Ray Wilkins

No affiliation with Latics whatsoever (as far as I know) but a proper gent and his enthusiasm and upbeat attitude were to be admired. Seemed like a really great bloke with not a bad word for anyone. 

Used to like his reply to “how are you?”.. “disgustingly well”

RIP. 

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I remember his lovely through ball that lead up to QPR's consolation in this game though, outside of right boot into the path of the 14.....

I was at that game, must have been as I was an ever present that season, but I have zero recollection of it?

A great guy and a gentleman but Lets also not forget a bloody good footballer too.

You dont play for Man U Chelsea A.C. Milan and win 84 England caps at a time when playing regularly for England didnt just happen for you if you were English and regularly playing top flight football like now if you dont have something about you.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

I was at that game, must have been as I was an ever present that season, but I have zero recollection of it?

I was in the Lookers upper, level with the 18 yard line and had a perfect view. I remember thinking it was a lovely pass and not something we often saw from Milligan & Henry - Redfearn maybe - as their jobs were to win it and get it wide to our full backs/wingers. I watched a lot of 1st division players with reputations with interest in our 1st season back in the top flight, and recall him having a touch of class. Paul Merson was another who I thought stood out at BP.

Edited by lookersstandandy

45 minutes ago, doodmaster said:

He got caught drink driving 3 times, one of those times while still banned. Great guy   :petesake:  :petesake:  :crackpot:   :drinking66:

Oh if that’s the case he’s got what he deserved then ain’t he numpty ?

classy post that. And let me just say I detest drink  driving. Is this the time and place tho ? 

1 hour ago, doodmaster said:

He got caught drink driving 3 times, one of those times while still banned. Great guy   :petesake:  :petesake:  :crackpot:   :drinking66:

First post.  Might be best if you think before posting again.  There's a time and a place for that sort of comment and it isn't when somebody's died.

On 04/04/2018 at 6:46 PM, lookersstandandy said:

I was in the Lookers upper, level with the 18 yard line and had a perfect view. I remember thinking it was a lovely pass and not something we often saw from Milligan & Henry - Redfearn maybe - as their jobs were to win it and get it wide to our full backs/wingers. I watched a lot of 1st division players with reputations with interest in our 1st season back in the top flight, and recall him having a touch of class. Paul Merson was another who I thought stood out at BP.

:rolleyes: How’s that worth a downbowt doodmaster? I’ve commented on his footballing ability only, not the substance of his character or how many pints he can down, you prize :censored: :lol:

Edited by lookersstandandy

15 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

:rolleyes: How’s that worth a downbowt doodmaster? I’ve commented on his footballing ability only, not the substance of his character or how many pints he can down, you prize :censored: :lol:

Because doodmaster is a bellend. He has gone through the entire thread downvoting every  post.  Really classy when someone has died. Wilkins had his demons but he had overcome them, now he dies.  Show some respect dood.

Not a post about Ray Wilkins, but I’ve just seen a BBC Sport story about the death of Dermot Drummy, the former Crawley manager, from suicide, not too long after being sacked by the club

It’s a stark reminder that the game is a life to many people, and it’ll certainly make me think before I post for a time

Yes remember him scoring a free kick at the Rochdale road  end for Chelsea.

Sometime mid 70s.

In those days we saved money by standing in the 'Away end.

so we were in among the Chelsea fans.

He seemed a great advocate for the quiet expert when commentating..something the newer guys could learn from.

My word.....