Oldham v Wigan

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

You'd have thought Shez hadn't got a clue about the game with that midfield. As soon as I saw Banks and Gardner's names together I knew it was gonna be a shitshow. Baffling decision to play with two midfielders who can't tackle.

But that was the least over run we've been against what should be the best side (& midfield) in the league....? 

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When Gardner put a foot on it and we kept the ball on a couple of ocassions (literally two I think :lol:) we looked alright I thought and carved out, or nealry carved out. a chance.

When we hit it (or hurriedly got rid of it) long we were shite. Shite balls with players shite at getting on the end of such shite balls. 

Edited by HarryBosch

22 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

But that was the least over run we've been against what should be the best side (& midfield) in the league....? 

Least overrun? They tore us apart like we weren't there for the first half an hour until they relented

7 hours ago, welshgaz said:

Shez has to shoulder a large chunk of the blame with some baffling tactical decisions so far this season.

How you can line up in any game of football without a ball winner is crazy but to do against a very good side like Wigan even more so. His failure to sign a left back is a big problem too.

Fane and Gardner would of given us a glimmer of hope and prevented their midfield runners coasting in without being tracked in the first half.

Agree with all of this apart from signing a left back. We've got someone who can do that job more than adequately when he's not being played out of position in centre mid and, given the need to strengthen elsewhere there's enough cover through Stott and Wilson.

Midfield is the huge problem; sort that out to get control of the ball and some decent service forward and we (hopefully) can get some goals from McLaughlan, Tope, Davies and Duffus (I'm resigned to Holloway never reaching double figures).

12 minutes ago, rteoafc said:

Midfield is the huge problem; sort that out to get control of the ball and some decent service forward and we (hopefully) can get some goals from McLaughlan, Tope, Davies and Duffus (I'm resigned to Holloway never reaching double figures).

Lack of chances created is the problem. Midfield is part of that problem but so are the wingers - McLaughlin has been our least worst player but is still creating very little - and so is the lack of movement & intent from the strikers, not to mention Clarke aimlessly hoofing it forward all the time......

36 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

When Gardner put a foot on it and we kept the ball on a couple of ocassions (literally two I think :lol:) we looked alright I thought and carved out, or nealry carved out. a chance.

When we hit it (or hurriedly got rid of it) long we were shite. Shite balls with players shite at getting on the end of such shite balls. 

And therein lies the problem and the solution!!!

Gardner did what we all expected him to on hid debut (and in my opinion, better than I expected).......he passed long, he passed short, he tackled, he headed, he carried the ball, he defended and he made mistakes...............half of which we have expected from Banks but for over a season has failed dismally (as did Winchester before him).

We need to settle on a system and get people into fit that system:

Big Joe decided on two grafters who could play in the middle.......two out of Milligan, Henry, Bernard and Redfearn with two wingers in Adams and Holden.

Graeme Sharp tried to emulate the Everton midfield at it's prime and, again in my opinion, worked  because the players knew what was expected.........Halle (Stephens), Brennan (Sheedy), Henry and Snodin (Reid and Bracewell}.

For too many seasons now, we've put up with players who can do a job in various positions.......which is why I find some of Sheridan signings baffling. I don't, for one minute, think the problem is purely down to money but more to trust......otherwise why bring back Davies.......a player with no form of scoring over the last two seasons.

There was a moment in yesterday's game that summed up not just Ollie Banks but the whole team for me this season...

Banks was challenging the last man for Wigan who had fallen. If Banks had taken the ball from the grounded defender he would have had opportunity to run through on on goal. Instead he was outmuscled from the ground with the defender coming away with the ball leaving Banks on his knees then chasing slowly ten yards in his wake...

If this had occurred at the other end it would undoubtedly have ended with a shot at goal.

We are not aggressive enough...

Edited by palmer1

2 minutes ago, palmer1 said:

There was a moment in yesterday's game that summed up not just Ollie Banks but the whole team for me this season...

Banks was challenging the last man for Wigan who had fallen. If Banks had taken the ball from the grounded defender he would have had opportunity to run through on on goal. Instead he was outmuscled from the ground with the defender coming away with the ball leaving Banks on his knees then chasing slowly ten yards in his wake...

If this had occurred at the other end it would undoubtedly have ended with a shot at goal.

We are not aggressive enough...

