General Election - 8th June 2017

Matt

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Magister said:

So the private sector is a better fairer employer?

Impossible to say, in my view.

Everyone's perspective, motivation and needs are differ, and at various stages of your working life. they may change.

Decent article on the proposed changes to funding social care costs...

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/theresa-may-tory-manifesto-pensioners-a7747196.html

It's all very confusing but what is clear is that working class Northerner's (like me) can now still inherit their parents sub £100k house (like my Mum's) in the highly unlikely event they're required to pay for residential care or care at home...

Labour aren't happy.

1 hour ago, blueatheart said:

....and yet will quite happily accept the improved performance in the polls.

It's not rocket science. This is simply a matter of repeating the words 'death tax' at 100% rates. Fuck fuck fuck-just seen the U turn.

Strong and stable my arse! This is supposedly the woman who will sort out the EU-she cannot even sort out her own party.

She has panicked over the uproar from right wing Tories as she starts to lose the pensioner vote.

Was it better to panic and illustrate weak leadership or to stick by an unpopular (but needed?) policy. Time will tell.

Edited by ChaddySmoker

2 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

Christ, U-turns already? That isn't a good image. Brings the 'coalition of chaos' into sharper focus, but which side??

They are panicking, they have U-turned on policies while in government already, they have failed at every target they set. They are a weak government losing it's lead and in serious trouble of losing power, people want change and only Labour offer that. 

May hates human and animal rights, her party hates the NHS, Hunt hates nurses and doctors, they are not for the people, they are for themselves.

12 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

They are a weak government losing it's lead and in serious trouble of losing power, people want change and only Labour offer that. 

Really? A ten point lead in the polls even after this policy disagrees with you.

2 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Aaaaand......... Corbyn has just described the IRA as "brave" :lol: 

GAME OVER. Please insert more credit. :lol:

May has hired an ex IRA member, her Dementia Tax is already being attacked by members of her party. There are elderly people will go without care, or worse because of this. How can anyone support a policy that encourages an early death?

Just now, View Of Golden Gate said:

May has hired an ex IRA member, her Dementia Tax is already being attacked by members of her party. There are elderly people will go without care, or worse because of this. How can anyone support a policy that encourages an early death?

Let's say you're right - which you're not - this new policy encourages an early death less so than the current policy does it not? 

Just now, HarryBosch said:

Let's say you're right - which you're not - this new policy encourages an early death less so than the current policy does it not? 

Person A owns a £200,000 home and that is their single asset, they require care in their home but not residential. Their need of care increases, they want to leave their children and family the home, but know that years of care will see their home worth less and less to their family. 

They realise that an early death would mean more will left to their family than going on for years needing care, it will be cheaper for 65 year old to drop dead instantly then to die years later. Not out of the realms of possibility, and even it if it is only 5% that have this train of thought, surely that is too many?

1 minute ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Person A owns a £200,000 home and that is their single asset, they require care in their home but not residential. Their need of care increases, they want to leave their children and family the home, but know that years of care will see their home worth less and less to their family. 

They realise that an early death would mean more will left to their family than going on for years needing care, it will be cheaper for 65 year old to drop dead instantly then to die years later. Not out of the realms of possibility, and even it if it is only 5% that have this train of thought, surely that is too many?

And it is capped at £100k?

Much better than the current policies, believe me.

9 minutes ago, View Of Golden Gate said:

Just for clarity - are you asking me if 5% of people owning £200,000 houses topping themselves, as dreamt up in your head, is "too many"? 

You also seem to be working on the basis  that life, work & asset/home ownership is all done solely for the purpose of children inheriting...

Edited by HarryBosch

Just now, blueatheart said:

The £100k is a floor.

£72k was/is the cap (but only for certain parts of the care) which, I think, no reference to keeping or removing was made in the manifesto..

May is now saying there will be a cap, and that there was always going to be ("nothing has changed") but not what it will be and not whether the £72k was going to go or not go....

Either way, this still looks advantageous for the families of working class pensioners but - provided you believe this was a "U-turn" - maybe not so advantageous for people actually needing social care as far less money will be raised. 

If you do believe there wasn't going to be a cap Labour and the media have given the familes of wealthy/wealthier pensioners a bonus and reduced the amount that will be raised (via this method) to actually be spent on social care....

3 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

I know that you are quoting figures from an example but at what figure will the actual cap be?

We dont know because as with every figure with Mrs May it is not yet set. She is weak and indecisive

I didnt think that the Tories could cock it up anymore but thats now 2 own goals in 4 days. 

8 minutes ago, blueatheart said:

No doubt that those in need residential care could be better off, but those who need care at home? Those who have family live there and help to look after them but require extra support, could be told they have to sell the home after their parent dies. 

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Just for clarity - are you asking me if 5% of people owning £200,000 houses topping themselves, as dreamt up in your head, is "too many"? 

The question is if only 5% of those who own a house more than £100,000 (average UK home is worth £165,000) contemplate an early death as to avoid extra costs to their family is too many, yes. The point is whether a house is worth £100,001 or £500,000 the point is to punish those who need support is wrong. While I disagree with the current system this hurts more people, this is not the answer. We should be making social care as free as possible not taxing the dead, and the U Turn only proves she has no opinion or clue she does with the tide.

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

The £100k is a floor.

£72k was/is the cap (but only for certain parts of the care) which, I think, no reference to keeping or removing was made in the manifesto..

May is now saying there will be a cap, and that there was always going to be ("nothing has changed") but not what it will be and not whether the £72k was going to go or not go....

Either way, this still looks advantageous for the families of working class pensioners but - provided you believe this was a "U-turn" - maybe not so advantageous for people actually needing social care as far less money will be raised. 

If you do believe there wasn't going to be a cap Labour and the media have given the familes of wealthy/wealthier pensioners a bonus and reduced the amount that will be raised (via this method) to actually be spent on social care....

£72k cap was proposed as part of the Social Care act and was due to be enacted in 2016, delayed until 2020. It was also part of their 2015 manifesto.

No mention of this or any cap within current manifesto, though the £100k floor was.

They are now saying that there was going to be a cap, not sure what it is.

George Osborne has called it a U-Turn.

I'm not trawling back through all 15 pages of this but has anyone mentioned the Tory pledge to relocate a lot of government jobs outside of London..? 

That'd be alright eh?

"Take a seat Mr Tulsehill, take a seat - due to the outstanding work you've done of late we're transferring you to our new state of the art centre in Bradford"