Oldham v Wigan

7 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Yes and playing hunt in midfield changed all the dynamics in midfield,we cut Wigan apart and had so many chances doing this switch, shez is a fecking genius making this switch!! 

I didn't say it was the right thing to do, although I've made my opinion about the ability of Fane elsewhere, I gave a theory as to why Shez did it.

Losing a game most were predicting us to lose (not me) but sending a message to his players that bad performances won't be tolerated even if you are the seemingly the only player available for that role may gain us more points in other games.

Some players always seem to do better on their return after being dropped, we won't be playing sides with Wigan's apparent quality every week.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Buckshawlatic said:

Robinson, Kelly, Dunn, Penney didn't finish the season - fairly certain all would have taken us down but yes let's forget what Shez did after the disasters of Dunn and Robinson and sack him 

Far be it from me to defend him, but probably the only thing Penney did achieve was keeping us up.  He was sacked after Yeovil but we were already safe.

35 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I didn't say it was the right thing to do, although I've made my opinion about the ability of Fane elsewhere, I gave a theory as to why Shez did it.

Losing a game most were predicting us to lose (not me) but sending a message to his players that bad performances won't be tolerated even if you are the seemingly the only player available for that role may gain us more points in other games.

Some players always seem to do better on their return after being dropped, we won't be playing sides with Wigan's apparent quality every week.

Fane is an easy target, if Shez wanted to send a message out he should start by dropping Peter Clarke whose been fucking dreadful every game this season (might upset the fan club but needs saying). Fane was playing non league not long ago but gets singled out because its easy picking, seasoned pro's like Clarke, Gerrard, Wilson, Davies, Holloway, Banks, Green and even Dummigan whose had a couple of seasons with us are the ones who need digging out because they have all been shite, Fane needs an older head around him a Douglas type to bring him on but instead he's been paired with the weakest footballer I've ever seen in Banks.

The other main issue I have is this new management team of Shez/Wright/Wellens what the fuck are they doing because this groups going backwards since a couple of new faces have come in, somethings not right on the coaching front and it shows when they walk on the pitch at the weekends also do we really want a manager who puts a team out to get beat every week to prove a point,  he needs to get the best out of what he's got and not destroy players to suit his own agenda or his silly little fight with the chairman he seems to be having at our expense, as a pay on the dayer why the fuck should I part with twenty notes to sit through that shit were players and management team alike seem to be treating it like an extended pre season.

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Far be it from me to defend him, but probably the only thing Penney did achieve was keeping us up.  He was sacked after Yeovil but we were already safe.

True - I forgot he went when we only had one game left - Charlton iirc and Gray took that game 

10 hours ago, Magister said:

just  questioning the infallibility mantra of the cult of Sheridan.....the pre-season preparation was poor, recruitment obviously hit a problem, we don't appear to have a preferred system, the players look flat, there have been some iill advised press briefings, we have lost 6 on the trot......I think the question is definitely on the table

Shez was my hero growing up so I'll always be a bit biased towards him.  Even I'll say that he has been as poor as the majority of the club so far this season (a few have been worse).

But you're going way over the top about other people's views on Shez.  No one thinks he's perfect but in our current position I doubt you can name one person currently at the club who we can rely on more than him.  That may be a "tallest mountain in Holland" scenario, but it still applies.

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

The other main issue I have is this new management team of Shez/Wright/Wellens what the fuck are they doing because this groups going backwards since a couple of new faces have come in, somethings not right on the coaching front and it shows when they walk on the pitch at the weekends also do we really want a manager who puts a team out to get beat every week to prove a point,  he needs to get the best out of what he's got and not destroy players to suit his own agenda or his silly little fight with the chairman he seems to be having at our expense, as a pay on the dayer why the fuck should I part with twenty notes to sit through that shit were players and management team alike seem to be treating it like an extended pre season.

I posted after the Oxford game that I detected unrest/antagonism between bench and players.  I thought then, and still do, that all is not well behind the scenes.  

20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Shez was my hero growing up so I'll always be a bit biased towards him.  Even I'll say that he has been as poor as the majority of the club so far this season (a few have been worse).

