Southend game

Guest nonaenever

Extra training.

An interesting debate (!) which I won't get dragged into but there is quite a serious point come out as quoted above. From the outside looking in it appears that the whole training regime is very poor i.e. 1) we have professional footballers on the books who have been training with the club all season but who cannot yet apparently manage a full game of football - quite staggering 2) We have a supposed full set of strikers (one of who, don't forget, Robbo describes as one of the best finishers he has ever worked with - I chuckle every time I recall this quote) who can't hit a barn door between them - utterly staggering 3) We look useless from Robbo's famously productive set pieces - truly staggering 4) we are playing the worst type of football witnessed in living memory - staggering beyond belief and 5) after 2 weeks to train and prepare for a vital cup match against a non-league team, we perform like a bunch of spineless half wits - quite, utterly, truly, staggering beyond belief!

What does all that tell you about our training regime?

Personally, I`d put Robbo and co on a month's garden leave - tell Clarke to take training and do the team talks - and see what happens.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting debate (!) which I won't get dragged into but there is quite a serious point come out as quoted above. From the outside looking in it appears that the whole training regime is very poor i.e. 1) we have professional footballers on the books who have been training with the club all season but who cannot yet apparently manage a full game of football - quite staggering 2) We have a supposed full set of strikers (one of who, don't forget, Robbo describes as one of the best finishers he has ever worked with - I chuckle every time I recall this quote) who can't hit a barn door between them - utterly staggering 3) We look useless from Robbo's famously productive set pieces - truly staggering 4) we are playing the worst type of football witnessed in living memory - staggering beyond belief and 5) after 2 weeks to train and prepare for a vital cup match against a non-league team, we perform like a bunch of spineless half wits - quite, utterly, truly, staggering beyond belief!

What does all that tell you about our training regime?

Personally, I`d put Robbo and co on a month's garden leave - tell Clarke to take training and do the team talks - and see what happens.

Strikes me some players are basically lazy.

Making their own butties is just too far and will destroy the little flowers but a day grafting in a factory or extra running is ok in your book?

I actually think your ideas are fine. Just don't see the big deal in them having to be a bit more humble and making their own toast in a morning

I hoped the carrot and stick analogy would explain that for you. One is a punishment, one is an education.

What does all that tell you about our training regime

Yet again i agree.

Completely agree myself with them not getting fed and watered, some of these players will be on > £1k a week why should they get waited on twice a day for being wank? Making them scramble there own eggs and putting some beans on the hob or putting porridge in the microwave at home before they rock up for training at about 10am, bless them dont know how they'll cope

Completely agree myself with them not getting fed and watered, some of these players will be on > £1k a week why should they get waited on twice a day for being wank? Making them scramble there own eggs and putting some beans on the hob or putting porridge in the microwave at home before they rock up for training at about 10am, bless them dont know how they'll cope

Doesn't reflect well on a supposedly professional outfit.

I wouldn't trust these players with a microwave.

Not if they're contracted to us!

Would love to know there basic pay before bonuses but id hazard a guess that Clarke, Green and Flynn are on over £1k, and a decent chunk will be in the £700 - £999 category, ill give them directions to Home Bargains they can get a dozen free range eggs and 6 tins of heinz for about £3.50 breakfasts sorted

I think people are getting side tracked by the actual food. I don't think the issue is can these poor petals fend for themselves. It's more the way it's come out as a punishment for naughty little school children. It's not going to get the response you want if I was them I'd be thinking stuff em I don't want their food especially if I was on loan that wud probably be me finished. Being an employer of over 50 staff you accept you won't please everyone but you can certainly get the majority on side which makes easier to deal with the minority. To me they have just alienated the whole squad. It's like a class detention because 5 of the class were talking

Edited by OAFCinWolves

I think people are getting side tracked by the actual food. I don't think the issue is can these poor petals fend for themselves. It's more the way it's come out as a punishment for naughty little school children. It's not going to get the response you want if I was them I'd be thinking stuff em I don't want their food especially if I was on loan that wud probably be me finished. Being an employer of over 50 staff you accept you won't please everyone but you can certainly get the majority on side which makes easier to deal with the minority. To me they have just alienated the whole squad. It's like a class detention because 5 of the class were talking

Agree with this was only pissing about with the food bit, it seems in this case 95% of the class has been naughty I.e not performing. Could well be being done as a cost cutting exercise but should also come as a stark reminder to many that if you keep going this way, you will have to make your own breakfast and lunch whilst also doing a full days graft holding down a normal job and maybe training at night if you want to stay in the game in some shape or form, as I can see a good chunk of this squad struggle to get another professional contact if they dont shape up and quickly

For me this is entirely a cost cutting exercise, although I would agree a misguided one.

Agree with this was only pissing about with the food bit, it seems in this case 95% of the class has been naughty I.e not performing. Could well be being done as a cost cutting exercise but should also come as a stark reminder to many that if you keep going this way, you will have to make your own breakfast and lunch whilst also doing a full days graft holding down a normal job and maybe training at night if you want to stay in the game in some shape or form, as I can see a good chunk of this squad struggle to get another professional contact if they dont shape up and quickly

Perhaps the food stunt is a reminder to many what it will be like when the are in non league if they don't shape up.

Doubt these "punishments" really work. Human nature means that each player, especially the loanees, blames Oldham Athletic, the manager, the players around them and thinks that they are better than everyone else and will just get a contract elsewhere when they need it!