I see Torquay have opened ticket sales finally for the season opener….BUT not for away fans so we are presumably stuffed until this supposed takeover goes through!

If it doesn’t happen, or at least not before the start of the season then really no idea what the arrangements will be for Latics fans. Surely it could have been arranged with Torquay to sell tickets to us and hold the money pending the takeover.

Can you think of any other industry that treats its most loyal customers with this much contempt?

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

I see Torquay have opened ticket sales finally for the season opener….BUT not for away fans so we are presumably stuffed until this supposed takeover goes through!

If it doesn’t happen, or at least not before the start of the season then really no idea what the arrangements will be for Latics fans. Surely it could have been arranged with Torquay to sell tickets to us and hold the money pending the takeover.

Can you think of any other industry that treats its most loyal customers with this much contempt?

Away Fans Tickets here I think  . The  Wollens Terrace is marked as Away end.

https://www.venuetoolbox.com/torquayUnited/asp/selectSeat.asp?action=selectConcessionType&eventID={F2330863-CC59-4294-83E1-EC6BF9428F3C}&areaID={794A6412-ECE5-4318-9F37-308D22835193}&justAdded=&socialBubbleNumberOfSeats=0&linkedSeats=&=&carParkID={6F9619FF-8B86-D011-B42D-00C04FC964FF}&ticketTypeID={710ECAAE-6A1A-4151-B5F8-C1E570D3C61C}&layoutID={23CC08ED-1AD6-4764-BDA4-D130A7055653}&packageID={6F9619FF-8B86-D011-B42D-00C04FC964FF}&homeArea=away&justAdded=&justRedirected=

50 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Tickets on sale but no coach travel and sales only online via Torquay themselves: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2022/july/22072022-torquay-ticket-news/

Surely several coaches can be sourced from somewhere to help fans get to the fixture, enough wanting to go and plenty people waiting on the club for getting there, be a shame if a couple of hundred missed out for not being able to get there, tickets reasonably priced as well.

4 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

And, just like that, they go on sale.

Could you do two more of these posts please - one for the takeover, one for 2 decent strikers  😀

26 minutes ago, Canada_latic said:

Bought my ticket. Looking forward to it. First time seeing them live since 2007. Looking forward to being part of the awesome away following. 

You do know it's Torquay in Devon, don't you and not Torquay in Saskatchewan??:peepwall:

7 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

yeah its so difficult to pay cash on the day l cant believe they are treating us like this 😜

13 minutes ago, blaggard said:

Greetings- Torquay fan here (although exiled far, far away). 

Welcome to the National League! You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

As much as I know it's bloody horrible to have to be in this division, I'm hoping you'll be able to enjoy yourselves. Over the past few seasons it has got increasingly competitive, to that point that it's arguably as good as League 2 (as evidenced by promoted teams generally doing pretty well, and relegated teams not dominating). You've also done well to avoid both Dover Athletic and King's Lynn, two horrible horrible clubs that I don't think anybody is too sad to see the back of.

What can you expect? Well - Wrexham will undoubtedly be the favourites this year. They and Stockport were the ones with the bucketloads of cash last season, and with Stockport promoted, it looks like Wrexham have it all to themselves. But hey, this is Wrexham, and they generally find a way to screw things up, often in a highly unusual and amusing way. Other sides splashing a bit of cash (as ever) are Notts County and Chesterfield, the latter of whom were arguably cruising until their main striker Tshimanga broke his leg in...I dunno, January or February. Without the two teams I mentioned before, it seems unlikely that there will be a divisional whipping boy, although if I was a Gateshead fan I'd be concerned given that their potent strike partnership will both be playing for Notts County this season. 

But it'll be fun. And I'm sure there are worse ways to start the season than a trip in early August to sunny Devon. The ticketing situation at Plainmoor right now is baffling, although it is at least better than the beginning of last season, when they wouldn't allow any on-the-day sales. Plainmoor is a throwback in many ways, nestled in amongst residential streets. The current owner seems to have designs on the land for development, but until he has an actual plan for a replacement stadium the local council seem uncharacteristically firm with him. We don't need a new ground anyway, given that we finished 11th last season. If there was ever a point that we were seriously challenging for promotion to League 1, that's probably when it'd be needed, but until then, Plainmoor does exactly what's needed. 