But you're going way over the top about other people's views on Shez.  No one thinks he's perfect but in our current position I doubt you can name one person currently at the club who we can rely on more than him.  That may be a "tallest mountain in Holland" scenario, but it still applies.

I think that is fair comment...I am just challenging a mindset that because Shez played brilliantly on one leg for us there cannot be immunity from questions about the right mess we are in and his contribution to that

I watched Banks closely today and it was a disgraceful performance, absolutely shite, he brought absolutely nothing to the team... He wasn't especially great on the ball, but his attitude and lack of effort off the ball and his laziness, is actually ridiculous, half-hearted. I'd honestly say we would have been better playing with 10 men. 

40 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Fane is an easy target, if Shez wanted to send a message out he should start by dropping Peter Clarke whose been fucking dreadful every game this season (might upset the fan club but needs saying). Fane was playing non league not long ago but gets singled out because its easy picking, seasoned pro's like Clarke, Gerrard, Wilson, Davies, Holloway, Banks, Green and even Dummigan whose had a couple of seasons with us are the ones who need digging out because they have all been shite, Fane needs an older head around him a Douglas type to bring him on but instead he's been paired with the weakest footballer I've ever seen in Banks.

We paid £50k for Fane, he is an easy target because he isn't up to it at this level, yet. He shouldn't need an(other) experienced head to show him how to be a footballer, especially when Green has 20+ international caps, 200+ games in the Championship and 500 games in his career.

I can understand cutting Fane some slack if he was a 18/19 year old from our youth team, but he's 24 and someone we have paid money for. He needs to be better.

I'm not saying that others shouldn't be immune from criticism, after all, aside from McLaughlin, most have been under par. However, I'm getting rather tired of Fane being immune from criticism from certain members of our fan base because he runs about a lot, so isn't lazy, despite the fact that he isn't paid to run about a lot, he's paid to be a footballer, that means actually knowing when and where to run, controlling and passing a football, and marking his man at crucial moments.

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

We paid £50k for Fane, he is an easy target because he isn't up to it at this level, yet. He shouldn't need an(other) experienced head to show him how to be a footballer, especially when Green has 20+ international caps, 200+ games in the Championship and 500 games in his career.

I can understand cutting Fane some slack if he was a 18/19 year old from our youth team, but he's 24 and someone we have paid money for. He needs to be better.

I'm not saying that others shouldn't be immune from criticism, after all, aside from McLaughlin, most have been under par. However, I'm getting rather tired of Fane being immune from criticism from certain members of our fan base because he runs about a lot, so isn't lazy, despite the fact that he isn't paid to run about a lot, he's paid to be a footballer, that means actually knowing when and where to run, controlling and passing a football, and marking his man at crucial moments.

And Banks excuse for being able to do none of the above is?

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

And Banks excuse for being able to do none of the above is?

I'm sorry who was it that passed 40 yards to McLaughlin to set up our goal last week.

One thing that isn't questionable about Banks is his ability to occasionally pass a football more than 5 yards. 

That doesn't mean he can't improve, but just because he is lazy, and he is, doesn't mean he isn't a footballer.

I'd think Fane has probably cost us more than Banks so far BTW.

17 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

It's £20. If anyone knows that they are going the day before and pays £24 then they are daft. 

The ones who the club want to be targetting are the ones who aren't sure if they want to go or not at the ones you should be targetting with lower ticket prices.  Chances are they won't want to commit and will leave it until on the day.  They will be paying £24 if they decide to go.

The concept of cheaper tickeis advanced day at this level when crowds are struggling, is utter bollocks for this reason.  It just deters people from going.  I noted a similar issue with Lancs this week jumping up a stupid amount.  I wasn't sure if I could get there on Friday so would have never bought an advanced ticket, then saw the jump in price and flat out decided not to bother.

My whipping boy so far this season as got to be Gerrard, his clearance for the first goal, when he had all the time in the world to put it out for a throw in but sliced it out for corner. We have two decent young centre half's in Stott and Edmunson who have better pace then Anthony, Even Clarky not been on top form so far this season. Shez seems to be panicking under pressure in his playing players out of position their natural positions, it's not the time to experiment!

