MATCH: vs Newport County (H) 07/08/2021

Just now, maximus1267 said:

I think alot of fans on here aren't all that optimistic they are just trying to have a reasoned view on not writing the team off after one game with no forwards, against the play off final losers who are one of the favourites this season. A game we deserved to draw in all fairness.

I do not think we're a good team, I don't expect us to win promotion, I want the two clowns out and a change of ownership just like most fans do but I dont make assumptions after one game that we are wrote off.

Its a league where anyone can get promoted really, a bit of luck, a good run, a bit of confidence and a less busy treatment room could be the difference between a poor season and a good one.

Some players are injury prone yes, but like Macaleny last season, it proves you can have a injury free season too.

Now have I made any silly optimistic declarations there or have I just been tried to have a reasoned view.

i have said exactly the same; said it was a free pass in the circumstances.  I have zero optimism however and while I hope I am wrong there is more substance to that reasoned view than any other reasoned view.

Just in the process of organising an OASIS Gold reunion for some time in the season.  At an away game I suspect.  Boundary Park is just too depressing.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Glass half empty vs glass half full.

I am mates with a Bolton fan who thought this time last year, up to around December time that they were on the brink of non league, he's was never going again etc, etc, etc. Look how that turned out.

Also look at Morecambe, I am confident in thinking, without knowing, that they didn't have a big budget. Look how that turned out.

As for the forwards, I see things differently, obviously.

They might not be 20+ a season forwards, but if you put Bahamboula, Hope, Dearnley in that team the goal threat would have been much higher due to the fact we could probably have played some football in the final 3rd. 

On saturday there was nothing available up top for our midfielders, wing backs and defenders to hit.

On Saturday the midfield and defence looked promising to me, I could see that once they get to know each other and the style of play required they will be a better unit than last year.

I know some fans on here see that team on Saturday and have made their minds up about the season already but surely if you have watched football or played you know a severley weakend team is different to a full strength one.

I find it interesting and sometimes hard to understand the logic but in saying that my logic might be way off to you lot.

Bolton turned it around when they sacked their DOF in January, and gave Evatt full control. 

Morecambe are run far better than we are, and got the absolute most out of a modest budget. 

We need to move past - ‘it’s one game.’ Or ‘the league is shit’ we don’t have the management structure or reputation at the minute to maximise our budget and/or attract players. The squad screams make do, it’s got sticking plasters all over it. 

Look, I hate where we are. I’d absolutely love to be buzzing and be genuinely excited. But surely we have to have a objective honest look at where we are, and say it’s worrying at best. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Bolton turned it around when they sacked their DOF in January, and gave Evatt full control. 

Morecambe are run far better than we are, and got the absolute most out of a modest budget. 

We need to move past - ‘it’s one game.’ Or ‘the league is shit’ we don’t have the management structure or reputation at the minute to maximise our budget and/or attract players. The squad screams make do, it’s got sticking plasters all over it. 

Look, I hate where we are. I’d absolutely love to be buzzing and be genuinely excited. But surely we have to have a objective honest look at where we are, and say it’s worrying at best. 

Well thats a great post and much more real than some you've posted recently but I know it's easy to react on here and sometimes things written don't always come accross how they are intended.

We all want the same tho outcome  👍

It’s going to be a rough August for sure, we won’t get going until next month. 

It’s just going to be another year of inconsistency and a lowly finish. 

Fascinated to see what the attendances will be come November. Sub 2k?

38 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This is where i'm at too.  I'm furious that yet again we've started a season with an understrength squad, largely cobbled together at the last minute.  A few players are unavailable and suddenly we have people saying they wouldn't expect us to score... at home... versus Newport.  It's a shocking state of affairs.

The club should have been hammering that season ticket price offer all summer, but if I've read the PTB notes from their meeting with Karl correctly one of the reasons for not doing so was because there have been negative responses to social media output in the last 12 months.  Incredible.

1 minute ago, The Greek said:

Curle says he hopes for a top ten finish. You give a sarcastic woohoo. Do you seriously expect him to say we will be promoted and then get shot down in flames? It’s just cautious optimism.

Eh?

I know it is. I think we agree. . 

We haven’t got a prayer of promotion, it’s the absolute upper limit of what he could say, whilst keeping some semblance of credibility. If he was being really honest, he would of said I’d snap your hand off to stay up.

My ‘woohoo’ comment was to temper fan expectations when our own coach is setting the bar of a top ten finish. 

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

A good base and structure was all we ever needed…. Losing 4-3 was rubbish. Ahh well let’s have a structured solid base and get bored to death every game with a 0-1 loss.

I said when the better players come it will improve,not the team that played Saturday which was a patch up job 

1 hour ago, LaticMark said:

Oh, maybe we should try that!

They bought almost a full first team in January. Not surprised it worked, and I don't really think their DoF was the issue previously.

They also made a loss of £3.5m last season and still have £30m of debt, with a fair chunk of that due in just the next year or two.

If they don't make the Championship by 2023 they'll be back down in L2 shaking buckets. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived