalent of a week off, and that's before any postponed games!

I'm away in less than a fortnight and I'm not even sure how many I'm missing whilst away .. I'll also be missing a months worth whilst in NZ during Feb/Mar next year but haven't even looked to see whixh teams they are!

The decision to not bother booking anytime off this season is simply down to the apathy you mention .. it really pisses me off when I finish a night shift, get to bed around 7am then up around lunch to watch the inevitable drivel served up at what was once a fortress! .. I then also leave the game, grab some dinner and back know to work for another 12 hour night shift having had little sleep!

I figure until they put a shift in like I believe I do then I won't be bothering and take the week of time off on a cruise ship somewhere instead!

I've always said, that people who stay away won't come back unless the product on offer is absolutely impossible to pass up on ... there's a million reasons why people stay, but only ONE reason you make the effort to go back!

Maybe it is Glossop I stayed away for the best part of two months last season. Shez reinvigorated my interest. This season I have already booked several trips away without even checking the fixtures and I've already decided that I won't be there against Scunthorpe and Bristol Rovers. And I'm even considering giving Bolton and Dale a miss. I wasn't at the Chesterfield game and didn't even miss it. My apathy has developed over a long time, like many I attend out of habit and the notion of 'I might miss summat'. I always convince myself with what else might I do on a Saturday? TBH I'm now at that stage of my life where I think there's plenty of other things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been scared of getting out of the habit of going because I know that will be it. last November to January until shez Returned the towel had gone in. Shez walking and the ludicrous situation we found ourselves in over the summer has further killed my passion. After an encouraging start the optimism has disappeared and settled down into the realisation of enduring insipid inspireless football with a team of loanees and short term deals no one else wants, we'll plod on until January when the whole merry go round will start again just like it has for the last 7 years. This season the apathy from me is worse. So I'll be picking and choosing from now on and as you say Glossop I've considered not renewing in the past the only reason I did this year was the offer. Next season Corney won't be able to give ST's away.

Those of you that are keeping the faith I fully respect it. I've reached the end of the road as I said earlier once the hope dies there's nothing left. That's where I am at the moment...

Pretty much sums up where I'm at. What's killing it for me though is the style of football more than anything, as a Latics fan I don't expect to win every week, but I do expect a bit of excitement and leave thinking we've given it a good go. At the moment I'm bored :censored:less.

He might not have stayed anyway - amongst all the rumours it's been difficult to pinpoint the actual reason(s) he went - but we wouldn't have had these crowds and Corney probably wouldn't have had to move that £140k had we just given Shez what he wanted.

False economy yet again - even if we'd still found ourselves bottom under Shez there would have been more season ticket money in the coffers and he'd have at least signed a player or two that could produce a bit of skill and entertain from time to time.

I still have a feeling Robinson will get it right though. His thoughts in his interviews are largely spot on and a stark contrast to the :censored:e Dunn was trawling out when we were similarly poor under him.

There's nothing he can do in terms of signings until January so the 3000 of us that are left have got no choice but to support him and his players and that's what we should do.

There's no point anyone voting with their feet in protest (in abject boredom would be understandable) until January when doing so might encourage SC to dig deep for a striker or two who can hit a cows arse with a banjo, or at least try to...

Edited by HarryBosch

If i'm honest i am now going to the match as i feel i have to. Not because i want to, not because there is any hope of us scoring a goal never mind winning a game. I am at the point where Saturdays supporting Latics is actually ruining my weekends. I've paid for my season ticket but my son has now started to ask to come to the football with me. There is no way i am taking him to our place for his first experience of football as i feel it will put him off the game for life. My Saturdays will now be spent with my boy away from Oldham Athletic. After 30 odd years i finally give in. Things might change if Corney either finds some investment and a competant board of directors or even better sells the club for a reasonable price. I don't think he will sell the club however unless forced to by administration. Why would he? He can make money out of all his little football club side busineseses while he screws the actual football side of things so far into the ground it is actually unsaleable.

I've paid for my season ticket but my son has now started to ask to come to the football with me. There is no way i am taking him to our place for his first experience of football as i feel it will put him off the game for life.

My lad (age 6) thinks it's ace. And mithers me to go week in, week out.

I wasn't expecting him to disappoint me so greatly this early in his life......

My lad (age 6) thinks it's ace. And mithers me to go week in, week out.

I wasn't expecting him to disappoint me so greatly this early in his life......

I can't be arsed going over myself anymore. It's only a stones throw from my house, but I still can't be arsed.

However, I don't want my lad (currently 14 months) to decide he wants to be a City or United fan once he becomes more aware. I'm going to have to put myself through the misery when the time comes but, for now, I'm happy to enjoy my Saturdays...

I think it is the lack of a long term plan that is seeing the fans slowly drift away. Most people want to support a club, not a never ending revolving door of journeyman players and managers. This league 1 survival or bust mentallity does my head in and is one of the main reasons my interest is on the wain. Give us something to buy into, whether it is recruiting managers with an attacking philosophy, or a desire to bring through young players of our own and it could go a long way to stopping the rot. I just can't see anything like this happening under the current ownership.