I was impressed with Gyamfi and Garner on their first showing, Ryan McLaughlin as been the stand out performer so far this season, Fawns looks promising, Holloway as a least put the effort in and generally put a shift in al be it a bit aimless.

Now, when it comes to Banks, words fail me, a complete waste of a shirt, no balls, no bite, no passion and no idea ( o.k. I did have some words ). Flynn not much better. At least with Fane in mid field we have a bit of bite and passion though he is a little raw but I think he will develop with time.

I've been following Latics for 46 years and I've seen both great teams and some shit teams and this team and it's make up is bordering on the shit team ( or is that to kind )!

Thankfully there is a long way to go this season, but if it doesn't change this might be my last, I can think of better things to do with time and money,  I put more effort in walking to the ground then some players do on the pitch.

It's not just yesterday's one sided embarrassment that pisses me off, it's the start to the season as a whole. Last week Shez says we are 5/6 players short now we are supposed accept watching a half decent league one team take the piss.

The amount of time and space their midfield had in that first half yesterday and it was the same in the 2nd half at Walsall is unbelievable...meanwhile our midfielders couldn't find space if they were launched from Cape Canaveral in a fucking rocket!!

3 league games in, 3 defeats and 1 goal scored which was a fucking cross!! 

We need 2 or 3 players in as soon as possible, a settled team and a formation that works. Surely that's what pre season was for??

16 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

I'm sorry who was it that passed 40 yards to McLaughlin to set up our goal last week.

One thing that isn't questionable about Banks is his ability to occasionally pass a football more than 5 yards. 

That doesn't mean he can't improve, but just because he is lazy, and he is, doesn't mean he isn't a footballer.

I'd think Fane has probably cost us more than Banks so far BTW.

I'm actually a bit disappointed in Shez and the coaching staff regarding Fane and Banks.  Their strengths and flaws were blindingly obvious last season and while an argument can be made for both being good enough for this level, they both needed a lot of work over the summer and, honestly, I expected Shez and co. to add what was needed to both players.

Ultimately it's both players responsibility to put the work in to improve, but it also worries me that we are relying on the same Fane and Banks as last season (and Green who I like but is only going to decline from now on) to prop up our midfield.  

We have a lot of issues: an inbalance in the defence, uncertainty over which striker will get our goals*, 1 keeper in the squad FFS!  Yet centre midfield is still our biggest issue of the lot.

*I'm a fan of Holloway and I think he's shown, with the skills he has, he can do well alongside the right player.  But the fact that he's currently our most reliable forward with his goal record is farcical.

I have to admit, I hadn't been for 9 years or so (due to various health issues) before the Oxford game - filled with optimism - know how that turned out.

And then we had yesterday - I've seen 10 year old players do much better. Don't mind losing if there's effort - from the majority anyway, there wasn't - save McLaughlin, Gardener and maybe the Belgian lad. And then we come to value for money.

Between 3 of us (2 adults and a 12 year old - who incidentally, appraised us succinctly - you can guess) we spent nearly £80 on the day.

Most entertaining thing? The corner where nobody realised Banks had been subbed - says it all for me!

Oh how I've missed 'real football' and these fancy formations ?

I've not trawled the entire length and breadth of this thread, but it appears the general consensus of opinion is that our midfield is the major weakness. 

With Obadeyi, Green and Flynn injured, plus Davies injured in the warm up and 75% not wanting Fane anywhere near a blue shirt, who would you have had in midfield yesterday?

Was Fawns regarded as not ready for a match against probably the best team in the League? Yes, Hunt was out of position, no doubt through necessity instead of Fawns, which meant that Wilson was possibly the only one to fill in at LB. He's done it before.

Personally, if Kyeremeh is showing sufficient promise to stake a regular place, I'd sacrifice McLaughlin, take the dosh (if it's a big enough offer) and bring in a Matty Palmer type midfielder and a keeper. Then, I think we could be ok.

Edited by Bristolatic
Bloody predictive text