A plea to our Trust . . . . . .

I joined recently and attended a few of the meetings that were open to us all. I have to say I’ve been rather disappointed with the whole organisation. I fully appreciate they have been try to act in a professional and business like manner with the owner but I think that time passed long ago.

A massive opportunity was lost with the protest that didn’t happen for Mansfield at home Sky game we did this to give the Trust (at their request) time to try and build a relationship with the owner and give us all some assurances things at the club are ok or otherwise.

I now, like many others, feel it’s time to ditch the 3% shares and the place on the board and the Trust become a true voice of the fans and hold the owner to account in a way they don’t seem able to at the moment

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, ghostofcecere said:

I now, like many others, feel it’s time to ditch the 3% shares and the place on the board and the Trust become a true voice of the fans and hold the owner to account in a way they don’t seem able to at the moment

Why does this topic always seem to end up with the trust having to ditch it's stake in the club? 

If so many feel this way then set up your own trust and to quote you become the true voice of the club, then see where that get's you.

I would say never give up something you will never get back again.

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

Regular posters on OWTB, all commenting on this thread. 

I only joined the Trust this year but really 

interested to know how many of you are 

Trust members

mcfluff1985 . yarddogs . sjk2008 . youngen . deyres42

simplythemostimportantkick . mickjagger

oafcshuck . HarryBosch . JohnnyPimp

Joined few months ago, just left this week.

2 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

I’m of the opinion that the 3% gets the Trust not only a foot in the door but more importantly a seat at the table.

Only recently it was reported a Trust Director got access to our Clubs financial accounts which is not an insignificant step in building better communications with the  Owner. 

We will achieve little ‘chucking rocks’ other than risk further isolating the Owner. 

Firmly believe that the larger the number of supporters who become Trust members, the greater the Trust influence will be with the Club 

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The accounts viewing was a bit iffy for me plus the lack of response to the past few weeks.

tbh I wasn’t expecting any fireworks after the Trust viewed the accounts but lets be fair, it was progress to at least get to see them. 

I agree the Trust communications this last month or so  have been few and far between which is disappointing when supporters concerns are heightened with all thats been going on at Bolton and Bury.

My guess is their personnel are thin on the ground especially due to peak school holidays but that was the main point of my post.

The Trust really do need to publish what skills they are short of and a list of ‘essential roles’ they would like to ‘recruit’ so our supporters feel more engaged with their Club. 

50 minutes ago, tGWB said:

I’m of the opinion that the 3% gets the Trust not only a foot in the door but more importantly a seat at the table.

Only recently it was reported a Trust Director got access to our Clubs financial accounts which is not an insignificant step in building better communications with the  Owner. 

We will achieve little ‘chucking rocks’ other than risk further isolating the Owner. 

Firmly believe that the larger the number of supporters who become Trust members, the greater the Trust influence will be with the Club 

It only gives them a seat at the table at the owners behest, and therein lies the issue, they have to treat him with kid gloves and it becomes pointless. A new approach is required in my opinion, they should be leading the protests, their whole remit was around holding future owners to account after the Chris Moore saga and yet here we are again.

1 hour ago, ghostofcecere said:

It only gives them a seat at the table at the owners behest, and therein lies the issue, they have to treat him with kid gloves and it becomes pointless. A new approach is required in my opinion, they should be leading the protests, their whole remit was around holding future owners to account after the Chris Moore saga and yet here we are again.

But as people have suggested, they can keep the shares and go against the club. So they might lose the seat on the board? And the ‘cooperation of the club (not that they have it anyway in my opinion).  But they won’t lose their rights as shareholders (?). 

8 hours ago, tGWB said:

tbh I wasn’t expecting any fireworks after the Trust viewed the accounts but lets be fair, it was progress to at least get to see them. 

I agree the Trust communications this last month or so  have been few and far between which is disappointing when supporters concerns are heightened with all thats been going on at Bolton and Bury.

My guess is their personnel are thin on the ground especially due to peak school holidays but that was the main point of my post.

The Trust really do need to publish what skills they are short of and a list of ‘essential roles’ they would like to ‘recruit’ so our supporters feel more engaged with their Club. 

Think they did try recruiting in the not too distant past but then insist on folk attending meetings to be sworn in and sign the official secrets act.

9 hours ago, ghostofcecere said:

Of course the 3% shareholding doesn't give them unlimited access to the Club and the Trust are limited in what they can do. It's far from pointless though and progress has been made only recently by the Trust getting access to the Clubs financial accounts. Was this access given to the Trust in a new spirit of openness and goodwill by the owner or simply due to someone advising him and the board that a 3% shareholder and board representative does have 'legal rights'.

Regarding protests, to be honest I've not read anything on our forums that in my opinion would achieve anything other than make a few folk feel better for  a few days about airing their frustrations. Our fan base is too fragmented and most simply want to watch the team that most have followed since being a child, not risk being caught up in what some would promote as 'a mob of football fans'

7 hours ago, maddog said:

But as people have suggested, they can keep the shares and go against the club. So they might lose the seat on the board? And the ‘cooperation of the club (not that they have it anyway in my opinion).  But they won’t lose their rights as shareholders (?). 

Which is what I believe they should do they need stop to trying to appease him, as Winston Churchill once said an appeaser is someone who feeds a crocodile and hopes it will eat him last.

