40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I've studied footage of games from the 80's and earlier and the standard of football was dross. The likes of Bobby Charlton would be no better in his prime than Marcus Tudgay if he played in the modern era...

Remaining unemotional about it..... on the odd occasion I've watched extended highlights of our heyday games back.... I have to agree that the general standard of the top 2 divisions is of significantly better quality today.

Being emotional about it however,.... it's only achieved by sucking in the vast majority of obscene amounts of income and keeping it amongst that privileged few, from which to grow their supporter base from those less fortunate whom surround them until the stranglehold is such that only they remain.

In the year 4036, there'll only be Man Yoo left in England and you'll be travelling to Buenos Aires to watch them play in a World Premier League game against River Plate... I hope they enjoy it, the f*ckin greedy b@stards.

Edited by lookersstandandy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of snippets I've come across from that inaugural premiership season...

We were involved in two of the five highest scoring games that season (8 gls)

We beat Forest 5 v 3 and beat Dons 6 v 2,  

( Christ we're lucky to see that many goals at home now in a full season)

It's hard to believe but we were joint 3rd highest scorers in the Premiership behind Man U & Blackburn but only survived the drop on goal difference as only one team, Middlesbrough, conceded more!

The lowest attendance was an unbelievable 3,039 at Dons v Everton!!

25 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Just a couple of snippets I've come across from that inaugural premiership season...

We were involved in two of the five highest scoring games that season (8 gls)

We beat Forest 5 v 3 and beat Dons 6 v 2,  

( Christ we're lucky to see that many goals at home now in a full season)

It's hard to believe but we were joint 3rd highest scorers in the Premiership behind Man U & Blackburn but only survived the drop on goal difference as only one team, Middlesbrough, conceded more!

The lowest attendance was an unbelievable 3,039 at Dons v Everton!!

We were 10 points off Europe......

Image result for premier league table 1992-93

Just now, rudemedic said:

Except only the top 3 qualified for Europe with the Cup winners going into the now defunct Cup-Winners' Cup.

You're splitting hairs..... I was using 'Europe' as euphemism for Top-6, which in today's money is widely accepted as a place in Europe.

I recall an interview Royle did with BBC or Sky, around 1993, where - after the TV narrator had explained that our manager had previously turned down the advances of Manchester City and had been on the shortlist for the England managers job - he said something along the lines off, "We want to threaten Europe".

I mean, when you pause and take that in.....  If it wasn't so utterly deflating to think that we once competed on merit with these scheisters....  the mere thought of it should give me hard on!

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I've studied footage of games from the 80's and earlier and the standard of football was dross. The likes of Bobby Charlton would be no better in his prime than Marcus Tudgay if he played in the modern era...

OK I'll nibble. Without wanting to wallow in nostalgia, to compare Charlton to Tudgay is pointless. I don't remember Tudgay helping England win a World Cup with some great goals, or his club side win league titles and the European Cup, or playing 100+ times for his country.

Anyway the point is that each era produces the players that it does, who are as good as they can be at that time. Today's "Premier" League footballers certainly run about at high speed and are extremely fit (and manage to crimp their beards and arrange their partings ever so nicely) but who would you pay money to watch? Charlton or Tudgay? Best or Hazard? Ron Harris or John Terry?

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

OK I'll nibble. Without wanting to wallow in nostalgia, to compare Charlton to Tudgay is pointless. I don't remember Tudgay helping England win a World Cup with some great goals, or his club side win league titles and the European Cup, or playing 100+ times for his country.

Anyway the point is that each era produces the players that it does, who are as good as they can be at that time. Today's "Premier" League footballers certainly run about at high speed and are extremely fit (and manage to crimp their beards and arrange their partings ever so nicely) but who would you pay money to watch? Charlton or Tudgay? Best or Hazard? Ron Harris or John Terry?

Tudgay, Hazard and Terry...

39 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Tudgay, Hazard and Terry...

If you watch Bobby Charlton play he can strike the ball of both feet from 30 yards and find the top corner. I cant think of a player in England who can do that right now. The likes of Beckham Gerrard Scholes and Lampard could do it off one peg not both. That's what sets him apart and rightly so.

8 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Might watch that MOTD...

Watching it... Man Yoo didn't have a substitute goalkeeper on the bench in their opening game.... because Gary Bailey was injured and their U18 & U16 teams were playing.

Kinell. As if they'd have that problem today. Instead they - and the rest of the Premier League - each hoard about 7 each, while we don't even own one.

Barry Davies on commentary tho. Has a voice like silk. Could listen to it all day.

17 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I watched Bobby Charlton from his youth, besides sublime skills and shooting ability  he was very quick in his prime.

It's a pretty irrelevant comparison.  The likes of Charlton and Best didn't have the benefits of modern training methods, sports sciences, supplements, physio, etc.  No one is ever going to convince me that if Charlton and Best were playing now they wouldn't be infinitely better than Marcus Tudgay.

7 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

We scored more home goals than any other team that season.

Just like last season... ?

More at home than Arsenal scored home and away and more goals in total than two of the top three.

How the hell did Norwich concede 65 and finish third?

Just now, the_mighty_bosh said:

We scored more home goals than any other team that season.

Just like last season... ?

...and conceded more than everyone, bar QPR....

Dirty Leeds - reigning champions - finished 2 points off relegation in 17th, having lost only once at home and not won a game away all year.....:o ....and they were 2-0 up at BP with 5 minutes left. :lol:  Ian, Ian Olney. :applause1:

I loved football back then.

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

...and conceded more than everyone, bar QPR....

Dirty Leeds - reigning champions - finished 2 points off relegation in 17th, having lost only once at home and not won a game away all year.....:o ....and they were 2-0 up at BP with 5 minutes left. :lol:  Ian, Ian Olney. :applause1:

I loved football back then.

Surely twenty years in the third tier hasn't diminished your love for the game any...?