Gerrard & Clarke.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Top marks to Gerrard. He's come back into the side and we've stopped leaking silly goals...

Fair comment.....but to accommodate his strengths and weaknesses have we also gone a bit deeper and also play the ball forward a bit earlier and longer than we were doing and are therefore less potent going forward

7 minutes ago, Magister said:

Fair comment.....but to accommodate his strengths and weaknesses have we also gone a bit deeper and also play the ball forward a bit earlier and longer than we were doing and are therefore less potent going forward

I don't think there's much truth to that at all. We probably created the most clear cut chances I've seen us create for years in the previous home game.

Why would Gerrard need to drop deeper than Clarke, I reckon he's actually faster.

12 minutes ago, Magister said:

That comment smacks of someone looking to blame him no matter what he does. We've missed chance after chance in the last 2 games while looking solid at the back. Gardner was missing from midfield in one of those games but we still attempted to play football. If we had beaten Wimbeldon 4-0 nobody could have complained and we were a goal line clearance away from 3 points today.

To blame one central defender for lack of potency is ridiculous.

Edited by palmer1

3 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

That comment smacks of someone looking to blame him no matter what he does. We've missed chance after chance in the last 2 games while looking solid at the back. Gardner was missing from midfield in one of those games but we still attempted to play football. If we had beaten Wimbeldon 4-0 nobody could have complained and we were a goal line clearance away from 3 points today.

To blame one central defender for lack of potency is ridiculous.

.....but to credit one goalkeeper with increasing our potency isn't equally ridiculous ? ......of course it isn't .

We are missing Clarkes goals and he's scored some important ones, defensively Gerrard has been sound and doesn't give the ball away needlessy but for me Clarke is better in both boxes, can't argue that we've tightened up with him in there but Wimbledon offered zero going forward and along with Rochdale and Gillingham are propping up the wrong end of the table so I will reserve judgment until he's been suitably tested.

Edited by yarddog73

21 minutes ago, Magister said:

.....but to credit one goalkeeper with increasing our potency isn't equally ridiculous ? ......of course it isn't .

I'm not sure of the point you are making to the one person who said it was ridiculous to make such claims about Placide?

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

I'm not sure of the point you are making to the one person who said it was ridiculous to make such claims about Placide?

The point I am making is that a goalkeeper , like a wicketkeeper, can absolutely influence a teams approach , pace of attacking and yes potency ......and so too can a centre half captain...........and in both cases the influence can be to increase or diminish certain aspects including attacking potency 

1 minute ago, Magister said:

The point I am making is that a goalkeeper , like a wicketkeeper, can absolutely influence a teams approach , pace of attacking and yes potency ......and so too can a centre half captain...........and in both cases the influence can be to increase or diminish certain aspects including attacking potency 

You must work for the civil service, thats just riddles.

6 minutes ago, Magister said:

I'll go back to my original point then. The point you are trying to make is a poor one.

We created chance after chance, Davies and Doyle were culprits for missing them midweek. Today Doyle again and Menig should have done better. We should have won both games comfortably.

So how is that Gerrards fault? And just for the crack how did Placide not influence it in a better way? ?

On 8/12/2017 at 6:52 PM, Laticfanatic1 said:

Gerrard needs dropping until he's lost atleast 2 stone. Get young Stott in with Clarke

yeah that would be a great idea putting a youngster with an attitude and work rate problem in the team that has great cohesion at the moment why do you think hes still out on loan at a non league club having left the previous one under a cloud 

15 minutes ago, peanuts said:

yeah that would be a great idea putting a youngster with an attitude and work rate problem in the team that has great cohesion at the moment why do you think hes still out on loan at a non league club having left the previous one under a cloud 

Doing ok though ( assuming he played) .....They won1-0 away at league leaders today......we lost to the leaders of that league about this time last year

It's simple enough, we know Gerrard can do a good job as a stopper in a deep lying back 4. Decent option to have and I think that was tactical against Wimbledon given the conditions (Green and Fane both sat deep most of the game as well). Clarke has made unusual mistakes this season and shouldn't be undroppable but he is still better than Gerrard at absolutely every aspect of playing football.

On 25/11/2017 at 11:39 PM, leeslover said:

It's simple enough, we know Gerrard can do a good job as a stopper in a deep lying back 4. Decent option to have and I think that was tactical against Wimbledon given the conditions (Green and Fane both sat deep most of the game as well). Clarke has made unusual mistakes this season and shouldn't be undroppable but he is still better than Gerrard at absolutely every aspect of playing football.

On 26/11/2017 at 3:23 AM, Lee Sinnott said:

Apart from actually playing football. Gerrard can pass a ball. Clarke can't...

Interesting how with Gerrard back in we're keeping clean sheets but the goals have dried up. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not...

Are we a bit "looser" at the back with Clarke there meaning teams come at us more leaving themselves more open? 

And Clarke has a goal in him whereas Gerrard doesn't (not for us so far anyway). 

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Interesting how with Gerrard back in we're keeping clean sheets but the goals have dried up. Maybe just a coincidence, maybe not...

Are we a bit "looser" at the back with Clarke there meaning teams come at us more leaving themselves more open? 

And Clarke has a goal in him whereas Gerrard doesn't (not for us so far anyway). 

Gerrards gone 104 games without a goal which is remarkable for a big old lump who puts himself about, he last scored in November 2013 and went 60 odd games without before that one.

11 hours ago, singe said:

Well Gerrard is suspended on sat, so we might quickly see.

It may be that Clarke takes advantage of the opportunity like Gerrard has.

For me, they are a pair now, and we interchange to get an extra season or two, if needed, out of them.

Apparently he is not suspended as one of his bookings was in the Checkatrade.

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Magister said:

Is there not a Cricket forum you can go on anywhere Magister?