Ah yes..11th last season. We were crap for the first 2 months of the season, to the extend that we started to look behind us at the relegation spots. Our recruitment had been terrible, although in mitigation we did only have 3 weeks after the playoff final (we don't talk about that too much; still hurts) before pre-season started. The goalkeeper we put on a 2 year contract turned out to be mince, so we had to re-recruit the backup keeper from the prior season. (he also hadn't been able to find a club, so it worked out ok). He then was our player of the season and got a move to League 1. After November, though, our form was at least equal to almost everybody in the division, and we were in with a shout of the playoffs until a 3 or 4 weeks before the end.

Now we're back with Mark Halstead who does not fill the fans with confidence despite doing ok in a couple of appearance at the tail-end of last season. 

It's been another off-season of high turnover; of our best 11, we lost;

• Goalkeeper (Cheltenham, League 1)
  • Best centre-half (Stockport)
  • Right-back (Barnet - he wanted to be closer to his family in London, which I spose is fair enough)
  • Central Midfielder (15 goals last season! went to Forest Green in L1, good for him)
  • Attacking Midfielder (Also Stockport)
  • Main striker (dropped a division, getting old) 

We also let go some of the panic incomings we did for most of the early part of last season; players who we hoped would do well but never really did. We've brought a lot of players in to replace them, and what that means is that we have a really young squad who honestly could be...anything. It's actually pretty exciting. And you know, also vaguely terrifying. It looks like we're going to being playing with a back 3 to include Dean Moxey, who's played in the Premier League and oozes class despite being...well, in the twilight of his career. We have a couple of really promising young players to play as wing backs, although I think the guy on the left side will miss the start of the season. We also seem to have plenty of midfielders, which would probably suit that system as it allows flexibility of 2 defensive midfielders if we want to keep it tight, or adding an extra creative player if necessary. I think our best player this season will be Brett McGavin, who we picked up from King's Lynn after their relegation. He's a hefty unit (actually, basically everybody we've signed is 6 foot plus, which'll make a nice change) with a foot like a traction engine - he'll score at least one worldie this season - and a good eye for a pass. We've also got a guy on loan from Cardiff who played a handful of games in the Championship who could be *anything*, as well as 3 mobile forwards (one of whom is a loanee from Stoke and looks like he'll be beating up everybody and their dad!). 

The yearly turnover of players is something that most clubs at this level have to deal with, but as I tend to be fairly optimistic about things I'm really looking forward. 

hoping Oldham can do well (with th usual caveat of 'not against us!') because there are a few teams in this division I actively dislike. (Notts County, mostly. It's childish, but there you go). I went to Boundary Park the last time we were in the 3rd tier (we lost, shockingly; got immediately relegated), but I had a good time there anyway.

(bloody hell, this rather got away from me. Sorry for the length)

Very informative - just confirms to me that it ain’t going to be easy to get out of thus division  😮

4 hours ago, blaggard said:

Greetings- Torquay fan here (although exiled far, far away). 

Welcome to the National League! You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

As much as I know it's bloody horrible to have to be in this division, I'm hoping you'll be able to enjoy yourselves. Over the past few seasons it has got increasingly competitive, to that point that it's arguably as good as League 2 (as evidenced by promoted teams generally doing pretty well, and relegated teams not dominating). You've also done well to avoid both Dover Athletic and King's Lynn, two horrible horrible clubs that I don't think anybody is too sad to see the back of.

What can you expect? Well - Wrexham will undoubtedly be the favourites this year. They and Stockport were the ones with the bucketloads of cash last season, and with Stockport promoted, it looks like Wrexham have it all to themselves. But hey, this is Wrexham, and they generally find a way to screw things up, often in a highly unusual and amusing way. Other sides splashing a bit of cash (as ever) are Notts County and Chesterfield, the latter of whom were arguably cruising until their main striker Tshimanga broke his leg in...I dunno, January or February. Without the two teams I mentioned before, it seems unlikely that there will be a divisional whipping boy, although if I was a Gateshead fan I'd be concerned given that their potent strike partnership will both be playing for Notts County this season. 

