Corney on Investment

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

If I was seriously rich and thinking of buying a footballll club I'd look for one with a large catchment area with little local competition.

Tameside have no football league club.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, OL9erlatic said:

Id be the complete opposite, if we became a feeder club think that would be me done with league football and head to find a non league team

We've been feeding the scrap heap for the past few years which has done in hundreds of our own fans, I'm happy to try a different approach in the search for that illusive top half finish. 

1 minute ago, lookersstandandy said:

At our level, off the top of my head, this lot;

Bristol Rovers

Oxford

Swindon

Carlisle

Northampton

Peterborough

MK

Thanks Andy,  saved me the trouble.  Essentially any luck not in the north west!

Edited by Dave_Og

Corney is usually very quick to dismiss the possibility of any potential takeover as was the case earlier this year with the Chinese Ledman rumours. Actually divulging this to the media at this stage suggests that a deal could be close, however, you just know things will go tits up...this is Latics FFS!!

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

If he's reading OWTB he needs to know it wasn't always like this. 

We welcomed Corney & friends with open arms and the vast majority of us backed him 100% until 3 or 4 years ago when he started to bring on all this cynicism & misery upon himself :lol:

I know what you mean but to be fair he admits in the interview that we will never progress further under him, hence the need for fresh funding. He can't or won't provide that funding himself, hence the need for outside investment or a sale.

I actually believe him when he says he would only sell to the right guy. Hugely frustrating of course given what's happened in the last few years, but whatever else you say about him he hasn't walked out on the club.

16 minutes ago, Senor_Coconut said:

Wish you all well but as with the Chinese rumors, not a fan of foreign ownership at this level so that might be me done.

Would you accept a Mike Ashley Senor?

Edited by BP1960

People rightly are sceptical, we have heard enough stories that have amounted to nothing under Corney to last a lifetime. I will believe it when I see it...for now it feels like another injection of optimism as fan morale has taken a serious dip. 

Wonder how/if it will be affecting sheridan and the players though? Surely can only add uncertainty? 

4 minutes ago, Blue_Guru said:

People rightly are sceptical, we have heard enough stories that have amounted to nothing under Corney to last a lifetime. I will believe it when I see it...for now it feels like another injection of optimism as fan morale has taken a serious dip. 

Wonder how/if it will be affecting sheridan and the players though? Surely can only add uncertainty? 

He wasn't exactly gushing in his praise of players or coaches, suggesting a few of them (Clarke/Gerrard/Green?) haven't been earning their corn.

Edited by deyres42

1 hour ago, Senor_Coconut said:

Wish you all well but as with the Chinese rumors, not a fan of foreign ownership at this level so that might be me done.

I've never understood this mentality, it's Trumpesque. If they were from Dover, that would be OK, but if they were from 50 miles further South East and from France then not?
Surely it's the type of owner that is more important. I'd rather Leicester's Thai owners than Chris Moore.

What if they kept Corney on?

2 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

At our level, off the top of my head, this lot;

Bristol Rovers

Oxford

Swindon

Carlisle

Northampton

Peterborough

MK

Interesting, depends on how you look at it,

Bristol Rovers already owner already multi millionaire owner, but f course competition with the riches of Bristol City owner.

The others, for me, lack the major conurbations surrounding them to draw in the crowds ie as a percentage of local area. Sure, they get a better percentage than us, but it's not a large enough catchment IMHO.
Somewhere like Doncaster which has 250,000 and other cities nearer and already a half decent stadium to cope.

Maybe Warrington, at the opposite end of the scale and building from scratch.
Or the South East, like Gillingham which has the 3 Medway Towns, plus Maidstone (or the other way round) and combined immediate area of 400,000  and no other League Clubs for a long way.

Edited by singe

6 minutes ago, singe said:

Interesting, depends on how you look at it,

Bristol Rovers already owner already multi millionaire owner, but f course competition with the riches of Bristol City owner.

The others, for me, lack the major conurbations surrounding them to draw in the crowds ie as a percentage of local area. Sure, they get a better percentage than us, but it's not a large enough catchment IMHO.
Somewhere like Doncaster which has 250,000 and other cities nearer and already a half decent stadium to cope.

Maybe Warrington, at the opposite end of the scale and building from scratch.
Or the South East, like Gillingham which has the 3 Medway Towns, plus Maidstone (or the other way round) and combined immediate area of 400,000  and no other League Clubs for a long way.

Keep an eye out for Bromley. Great potential