Corney on Investment

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

We aren't doing due diligence, they are doing due diligence on us. As any investor would. 

I thought that sounded mutual.  Well no doubt know more in coming days or weeks.  If he's Xavi's agent and knows players of the calibre then investment and contacts would be greatly received.

Look at Wolves and the Portuguese agent connections.  Unlocked signings that would never typically happen for Wolves but has happened and boosted the club massively.

Whilst we are currently in dire straites there is no denying that the North West is a power house for successful football teams. It's in their DNA...and it comes at a fraction of the cost of London clubs. 

Its a no brainer...'if you build it they will come'

Corneys closing statement August 31st 2017

Edited by Blue_Guru

1 minute ago, Blue_Guru said:

Whilst we are currently in dier straites there is no denying that the North West is a power house for successful football teams. It's in our DNA...and we come at a fraction of the cost of London clubs. 

Its a no brainer...'if you build it they will come'

Two reasons why someone would buy us - either to secure land/stadium and make a return or have an outlet to showcase players to sell.  

Scenario 2; Agent buys Oldham, fields their players in the EU window who then excel and then sold onto Championship, Premier League or EU clubs.

I'm not fussed if it means success, attractive football but we then continually lose those players.  Shez may not like it if he's being undermined on recruitment.

1 minute ago, Midsblue said:

Two reasons why someone would buy us - either to secure land/stadium and make a return or have an outlet to showcase players to sell.  

Scenario 2; Agent buys Oldham, fields their players in the EU window who then excel and then sold onto Championship, Premier League or EU clubs.

I'm not fussed if it means success, attractive football but we then continually lose those players.  Shez may not like it if he's being undermined on recruitment.

Cheap feeder club in other words...similar to the Cities USA clubs 

2 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

"Who then excel" would please all us I think.

2 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

Cheap feeder club in other words...similar to the Cities USA clubs 

Just now, BP1960 said:

"Who then excel" would please all us I think.

Exactly.  I'd be happy to be a feeder club.  We get success but only temp players.  If it delivers promotion then I don't mind a new eleven every August

18 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Exactly.  I'd be happy to be a feeder club.  We get success but only temp players.  If it delivers promotion then I don't mind a new eleven every August

Id be the complete opposite, if we became a feeder club think that would be me done with league football and head to find a non league team

23 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Although it wouldn't be a new eleven every season as I'm sure the team would reinforced with good experienced players to help bring the kids on.

3 minutes ago, OL9erlatic said:

Id be the complete opposite, if we became a feeder club think that would be me done with league football and head to find a non league team

We're in essence a feeder club anyway - every club is apart from those at the very top and even then they develop players who are then snatched or sold.

I don't mean a Manchester United B club, which can never legally happen under EFL rules anyway, but a club renown for developing players and then selling on.  A Peterborough or even a Southampton.  First step on ladder for us I reckon

20 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

We're in essence a feeder club anyway - every club is apart from those at the very top and even then they develop players who are then snatched or sold.

I don't mean a Manchester United B club, which can never legally happen under EFL rules anyway, but a club renown for developing players and then selling on.  A Peterborough or even a Southampton.  First step on ladder for us I reckon

In my eyes there are 3 ways of doing it,

• The Rochdale way, where you back the lads you have invested time and money in producing from a young age, give them game time and exposure to show what they can do and if they are good sell them for a proper fee.

• The Peterborough way where you invest in Non-league/ ex prem academy lads, play an exciting brand of football score hatfulls and sell them or,

• The Wolves kind of way get involved with agents just use it as a shop window for their agents gain and probably end up getting shafted further down the line.

Its painful to say but id take the Rochdale model every day of the week, but sit in the bottom 6 year on year you never get to give the kids a chance to show what theyv got because its far too big a risk.