Anthony Gerrard

4 hours ago, fleetwood Blue said:

Hopefully weening out the negative influences in the changing room aswell as cutting that wage bill. I don't expect to see Byrne in a latics shirt again.

Good riddance to both of them. Both bad, negative influences in the dressing room. FB and AR are trying to cultivate a team ethic within the club, and everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.

Both of them will be on decent money so perhaps we can get a proven goalscorer in instead of them. Fingers crossed.

8 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

Good riddance to both of them. Both bad, negative influences in the dressing room. FB and AR are trying to cultivate a team ethic within the club, and everyone needs to be pulling in the same direction.

Both of them will be on decent money so perhaps we can get a proven goalscorer in instead of them. Fingers crossed.

Bang on for me.

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

I’m all for work ethic and discipline if it get results! But a butch of hard working has beens don’t get u promoted. 

It nearly worked for Shrewsbury last season so why wouldn’t it work for us. 

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

I’m all for work ethic and discipline if it get results! But a butch of hard working has beens don’t get u promoted. 

It has worked before for us when we where in the old division 4. You are perhaps too young to remember that and it also worked when we gained promotion from Division 4 to Division 3. We had lots of has been players but they worked well for each other and tried bloody hard to get us promoted. In these divisions the club can not afford to pay transfer fees so you have to get players that are prepared to graft bloody hard for the cause. The manager and players have to be in tune with what needs to be achieved. This league is not s league for players who think they are the next Ronaldo or Messi. It’s all about being able to grind out results by working together for the good of the club not for individual egos.

4 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

It has worked before for us when we where in the old division 4. You are perhaps too young to remember that and it also worked when we gained promotion from Division 4 to Division 3. We had lots of has been players but they worked well for each other and tried bloody hard to get us promoted. In these divisions the club can not afford to pay transfer fees so you have to get players that are prepared to graft bloody hard for the cause. The manager and players have to be in tune with what needs to be achieved. This league is not s league for players who think they are the next Ronaldo or Messi. It’s all about being able to grind out results by working together for the good of the club not for individual egos.

I feel the 22 makes me sound young, I’m not 22 but yes too young to remember anything other than the prem and the downward spiral ever since

Is Gerrard genuinely a bad influence in the changing room?  He’s been vocal on social media but that’s a result of what’s gone on within the club - late and unpaid wages, players being criticised in front of fellow players, special treatment for other players.  

As I said in another post, some people are silent protestors but others aren’t.  You can’t stop them I’m afraid as it’s their character and their faults.

Gerrard is only saying what a lot of fans have previously said in past seasons.  It shows he cares.

Its fair to say he played through injury last season.  He tried to lead when others disappeared on the pitch.  He’s never been blessed with pace and he’s not getting younger but has he been that much of a liability?

If he can still do a job, which FB alluded to yesterday that he could, then he needs to be managed effectively.  In a work environment some react bad to change plus uncertainty and rely on communication and involvement.  Gerrard is one of those.  You need to use his character of being vocal and opinionated correctly and positively.  

If if he can’t do a job then he’ll fester.  Best for both parties to move on.

37 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Is Gerrard genuinely a bad influence in the changing room?  He’s been vocal on social media but that’s a result of what’s gone on within the club - late and unpaid wages, players being criticised in front of fellow players, special treatment for other players.  

As I said in another post, some people are silent protestors but others aren’t.  You can’t stop them I’m afraid as it’s their character and their faults.

Gerrard is only saying what a lot of fans have previously said in past seasons.  It shows he cares.

Its fair to say he played through injury last season.  He tried to lead when others disappeared on the pitch.  He’s never been blessed with pace and he’s not getting younger but has he been that much of a liability?

If he can still do a job, which FB alluded to yesterday that he could, then he needs to be managed effectively.  In a work environment some react bad to change plus uncertainty and rely on communication and involvement.  Gerrard is one of those.  You need to use his character of being vocal and opinionated correctly and positively.  

It shows he cares?

It only shows he cares about himself. 

56 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

It shows he cares?

It only shows he cares about himself. 

Dont we all if we have families, commitments etc?

I'm not defending his conduct but just keeping an open mind.  If he’s gone and we’ve not had to settle his wages then I’m not really fussed.  Byrne on the other hand is someone we need to keep

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Even more reason to go about things in a more responsible way.

I agree.  As said not defending him as I wouldn’t be as vocal publicly but would have discussed internally.  That said, we really don’t know what’s gone on behind closed doors.

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I think it right to keep an open mind too. Urban myths can generate very quickly.
That said some of Gerrard's tweets have been atrocious.

I'm sure it is not so uncommon, but It is unusual to have it all played out so publicly.

If we end up a la Orient of Stockport then Gerrard might be looked upon as one of the few that spoke out.

OF course, we could easily end up much better off having weeded out disruptive influences.
A bit too early to tell.

7 hours ago, Midsblue said:

He’s a tosser of  the first degree. Why did Huddersfield sack him???? Why wouldn’t any other club touch him with a barge pole before he signed for us??? I’ll tell you why . It’s because he spread untrue rumours at other clubs and the clubs chairman would not stand for it. So who says players where treated differently?? Was this a made up rumour or was it fact. Makes you wonder. I would not trust what he says about anything. It’s no wonder Bunn does not want him anywhere near the dressing room now he’s got settled players who want to fight for the club. The sooner he goes the better and then there will be one billy big balls left. Oh yes and Bunn says there could be a place for him , however he would have to change his ways not only his fitness but also learn how to control his mouth and what garbage that comes out of it.

Edited by Smiler13

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Interesting on here that, how shall I say-the more prolific posters seem to feel strongest about his off field activities.

So abusing your fanbase and their families and the town you represent is fair game then? I've actually praised his efforts on the pitch particularly when he came in with Shez twice and we avoided relegation but it's almost as if he's been pushing for the move with his social media activity on the back of what was a poor season for everyone, I suspect he's the type of guy who just can't help himself though and that's why it always seems to turn sour when things don't go the way he wants, clubs hardly queuing up to take him though are they and is only real hope may be Shez.

13 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Much the same debate as on here-the lad was a decent footballer but too outspoken for some.

Interesting on here that, how shall I say-the more prolific posters seem to feel strongest about his off field activities.

Quite a lot of them seem to think he was nothing like as good as he thought he was.

Re: the second part, you seem to defend him at all costs. Why do you think there's a conspiracy against him rather than people not liking the things he did?