It was 25 years ago today that the Premier League began, where we drew 1-1 at Stamford Bridge.

http://www.skysports.com/football/chelsea-vs-oldham/275205

To mark the occasion, there will be two special Rewinds on the BBC website and the Red Button (UK only).

At 14:55 BST watch the full match between Sheffield United and Manchester United - plus there will be a live text commentary with clips of numerous goals from the opening afternoon.

And at 22:00 BST on the Red Button and website you can relive the first Match of the Day of the Premier League era, with presenter Des Lynam joined by guests Alan Hansen and Gary Lineker.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've never liked or understood this referring to the Premier League as if it's something different to what the top flight was previously.

Especially when they talk about records as if people like Dixie Dean never existed.

It was just given a different name. 

Agreed. I humour it only because we were in it.... and it allows me a moment to daydream and reminisce.... before I'm jolted back to the restricted and impotent reality of today.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

I've never liked or understood this referring to the Premier League as if it's something different to what the top flight was previously.

Especially when they talk about records as if people like Dixie Dean never existed.

Probably be just me that could'nee give a fuck about this "memorable" date then?

Can we make some new happy memories please??? :pray:

12 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

Me too. Although IIRC it was a w@nkfest about Dalglish, Shearer and B@stard Rovers....

Remember the Rovers fans  flashing the tenners at us on the way down on the old Barlows if my memory serves me correct, red hot day and we took about 1000 of a crowd of around 20,000.

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

Dixie who?  Don't you mean Dion Dublin?

29 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Remember the Rovers fans  flashing the tenners at us on the way down on the old Barlows if my memory serves me correct, red hot day and we took about 1000 of a crowd of around 20,000.

Yeah, about that. I went on the train with a mate. Glorious day, not an ounce of trouble as Stamford Bridge and it's "Old Shed" end was pretty notorious. I think Chelsea had paid pretty decent bucks on a couple of players; Beasant and Stein maybe?

Chelsea were our bitches back in the old top flight days. Think we only lost once against them in six meetings.

29 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Yeah, about that. I went on the train with a mate. Glorious day, not an ounce of trouble as Stamford Bridge and it's "Old Shed" end was pretty notorious. I think Chelsea had paid pretty decent bucks on a couple of players; Beasant and Stein maybe?

Chelsea were our bitches back in the old top flight days. Think we only lost once against them in six meetings.

And beat them home and away in the season we would have played them in the FA Cup final, if it hadn't been for...

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

I've studied footage of games from the 80's and earlier and the standard of football was dross. The likes of Bobby Charlton would be no better in his prime than Marcus Tudgay if he played in the modern era...

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I've studied footage of games from the 80's and earlier and the standard of football was dross. The likes of Bobby Charlton would be no better in his prime than Marcus Tudgay if he played in the modern era...

Not taking the piss but when you say studied do you just mean watched ? 

I think what you got to take into consideration in them days is the mud baths of pitches and mainly for me the fact you could actually be tackled ! And from some of the footage I've seen I mean tackled knee high ( not a Chinese footballer )

25 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Not taking the piss but when you say studied do you just mean watched ? 

I think what you got to take into consideration in them days is the mud baths of pitches and mainly for me the fact you could actually be tackled ! And from some of the footage I've seen I mean tackled knee high ( not a Chinese footballer )