But it'll be fun. And I'm sure there are worse ways to start the season than a trip in early August to sunny Devon. The ticketing situation at Plainmoor right now is baffling, although it is at least better than the beginning of last season, when they wouldn't allow any on-the-day sales. Plainmoor is a throwback in many ways, nestled in amongst residential streets. The current owner seems to have designs on the land for development, but until he has an actual plan for a replacement stadium the local council seem uncharacteristically firm with him. We don't need a new ground anyway, given that we finished 11th last season. If there was ever a point that we were seriously challenging for promotion to League 1, that's probably when it'd be needed, but until then, Plainmoor does exactly what's needed. 

Ah yes..11th last season. We were crap for the first 2 months of the season, to the extend that we started to look behind us at the relegation spots. Our recruitment had been terrible, although in mitigation we did only have 3 weeks after the playoff final (we don't talk about that too much; still hurts) before pre-season started. The goalkeeper we put on a 2 year contract turned out to be mince, so we had to re-recruit the backup keeper from the prior season. (he also hadn't been able to find a club, so it worked out ok). He then was our player of the season and got a move to League 1. After November, though, our form was at least equal to almost everybody in the division, and we were in with a shout of the playoffs until a 3 or 4 weeks before the end.

Now we're back with Mark Halstead who does not fill the fans with confidence despite doing ok in a couple of appearance at the tail-end of last season. 

It's been another off-season of high turnover; of our best 11, we lost;

• Goalkeeper (Cheltenham, League 1)
  • Best centre-half (Stockport)
  • Right-back (Barnet - he wanted to be closer to his family in London, which I spose is fair enough)
  • Central Midfielder (15 goals last season! went to Forest Green in L1, good for him)
  • Attacking Midfielder (Also Stockport)
  • Main striker (dropped a division, getting old) 

We also let go some of the panic incomings we did for most of the early part of last season; players who we hoped would do well but never really did. We've brought a lot of players in to replace them, and what that means is that we have a really young squad who honestly could be...anything. It's actually pretty exciting. And you know, also vaguely terrifying. It looks like we're going to being playing with a back 3 to include Dean Moxey, who's played in the Premier League and oozes class despite being...well, in the twilight of his career. We have a couple of really promising young players to play as wing backs, although I think the guy on the left side will miss the start of the season. We also seem to have plenty of midfielders, which would probably suit that system as it allows flexibility of 2 defensive midfielders if we want to keep it tight, or adding an extra creative player if necessary. I think our best player this season will be Brett McGavin, who we picked up from King's Lynn after their relegation. He's a hefty unit (actually, basically everybody we've signed is 6 foot plus, which'll make a nice change) with a foot like a traction engine - he'll score at least one worldie this season - and a good eye for a pass. We've also got a guy on loan from Cardiff who played a handful of games in the Championship who could be *anything*, as well as 3 mobile forwards (one of whom is a loanee from Stoke and looks like he'll be beating up everybody and their dad!). 

The yearly turnover of players is something that most clubs at this level have to deal with, but as I tend to be fairly optimistic about things I'm really looking forward. 

hoping Oldham can do well (with th usual caveat of 'not against us!') because there are a few teams in this division I actively dislike. (Notts County, mostly. It's childish, but there you go). I went to Boundary Park the last time we were in the 3rd tier (we lost, shockingly; got immediately relegated), but I had a good time there anyway.

(bloody hell, this rather got away from me. Sorry for the length)

Nice one Blaggard, thanks for the background and great to see the same passion we have for our club….and the same realism!

We also have absolutely no idea what to expect this season…not least due to our precarious financial and ownership situation…what we can promise is great away support and 25 years of pent up frustration that hasn’t yet killed our faith or hope…IF we get the promised new owners and IF we get off to a decent start it could be fun 

See you in a couple of weeks and good luck for the season

On 7/22/2022 at 7:54 PM, TheBigDog said:

Very informative - just confirms to me that it ain’t going to be easy to get out of thus division  😮

Oh it might be quite easy judging on pre season performances! Just maybe not in the direction you were meaning!

Archived