Gerrard & Clarke.

51 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

He and Clarke are not the quickest and may not have started the season in the best form but the main issue is that they are being exposed time and time again by midfield that is not doing it's job. You will not and have not heard Shez criticise the centre of our defence because they are not the problem.

i think we have actually in his diatribe about Oxfords first goal and being 4 on 1 and how the 4 got the decision making wrong......

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Whittaker v Wellens

Mvoto v Tarkowski

Lomax v Eardley

Now Edmondson/Stott v Gerrard...

Some of you obviously don't like football and don't deserve success...fkn heathens!

My Clarke v Gregan thread needs dusting off again later this season :grin:

Gerrard was fine yesterday. I personally think he's carrying too much timber, but he won almost everything in the air yesterday and made a goal-saving tackle midway through the 2nd half. 

I'm pretty convinced it's a myth that Gerrard and Clarke don't get on - I've seen them both in the gym together over the past couple of weeks and they seem like they get on very well.

That said, we defended painfully deep yesterday. Probably to compensate for the lack of pace at the back, but it invites unnecessary pressure on us when we're so deep...

7 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Any idea what he weighs? You'd need to if you suggest he's able to lose two stone. 28lbs is quite a lot. I'm 14 and a half stone and, if I was only 12 and a half, I think I'd feel quite ill. And, no, I'm not 6'6" and built like a brick shithouse.

A shave would take 6 pounds off you.

3 hours ago, palmer1 said:

Whittaker v Wellens

Mvoto v Tarkowski

Lomax v Eardley

Now Edmondson/Stott v Gerrard...

Some of you obviously don't like football and don't deserve success...fkn heathens!

In fariness, if Stott ends up in the Premier League people might bring up this and take it the complete other way. We simply don't know enough to say how good Stott is. M'voto, however...

58 minutes ago, OldHallam said:

Another barmy thread. Teams that don't score enough struggle at the back, teams with a weak midfield get over run and more pressure on defence. Ball keeps coming back at you. Defending starts by people doing jobs well all over pitch the Otzumer goal was comedy gold how he got a tap in having started on the touchline. 

Clarke cant be star man every week, Gerrard is fitter than most who post on here or shout abuse. I am more concerned with keeper situation as in not got two and players dont look as fit as they should or making bad decisions on and off the ball which makes them look bad. 

Sort midfield out and things will improve dramatically. Blaming Clarke and Gerrard is just typical latics tripe. 

The fitness of Gerrard in comparison to posters is totally irrelevant. He's not fit compared to the opposition, as the football has proven.

Of course a better midfield would be helpful but a few of the goals have been uncharachteristically poor from the centre backs

18 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

The fitness of Gerrard in comparison to posters is totally irrelevant. He's not fit compared to the opposition, as the football has proven.

Of course a better midfield would be helpful but a few of the goals have been uncharachteristically poor from the centre backs

How has it been proven? I've watched 2 games and although slower than some forwards his fitness hasn't been an issue. He's completed 90 minutes easily like the rest of his team mates who haven't been called out for fitness. So what has he done or not done to show that John Sheridan John Harbin have made him play 3 games of football, while not fit? 

26 minutes ago, NewBlue said:

In fariness, if Stott ends up in the Premier League people might bring up this and take it the complete other way. We simply don't know enough to say how good Stott is. M'voto, however...

I'd like to see Stott in for a few reasons.

Wilson, Gerrard & Clarke aren't pulling up trees as an experienced unit so you might aswell put Stott in over Wilson either as part of a 3 or at left back with Hunt moved over to RB.

His defending is fine but he can also deliver a great ball, especially from set pieces. And, has as been said by a few people his being left footed would make us more balanced. 

Mostly though I think it's always good to have a kid or two in who the older stagers will need to talk through games as doing so tends to make you focus a bit more, or focus differently, on what you're doing yourself and lead by example. It could push Gerrard's and Clarke's performances up a notch or two.

The same could be said for Fawns and I'd have him in too for Davies, Green, Tope, Banks to talk through. 

Edited by HarryBosch

7 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

How has it been proven? I've watched 2 games and although slower than some forwards his fitness hasn't been an issue. He's completed 90 minutes easily like the rest of his team mates who haven't been called out for fitness. So what has he done or not done to show that John Sheridan John Harbin have made him play 3 games of football, while not fit? 

Look how slow he is. I'm not saying he's ever been quick but fucking hell.