Most Improved Player

The whole Erwin resurgence has got me wondering which player would be considered to have progressed the most over the course of the season.

You could make a case for Fane, McLaughlin, Wilson as well. Some might say Banks has become integral the team.

Edited by NewBlue

I never bought into the "Wilson is dire" thinking.

He's still doing much the same job that he's always done.  Reliable but unspectacular.

Erwin had an attitude problem in a couple of games early in the Shez era.  That's certainly been turned around.

McLaughlin always had a cross on him and is now a little more inventive in a deeper position.

Fane has a bit more organisation to his game when selected.  Always liked him taking the ball forwards.

Green has become the player a 34 year old who's done it at a higher level should be.

Gerrard is yet to convince me that he's matching last season's performances.  Taylor just isn't the player he used to be and while I'd play him ahead of Reckord I'd be surprised if Shez wants him next season.  Much as I admire Holloway he really does have to get to a point where he can finish a game.

Edited by opinions4u

Banks, for me. He was excellent first half yesterday, Shez has properly got him playing on the ball, and he puts himself about a bit more too. And the juggling in the first half yesterday was sublime, just taking the absolute piss. 

The midfield 3 of Banks Green and Fane compliment each other really well. 

Wilson for me is playing the best football of his Latics career, he really is steady Eddie and is a 7/10 most games for me, he was great again yesterday and is a very important part of our recent revival, he won't get the recognition that a Ripley or Clarke gets but he is just as important in our defensive unit.

based purely on the OWTB forum hot/cold post scale I would say Green.  

Pre Shez 62% of posters wanted him to leave the club ASAP the other 38%  actively were looking on line at 'assassinations are us' websites. Now 50% think he is alright 25% think he is good and 25% want him resigned.

* these statistics are not guaranteed, results may vary, the writer accepts no responsibilities for there accuracy, perceived or otherwise, handle with caution, may contain traces of nuts. 

I wouldn't put Wilson in the most improved brackets I'd say even when we were shit he was still giving us 6 and 7 out of 10s. Considering in his 3 years he has seen 6 changes of manager and has been in and out of the team he's shown great professionism to just go and get on with his job. He's been the most stable thing about the whole club in the last 3 years.

If your looking over the season then I would say Mclaughlin has come on the most he's really starting to show his potential I'd say behind Ripley and Clarke he's the next best player we have. I'd say Fane has shown great improvement technically he takes care of the ball far better now and to add to his obvious physical qualities. 

Green Banks and Erwin have all improved since Shez has come back in. But I'd say over the season McLaughlins improvement has been greater.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Since Shez took over the reins he has instilled a much better work ethos from players who  I have previously criticised including  Erwin Banks and Green.

All have improved vastly and the post Shez results say it all.

Banks was trying to hoodwink everyone into believing he was a footballer early to mid season.

It may have worked on that halfwit Robinson but i was having none of it,There can be no doubt that the improvement in his game has been astounding but he does still have his moments ;-)

3 hours ago, opinions4u said:

I never bought into the "Wilson is dire" thinking.

He's still doing much the same job that he's always done.  Reliable but unspectacular.

Completely agree with that. I couldn't understand why we tried farming him off to, first, Notts County and then Cheltenham in the past couple of seasons. Reliable in a number of positions for us...

Not convinced Green is doing much different now than under Robinson. Just back then he was seen to be the epitome of the whole 'be the best out of possession' thing so got slated for any sideways pass. 

McLaughlin was massively unfit so harsh to judge his first half of the season because of that. 

Banks wins this one hands down for me. 

We have made massive improvements in every department of our game under Shez compared with Robinson.

Especially in terms of getting forward and looking to score goals, which we never looked like doing under Robinson.

A good few players look totally transformed under Shez, including Banks, Mclaughlin, Erwin but for me Green is the player who looks most improved under Shez.

When I watched him early season under Robinson, I couldn't believe he had played at a higher level, I couldn't see anything about his game that suggested he had, i just assumed that at 34 his legs were gone and he was a shadow of the player he must have been before.

Under Shez he has had a good few MoTM performances, is very influential in games.and looks the player I was expecting when we signed him.

21 hours ago, archiecat said:

Banks was trying to hoodwink everyone into believing he was a footballer early to mid season.

It may have worked on that halfwit Robinson but i was having none of it,There can be no doubt that the improvement in his game has been astounding but he does still have his moments ;-)

I am still not a fan of  Banks sure he has improved  (although still prone to a few gaffs)  but his delivery on set pieces carry no threat whatsoever ...either over hits them or floats them in  making it incredibly easy for the keeper to claim.  Ohhh but for an Eyersy type of delivery full of whip,menace and accuracy !

35 minutes ago, Combo said:

I am still not a fan of  Banks sure he has improved  (although still prone to a few gaffs)  but his delivery on set pieces carry no threat whatsoever ...either over hits them or floats them in  making it incredibly easy for the keeper to claim.  Ohhh but for an Eyersy type of delivery full of whip,menace and accuracy !

Was sat in front of his parents at the Sheff United game. It was painful every time - and it felt like there were many - he put in a shite ball.

The problem(?) is that he's a real threat from direct set-pieces so it's hard to take him off duty.

Edited by NewBlue

2 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Was sat in front of his parents at the Sheff United game. It was painful every time - and it felt like there were many - he put in a shite ball.

The problem(?) is that he's a real threat from direct set-pieces so it's hard to take him off duty.

From direct set pieces (as he showed Saturday) I have much more faith in him ...I just find it mind boggling that for corners and indirect free kicks, where there are far more opportunities, his delivery is crap.

Edited by Combo