2H of the season expectations?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Well, yeah. But what's that got to do with 'taking it as gospel' but not believing Corney? I don't believe he has ever come out and said he sold the sell on clause?

He didn't. But people are happy to take the assumption on that one as gospel and yet not on other matters.

22 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I always expect the worst, so I'm expecting us to find out Abdallah doesn't have as much cash as we originally thought and we get embroiled (once again) in a relegation battle and Wellens moves to Blackburn...

The Arab Micheal Knighton

4 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Respect what your saying, but what have you seen in Duffus to suggest he is a capable league one player ? Not saying he won’t be , I’ve just not seen any evidence YET ?

No, but any striker who is worth his salt will score goals with the chances we create at the minute. If not Davies/Holloway look pretty decent as a strikeforce tbh, theyre just not quite as good as Doyle/different players.

3 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

And people wonder why they end up with poor reputation on here.....

He’s done his best give the guy a break! Now he’s found is a new owner, kept us a float and in this league unlike many a team who are now none league! I for one thank him and wish him well for the future 

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

He’s done his best give the guy a break! Now he’s found is a new owner, kept us a float and in this league unlike many a team who are now none league! I for one thank him and wish him well for the future 

Couldn't agree more.

Anything is possible

If I look at the play off teams- I'd include Shrews who are plummeting and Portsmouth who are flying- then the question is can we catch any off them?

Over the last 5

Shrews             4 points     difference to us   -4

Blackburn       15                                               +7

Bradford          9                                                +1

Scunthorpe     12                                              +4

Charlton           5                                               -3

Portsmouth    12                                              +4

So we are only making ground on two. At current rates we'd catch them after 36 and 41 games. So we could be 'in the mix'

We could get something from all of our next 5, they all look 'winnable'- maybe Plymouth the hardest given their current form. Shrews collapse must end sometime though.

It all hinges on January for me. Keep or improve the squad- top half finish flirt with playoffs. But until January I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

2 hours ago, Wardie said:

I wish I could say that Latics had "plummeted" to 2nd in the league. :D 
I know what you mean, though.

Fair play, I could have described their recent poor form in a better way.I'm starting to worry we will be the catalyst for their turnaround!

Can you imagine the melt down on here if we picked up 4 points from 15 having been top.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 3:35 PM, Londonboy said:

Assuming AL takes control of the club at some stage over the next few weeks, what should we expect/prioritise for the 2nd half of the season?

IMO

1. We should really make a push in the Checkatrade trouphy. If we can beat Leicesters kids (plus Iheanacho) I'd fancy us against anyone left in and a trip to Wembley would be a massive lift and great financially for the club.

2. If we can hold onto the loanees - Bryan and Byrne in particular, and maintain our form under Wellens - (22 points from 12 games), we can realistically finish with around 72 points....which might just squeeze into the play-offs....why not?

3. Don't be tempted to sell anyone! (unless we want to get rid!!) The current matchday squad needs to form the basis of our team for next season wherever we end up.

Changed my mind.... Finish 17th!!!?

Without loanees Id say just above relegation.The absence of Doyle is crucial.Not had a better striker for many years.

A lot depends on the takeover and what the new owners bring to the table and I  dont mean a turkey!

We have a lot of deadwood in the squad and cant afford to carry passengers..Aclear out at the end of this season is a must.

59 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Without loanees Id say just above relegation.The absence of Doyle is crucial.Not had a better striker for many years.

A lot depends on the takeover and what the new owners bring to the table and I  dont mean a turkey!

We have a lot of deadwood in the squad and cant afford to carry passengers..Aclear out at the end of this season is a must.

That last line could literally have been posted every season for the last 8 years or so!!!!