Forget "aggressive enough" .....try good enough instead

1 minute ago, Magister said:

Forget "aggressive enough" .....try good enough instead

These players have proved in the 2nd half if last season that are good enough as a group to compete and be comfortable in this league. 

This season we no longer press, we don't seem to tackle and we aren't getting in our opponents faces enough. We let teams dictate and play, we stand off. Yesterday at times they bullied us. We are a soft touch!  Very worryingly Clarke & Gerrard have to be included in that description also.

11 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

Most importantly though he knows what to do and will turn it round once his brinkmanship with Corney comes to an end. 

A manager playing brinkmanship with his chairman usually only has one outcome in the long run ........... taxi for Shez!!!

8 hours ago, palmer1 said:

These players have proved in the 2nd half if last season that are good enough as a group to compete and be comfortable in this league. 

This season we no longer press, we don't seem to tackle and we aren't getting in our opponents faces enough. We let teams dictate and play, we stand off. Yesterday at times they bullied us. We are a soft touch!  Very worryingly Clarke & Gerrard have to be included in that description also.

These players scored 11 goals in the last 15  games of last season, the last 6 away games yielded 2 points and one goal....and now from that team we have lost our 3 most effective plays, the keeper, the top scorer and the one which saved us and  masked our inadequacy..the pitch

Was signing Clarke & Gerrard on long-term a gamble too far and they're both unable to play together this season being a few months older and both slow anyway?

Experience is crucial so perhaps bring in a more mobile defender in a back three or alternate the two of them in a back four?!

Lets see what this week brings in respect of recruitment....

14 minutes ago, Magister said:

These players scored 11 goals in the last 15  games of last season, the last 6 away games yielded 2 points and one goal....and now from that team we have lost our 3 most effective plays, the keeper, the top scorer and the one which saved us and  masked our inadequacy..the pitch

Interesting selective stats. In the last 15 games of the season we got 22 points. Mid table form over a season. 6 of those came away from home. Lower table (but not relegation) form over a season. 

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Corney wouldn't dare because the pace for him to go would really pick up if Shez walked or was pushed. 

I'm not necessarily saying that Corney would sack him but if Shez is 'banging heads' with him, wanting more funds when there aren't any, then he'll probably walk.

42 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Corney wouldn't dare because the pace for him to go would really pick up if Shez walked or was pushed. 

Not sure anyone has the enthusiasm anymore to pick up the pace for him to go, to be honest.

Shez is on a two year deal, isn't he?  Can't see Shez resigning yet as he'd miss out on a pay-off and Corney wouldn't sack him, because he'd have to pay him off...

...so we might as well stop all this talk of Shez leaving.

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Not sure anyone has the enthusiasm anymore to pick up the pace for him to go, to be honest.

Shez is on a two year deal, isn't he?  Can't see Shez resigning yet as he'd miss out on a pay-off and Corney wouldn't sack him, because he'd have to pay him off...

...so we might as well stop all this talk of Shez leaving.

I agree apathy has well and truly set in at every level.

12 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

And therein lies the problem and the solution!!!

Gardner did what we all expected him to on hid debut (and in my opinion, better than I expected).......he passed long, he passed short, he tackled, he headed, he carried the ball, he defended and he made mistakes...............half of which we have expected from Banks but for over a season has failed dismally (as did Winchester before him).

We need to settle on a system and get people into fit that system:

Big Joe decided on two grafters who could play in the middle.......two out of Milligan, Henry, Bernard and Redfearn with two wingers in Adams and Holden.

Graeme Sharp tried to emulate the Everton midfield at it's prime and, again in my opinion, worked  because the players knew what was expected.........Halle (Stephens), Brennan (Sheedy), Henry and Snodin (Reid and Bracewell}.

For too many seasons now, we've put up with players who can do a job in various positions.......which is why I find some of Sheridan signings baffling. I don't, for one minute, think the problem is purely down to money but more to trust......otherwise why bring back Davies.......a player with no form of scoring over the last two seasons.

Agree with mikejh45

We need a system (the Oldham Way) which should start as a minimum of being hard to beat at Boundary Park

You don't have to be a 'Football Genius' to work out that Home form is the only way to keep our current fan base and hopefully attract back some of our drifting supporters

The Club should then find it easier to find players who simply are the natural type of player who will fit into 'the Oldham Way' and hate losing

Teams should dread playing against us at Boundary Park because we refuse to be beaten

Long journey this but we have to start somewhere because we are going nowhere currently