Lee Croft

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At times earlier in the season I thought Croft was one of our better players (not difficult I know given performances), and has the ability to influence a game at this level.

My issue with him isn't a one off mistake and one that was far more understandable (a lunge for a ball after losing possession) than Gerard's against Chesterfield. Difference being one game we lost and one we won.

Croft isn't generally a player you worry about his risk of a red card.

However, like Gerrard, his lack of effort in terms of being in good physical shape at this stage of the season - is something I have issue with.

Professional footballers shouldn't look like they are carrying that amount of weight. No excuse for it.

A player mistimed a tackle.

Red or no red I could see him leaving at the end of the season.

Shez will hold it against him in terms of future selection.

These things happen and the manager has been in football long enough to know it.

If they weren't fit enough to do themselves justice they wouldn't get on the pitch.

Bet if you compared all the stats he would come out of it just fine.

He's a decent player and by all accounts a decent lad who's always given his all for us, bizarre that certain folk always want to stick the boot into him.

A player mistimed a tackle.

Red or no red I could see him leaving at the end of the season.

Shez will hold it against him in terms of future selection.

These things happen and the manager has been in football long enough to know it.

It wasn't just mistimed, it was very high, with studs up. Can't understand what he was thinking. An experienced player should be able to be trusted not to do something so stupid and leave us a man down for near enough the whole game. Like you say, I'm sure Sheridan will have that in mind and I don't see Croft starting another game.

If they weren't fit enough to do themselves justice they wouldn't get on the pitch.

Bet if you compared all the stats he would come out of it just fine.

He's a decent player and by all accounts a decent lad who's always given his all for us, bizarre that certain folk always want to stick the boot into him.

He might be a decent lad

A decent player, he hasn't been for a very long time. And one of the biggest reasons for that...the caravan he's been towing...the only bizarre thing is that people still stick up for him. Even Welshgaz (his biggest fan) has seen the light.

Always liked Crofty - wingers / wide players often my favourite player in the squad.

Ability is there, but fitness and weight are things directly within his control. At the moment he isn't doing enough to earn a new deal for me and time is running out for him to prove me and others wrong.

Perhaps a very low wage with a pay as you play incentive could be the best he can hope for. David Eyres was fitter and more hungry when he retired (though he looked as though he could have done at least one more season at the time).

Always liked Crofty - wingers / wide players often my favourite player in the squad.

Perhaps a very low wage with a pay as you play incentive could be the best he can hope for. David Eyres was fitter and more hungry when he retired (though he looked as though he could have done at least one more season at the time).

I doubt he is on a big wage

I like is attitude and he seems to be very popular around the club but at the end of the day hard desicions have to be made and frankly we can do better, even on the SC minimum wage structure.

Edited by OLDHAM MUMPS

Is Crofty really on £1600 a week, bloody hell that's a lot of money for a bit part player at best, out of interest what would it have cost us to exercise our option and keep Dieng for another season, no more I'd guess.

Think 1600 was the average wage that came out from the meeting?

Is Crofty really on £1600 a week, bloody hell that's a lot of money for a bit part player at best, out of interest what would it have cost us to exercise our option and keep Dieng for another season, no more I'd guess.

According to Corney the average player wage is £1,600 a week.

Simply find that hard to believe. In the days when players were paid a lot more at League One level than in todays market, Kevin Betsy wanted £1,800 a week from us (same as what he was on at Barnsley.) We refused to pay it and he got that money at Wycombe (he told me this personally in Ibiza at the San An Cup.) I find it difficult to believe that £1,600 a week is our average now. It sounds good though.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Simply find that hard to believe. In the days when players were paid a lot more at League One level than in todays market, Kevin Betsy wanted £1,800 a week from us (same as what he was on at Barnsley.) We refused to pay it and he got that money at Wycombe (he told me this personally in Ibiza at the San An Cup.) I find it difficult to believe that £1,600 a week is our average now. It sounds good though.

Really? I think you have that wrong. League 1 players were paid "a lot more" in 2005? I doubt that. But in any event, you are also ignoring that £1800 increased by pure inflation is £2500 today.

£1600 today is £1200 in 2005.

Still find it hard to believe?

Edited by kowenicki

When Lee Johnson was here he told me personally at the start of the 2014 season that his playing budget was £25k a week and that had to cover every squad players wage with that which doesn't seem totally unbelievable, he made reference to it being the same amount Leyton Orient were paying just three of their players, if we had a squad of 25 that would equate to around an average of £1k a week which would be about right in my opinion.

Really? I think you have that wrong. League 1 players were paid "a lot more" in 2005? I doubt that. But in any event, you are also ignoring that £1800 increased by pure inflation is £2500 today.

£1600 today is £1200 in 2005.

Still find it hard to believe?

Yes. It's widely acknowledged that clubs aren't paying what they used to in wages. And on top of that, we wait for players to come free and picking up bargains and loanees from clubs at our level and below sometimes. I'd tend to believe Yarddogs calculations (based on LJ's comments) are more accurate. And that average will most likely be inflated with a Peter Clarke, Brian Wilson type higher wage. If you took the few top earners we have out, it would be very interesting to see what the rest averages. Granted, we can only pay what we've got but £1,600 average a week. Nah.

Edited by boundaryblue80

£1600 is most certainly pie in the sky.

These loan players we have Corney reported we were paying their wages in full so that leaves us with 26 first team squad members.

26 x £1600 = £41,600 a week

41,600 x 52 = £2,163,200 yearly wage bill.

Sorry but thats just bollocks.

The figure I was quoted at £25k a week equates to £1.3 million a year which sounds about right to me and is roughly what's been reported in the past.