Also if the Trust want volunteers what do they need help with? if they say they need help with certain things then by all means say and people might come forward it needs to be something practical not just membership.  

7 hours ago, maddog said:

Bolton fans 'protests' caught the attention of the media and achieved very little, except, if we're honest, a chuckle watching a few 'herberts'  jumping up and down outside their stadium for the tv cameras.

Over the last few days as Bury FC's  time in the football league came to end, being brutally honest and maybe a little unkind, I didn't witness thousands of their supporters protesting and even their call to clean their stadium this week for what they hoped would be their first game of the season, only attracted a few supporters.

The Trust should most definitely keep the 3% shareholding and make best of what that benefit brings

Saying all that, the Trust only has c350 members and we need to significantly increase its membership so the Trust can truly say they represent the majority of our fanbase.

The clock is ticking me thinks  . . . . . . . . . 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Think they did try recruiting in the not too distant past but then insist on folk attending meetings to be sworn in and sign the official secrets act.

17 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Which is what I believe they should do they need stop to trying to appease him, as Winston Churchill once said an appeaser is someone who feeds a crocodile and hopes it will eat him last.

Also if the Trust want volunteers what do they need help with? if they say they need help with certain things then by all means say and people might come forward it needs to be something practical not just membership.  

For me, the Trust is our best chance, maybe our only chance, of helping our club avoid being the next Bury FC and that doesn't mean always having to be at the front of any protests.

The Trust needs to work with any owner until the point comes when it is not in the best interests of the club and our supporters to do so. By that I mean, should any financial irregularities or corporate malpractice be uncovered.

The Trust and our supporters cant pick the team but hopefully over time, we can increasingly have an active role in influencing our clubs strategy 

In short, I don't see the Trust with its current volunteer limited skillset and numbers being able to make best use of the platform it has built to date

I sincerely hope the Trust reaches out and at least tries to build its access to more skilled volunteers and urgently looks to swell its membership numbers.

Just my opinion of course.

:chubb:

9 hours ago, latics22 said:

Why do they charge to join? Wouldn't they get more if it was free or a donation?

Morning latics22

Its only £10 for a 12 month Membership. Nothing really is it when you think what the fans of Bury FC are going through

The Trust are all volunteers but they will need some funds I'd think for some administrative expenses and should the need ever arise they might need to take some legal advice, which doesnt come for free

They'll be running the Trust on the goodwill of fellow Latics supporters and friends in their own time and  I'd wager they dont even haver a rent free office base to work from.

Just wish more fellow supporters would join and at least give them a fighting chance to be a positive influence with any owner of our club. 

:chubb:

What’s happening with this FLG?

Are they still buying the stadium and land?

Are they using this source of funding to try and buy the club back too?

This is the only way I can see us avoiding us becoming the next Bury - FLG and Trust combine and do the following -

1. Declare all who are involved in FLG and not hide behind secrecy

2. Be transparent on the OEC deal with Lemsagam  i.e. the net financial benefit for each party around the arrangement - that way the Lemsagam can no longer suggest he’s being ripped off

3. Be open with the objectives around purchasing stadium/ground sale

4. Demand open / regular meetings between the FLG and Lemsagam to protect the future of our club 

5. Demand answers around the recruitment and selection policy - we need to strengthen and fast

If Lemsagam rejects point 4 then its time to act.  Enough with the tinpot dictatorship.  If point 2 demonstrates a net income to the club and Lemsagam’s pride or contempt derives us of that income then who’s side 100% of the fan base should take is clear.

Just now, Midsblue said:

What’s happening with this FLG?

Are they still buying the stadium and land?

Are they using this source of funding to try and buy the club back too?

This is the only way I can see us avoiding us becoming the next Bury - FLG and Trust combine and do the following -

1. Declare who is involved in FLG

Good luck. 

More interested in flogging artisan burgers and gin. Still don’t know where that money is going? 

Brass Bank and OEC are to be struck off in 4 weeks. How is this not being dealt with in a communication. It may all be part of a plan and not a problem, but it would be nice to know. 

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Good luck. 

More interested in flogging artisan burgers and gin. Still don’t know where that money is going? 

Brass Bank and OEC are to be struck off in 4 weeks. How is this not being dealt with in a communication. It may all be part of a plan and not a problem, but it would be nice to know. 

This is where the Trust then needs to ask questions to the FLG and Lemsagam.  

I feel sorry for the Trust members because they’re volunteers, the Trust has limited funds and very little influence over the two warring parties.  

What is your view? We sit, watch football and hope that Lemsagam is actually a good egg and is also a shrewd scout of non-league and lower league French football, recruiting raw talent that will become a super team next season?

Just now, Midsblue said:

This is where the Trust then needs to ask questions to the FLG and Lemsagam.  

I feel sorry for the Trust members because they’re volunteers, the Trust has limited funds and very little influence over the two warring parties.  

What is your view? We sit, watch football and hope that Lemsagam is actually a good egg and is also a shrewd scout of non-league and lower league French football, recruiting raw talent that will become a super team next season?

You don’t seem to be listening.

I’m not saying that at all.  

Fans are literally powerless, the FLG seem to be playing games, the Trust are compromised, the EFL rules and company law complicit.

It’s a mess that fans can’t fix. 

Archived