Trust Oldham - interview with Tameside Reporter

In my capacity as a member of the TO Board I shall respond more fully to this feedback later when I have more time.

What I would say for now is that, with all due respect, you are totally  missing the point. Darren is working his socks off to put the trust in a position where it can affect positive change within the club. It has not been in that position for many years. We are starting from a low base.

The focus is on ensuring the club has a sustainable and viable future. The trust’s horizon is 5, 10, 15 years hence and principally focused on off the pitch matters, not what happens on the

pitch this season or next.

Promotion in the short term would be great but it is not the be all and end all and mustn’t be something to be pursued at any cost. There are bigger issues to concern ourselves with. That was Darren’s point. Don’t take it out of context.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Andy b said:

In my capacity as a member of the TO Board I shall respond more fully to this feedback later when I have more time.

What I would say for now is that, with all due respect, you are totally  missing the point. Darren is working his socks off to put the trust in a position where it can affect positive change within the club. It has not been in that position for many years. We are starting from a low base.

The focus is on ensuring the club has a sustainable and viable future. The trust’s horizon is 5, 10, 15 years hence and principally focused on off the pitch matters, not what happens on the

pitch this season or next.

Promotion in the short term would be great but it is not the be all and end all and mustn’t be something to be pursued at any cost. There are bigger issues to concern ourselves with. That was Darren’s point. Don’t take it out of context.

And how does that happen?

Because if I'm honest I'm not sure how the Trust can give the club a sustainable future.

Regarding the interview I think some have taken Darrens comment out of context regarding promotion this season doesn't mean he doesn't want promotion or that it shouldn't be an aim he has just said this season which at the moment looks unlikely anyway. Another reason why would not get involved in the Trust.

He says about the fans wanting to know the inner workings of the football club. I disagree with this. The fans just want to see that from the outside the club they care about is being run competently. Alright their will always be some people who will want to know more than they need to. But for most people what they want is a relatively competitive side out on the pitch, the stadium which they visit in relatively good nick compared to other comparable clubs, no shitstorms off the pitch I.e. employee unrest, no stories of staff or bills going unpaid, then abit of communication every now and again just to let fans know what's going on and why certain things happened is more than enough. We don't need to know everything and we don't want to either. If the club or even the Trust has to respond with a statement to every rumour on social media then you would have to set up an employ an entire department to firefight that.

I agree that it would be good to know what Abdullah plan is Because it would give people some confidence to invest some faith in him and get behind him. But what we see now is acts of randomness volatility and at times incompetence. I'd would question anyone's sanity for buying any business let alone one as complicated as a football club who had no plan. Having no plan is not fine at all its insanity.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

And how does that happen?

Because if I'm honest I'm not sure how the Trust can give the club a sustainable future.

Regarding the interview I think some have taken Darrens comment out of context regarding promotion this season doesn't mean he doesn't want promotion or that it shouldn't be an aim he has just said this season which at the moment looks unlikely anyway. Another reason why would not get involved in the Trust.

He says about the fans wanting to know the inner workings of the football club. I disagree with this. The fans just want to see that from the outside the club they care about is being run competently. Alright their will always be some people who will want to know more than they need to. But for most people what they want is a relatively competitive side out on the pitch, the stadium which they visit in relatively good nick compared to other comparable clubs, no shitstorms off the pitch I.e. employee unrest, no stories of staff or bills going unpaid, then abit of communication every now and again just to let fans know what's going on and why certain things happened is more than enough. We don't need to know everything and we don't want to either. If the club or even the Trust has to respond with a statement to every rumour on social media then you would have to set up an employ an entire department to firefight that.

I agree that it would be good to know what Abdullah plan is Because it would give people some confidence to invest some faith in him and get behind him. But what we see now is acts of randomness volatility and at times incompetence. I'd would question anyone's sanity for buying any business let alone one as complicated as a football club who had no plan. Having no plan is not fine at all its insanity.

How does that happen? That’s a good question but generally a number of ways: 

- engaging the owner, challenging him on how he is running the club and getting him to put things right where needed 

- using its legal right as a club share holder  to achieve the above

- speaking for the fans and doing it publically. People power can be influential

- securing the long term future of BP as a football stadium and ensuring it cannot be developed for other purposes (ACV for example and ensuring the Oldham Local Plan puts some protective policies in place relating to BP which reflect its vital community role)

- building a war chest so fans can take over should the unthinkable happen

That’s not to say that the trust has been 100 per cent effective in these areas but the above are the principal means by which the trust can have a positive effect going forward. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Typical knee jerk comments and overreaction from the usual suspects🙄😴

It was exactly what I wanted to hear and thought his opinions were sensible and balanced.

Have to agree mate, I think he echoes the sentiments of the realists. 

52 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Listen to the whole thing then.  Long term existence without some sort of solid base is unlikely.

A stable existence provides the foundation for success hence the trust’s focus. The latter rarely comes without the former. It’s not about ambition.