2H of the season expectations?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d settle for a top half finish, top 10 would be fantastic and our only top 10 finish in the last 9 years. Plenty more goals and thrills and spills.

currently 9 points off the play offs can we make that up? In my mind no, but there’s lots of local away Days to look forward too in the spring. What I want is a feeling of momentum when we start next season. Hopefully the takeover happens soon and we can forget about the last 10 years of being in ‘administration’. Hopefully the days of giving out best prospects away and letting contracts run down will be over and we can start to build a team for the first time in a long time. 

I fully expect to lose at least two of the loanees but it seems that plans are in place to bring in a few. A left back is a must as is a reserve keeper and a smaller striker. I’d like us to push the boat out she sign Doyle but it won’t happen. 

So in a nutshell I want stability and a sense the club can come out of reverse gear..

Edited by oafcprozac

To get into the mix for the play offs we really need to put a run together of 7-8 straight wins this side of March as while our form is good we have alot of ground to make up and unlike avoiding relegation the people we are trying to catch (the top 6 as opposed to finishing above the bottom 4) are usually winning so catching and overtaking them becomes much tougher. If we do that I will happily get carried away. Right now Im just pretty happy and enjoying the fact that we are watching a team that is winning more often than its losing and playing some good football in the process.

Wellens first 12 League Games

P12 W6 D4 L2 Pts 22

Match or better the same run we’ll have played 33 overall with 48 points needing a minimum of 22 from the last 13 games. I can’t see it tbh - especially if we lose Doyle who’s scored almost a third of our league goals.

wellens has averaged 1.83 Pts a game over a season that’s 84. However he’s only going to manage 37 games this year so that same 1.83 x 37 equates to 60 and I expect us to be around the 60-64 point mark.

if you take into account our points per game over the full season so far it’s around 1.24 meaning we’ll be around the 57 point mark but as I’ve said I can see us doing better than 57 and our usual 17th.

The opening 9 games has killed a play off push unless we replicate  Apr-Nov ‘90 and sept ‘06-Feb ‘07 or the start to 08/09

‘90 we had Ritchie and Marshall

06/07 we had Porter in the form of his life assisted by Warne 

08/09 we had Hughes

Doyle or someone similarly prolific is the key. Even then we are likely to fail BUT it’ll be fun trying! 

This is is what we need to emulate to get into the play offs 

25 games remaining...

‘90 P20 W13 D7 L0 Pts 46/60

06/07 P25 W16 D6 L3 Pts 54/75

08/09 P25 W13 D8 L4 Pts 47/75

6 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

I’d settle for a top half finish, top 10 would be fantastic and our only top 10 finish in the last 9 years. Plenty more goals and thrills and spills.

currently 9 points off the play offs can we make that up? In my mind no, but there’s lots of local away Days to look forward too in the spring. What I want is a feeling of momentum when we start next season. Hopefully the takeover happens soon and we can forget about the last 10 years of being in ‘administration’. Hopefully the days of giving out best prospects away and letting contracts run down will be over and we can start to build a team for the first time in a long time. 

I fully expect to lose at least two of the loanees but it seems that plans are in place to bring in a few. A left back is a must as is a reserve keeper and a smaller striker. I’d like us to push the boat out she sign Doyle but it won’t happen. 

So in a nutshell I want stability and a sense the club can come out of reverse gear..

What if Abdallah goes mental in January and we lose nobody important and add even more quality?  

57 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

Wellens first 12 League Games

P12 W6 D4 L2 Pts 22

Match or better the same run we’ll have played 33 overall with 48 points needing a minimum of 22 from the last 13 games. I can’t see it tbh - especially if we lose Doyle who’s scored almost a third of our league goals.

wellens has averaged 1.83 Pts a game over a season that’s 84. However he’s only going to manage 37 games this year so that same 1.83 x 37 equates to 60 and I expect us to be around the 60-64 point mark.

if you take into account our points per game over the full season so far it’s around 1.24 meaning we’ll be around the 57 point mark but as I’ve said I can see us doing better than 57 and our usual 17th.

The opening 9 games has killed a play off push unless we replicate  Apr-Nov ‘90 and sept ‘06-Feb ‘07 or the start to 08/09

‘90 we had Ritchie and Marshall

06/07 we had Porter in the form of his life assisted by Warne 

08/09 we had Hughes

Doyle or someone similarly prolific is the key. Even then we are likely to fail BUT it’ll be fun trying! 

This is is what we need to emulate to get into the play offs 

25 games remaining...

‘90 P20 W13 D7 L0 Pts 46/60

06/07 P25 W16 D6 L3 Pts 54/75

08/09 P25 W13 D8 L4 Pts 47/75

That’s very reasoned and probably spot on. 

But fuck it. . 

E I e I e i o! ?

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

He’s a RB playing LB he’s doing more than ok but I’d like to see a proper LB that can maraude like Dummigan 

that and if the taleover hasn’t been completed he’s being touted around for £300k 

Who's being touted around for £300k, Hunt or Dummigan?

17 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I always expect the worst, so I'm expecting us to find out Abdallah doesn't have as much cash as we originally thought and we get embroiled (once again) in a relegation battle and Wellens moves to Blackburn...

With Doyle

7 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Hunt, there are rumours he has a minimum release fee of £300k.

WOuld that be our record sale in League 1? Seems like double the price we normally sell. Good business SC 

Realistically I haven't had this much optimism since LJ was in charge and we let him go, and in this league 3 wins from our next 3 games, and that 9 points form the playoffs could be 2/3. I think then we may see Byne/Bryan stay, but I just cannot see Doyle staying on to be honest, even with his recent dip in form, I would imagine one of the teams wanting to go up in our league will spend the cash to take him in Jan. But Davies/Holloway/Duffus could still be good enough to take us to top half of the table. Keep Doyle and I think we could stage a promotion push.

Edited by youngen

9 minutes ago, youngen said:

WOuld that be our record sale in League 1? Seems like double the price we normally sell. Good business SC 

Realistically I haven't had this much optimism since LJ was in charge and we let him go, and in this league 3 wins from our next 3 games, and that 9 points form the playoffs could be 2/3. I think then we may see Byne/Bryan stay, but I just cannot see Doyle staying on to be honest, even with his recent dip in form, I would imagine one of the teams wanting to go up in our league will spend the cash to take him in Jan. But Davies/Holloway/Duffus could still be good enough to take us to top half of the table. Keep Doyle and I think we could stage a promotion push.

Half of any sale goes to Brighton.

Think Trotman went for about 500k.

1 hour ago, youngen said:

Respect what your saying, but what have you seen in Duffus to suggest he is a capable league one player ? Not saying he won’t be , I’ve just not seen any evidence YET ?