BPAS PODCAST SEASON 2: 28th Dec '21 Episode 64: Hurt their Pockets & their Pride

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Can't agree with this at all. Its hand-wringing at its worst, for me.

You need a paradigm shift (of one kind or another), and the evidence available suggests that the current owner isn't going to provide one that involves investment, changed management practice or better recruitment. So that puts the onus on you to try to achieve a shift of your own, which is what PTB have been doing for some time. The longer you choose not to pick a side, the longer you perpetuate the status quo. And the status quo is likely to see you visiting places like Wealdstone and possibly even Chorley next season.

Spot on. 

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Agreed. In fact I’d add the Three Tossers to AL and Moore. All charlatans.

They didn't do the populist shit as much which probably bought them abit more respect. However they didn't deliver anywhere near so while they fucked up in a different way.

I've now had the chance to listen to the Pod, very interesting as usual. Some observations :

a) I agree with everyone who says a total boycott isn't feasible. Even at Blackpool around 1,000 or so people kept going in. But we were also able to boycott their other businesses, shun club sponsors in their areas of business, boycott club merchandise (and sell our own), plus mount a huge effort aimed at the EFL, Parliament and the quality Press.  In Matt's word, "relentless". The cumulative impact is worth more than the sum of its parts, because the club starts being seen as a pariah ; agents don't want to do business with it, established players aren't keen on coming and (eventually) some of the bigger clubs stop sending their kids on loan.

b) with every week that goes by your hopes of avoiding the bottom two recede for me, and January will be key. The experienced managers at Stevenage, Scunny and Carlisle will all make incremental improvement at least (in all likelihood), so you have to do a bit better than that. COVID is not helping, if it leads to the season finishing early and PPG coming into play. 

c) is relegation the be all and end all? It's a massive step backwards, but not necessarily a complete disaster, if it forces Abdallah's hand (as Matt said). But it is a tough, tough league to be in, and not just because it is full of ex-league clubs with money and decent sized fanbases. But also because there plenty of very well run, smaller, resourceful clubs (like Boreham Wood, Bromley, Solihull and Halifax, to name but four) who will take some competing with. I mention Southend every other week, but they are a salutary example of what can happen if you blunder into the NL with people who aren't up to the task in charge.

I think your campaign has moved forward a lot since the time early in the year when I first started taking a close interest.  But I think that Matt is also right when he says that the time for giving them the benefit of the doubt should really be over. The events of the last week have illustrated that the current regime do not understand the place the club holds in the local community, have scant regard for tradition or passion and  cannot respond to criticism or challenge like mature adults. 

We may have a shadow regulator before very long.  If we do, I hope you will be at the head of the queue asking to be a real, live focus for their efforts and making the case for why it should be you rather than anyone else. 

39 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

As a sort of special advisor? Your experience would be invaluable I wager.

Got you now.

I'm Secretary to our Trust. And I co-authored the FSA proposals on regulation. I did a lot on managing institutional performance before I retired. Probably past my sell-by date by now!

On 12/29/2021 at 6:25 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Plus it's a professional way of doing business and we want professional people running the club who are going to run the club quietly and without fuss and integrity and concentrating on delivering what they said they will do. I don't want someone playing the populist card standing on a soap box telling people what they want to hear and then not delivering. That's what Abdallah did that's what Chris Moore did. 

Why have you missed TTAdministrators out? They did it too. The only difference was they had to step off the soap box whilst talking bc they sold 20% of it during the speach.

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Why have you missed TTA out? They did it too. The only difference was they had to step off the soap box whilst talking bc they sold 20% of it during the speach.

As explained above Corney Blitz and Gazal failed I'm a different way. They actually came across as professional at first then just completely failed to deliver on what they said they would do.

Just now, GlossopLatic said:

As explained above Corney Blitz and Gazal failed I'm a different way. They actually came across as professional at first then just completely failed to deliver on what they said they would do.

Yeah l noticed you had replied after l replied.

l remember them grandstanding with the best of them, they even opened up a stand when there wasnt even a match on in order to do so.

Maybe you just remember their lies differently bc you could see the Brassbank shit going on and Simon Silvertongue was better at lying afterwards to alter the narrative?

Whatever the reason, they certainly don't deserve any omition from any list of populist lying cunt owners.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

The 2008/9 crash destroyed their plan, never to recover 

20 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Got you now.

I'm Secretary to our Trust. And I co-authored the FSA proposals on regulation. I did a lot on managing institutional performance before I retired. Probably past my sell-by date by now!

See, you love it. Someone sign him up!

(I also need a treasurer for my local amateur club if you're good with numbers? :chubb:)

On 12/31/2021 at 1:12 PM, Dave_Og said:

The 2008/9 crash destroyed their plan, never to recover 

At which point Blitz should have called it a day and put us up for sale.

Instead he “stepped down” as chairman, withdrew his funding whilst clinging onto everything that was worth anything whilst Del Boy Corney kept our heads above water by hook or by crook

He then swooped in to claim the only thing capable of making the club money and acts like the white knight at doing it 

Hes a cunt 

As are the other two “Amigos” 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived