MATCH: vs Torquay United (A) 06/08/22

20 minutes ago, Simpo said:

Hope Vaughan gets a game against Dorking with no Gardner.

No chance Shez will be cautious and play McGahey with  Sheron and Cooper in midfield as defensive midfielders.

Stobbs is first on the team sheet then Hope, which nobody understands but the manager 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

827 away fans fuckoff 

people still believe clubs don't fiddle figures

'it just looks more bc ppl were stood up'

😂😂😂😂😂

It's possible some booked in the home stands online.

Just got back to the hotel and more than pleased with a point, we didn't go for a point, had the majority of the better moments and could of still nicked it with 10 men on the pitch.

Norman had a very good game, one outstanding save that Leutwiler would of watched in to the bottom corner and commanded his area very well, can we stop all the shite about the better keeper being on the bench because he's much better than Leutwiler. 

Defensively Hogan was immense, reads the game very well and didn't put a foot wrong, Clarke didn't have his best game but was solid enough, same for Angol who was solid but not spectacular, Sheron offered a bit of quality and balance to the team, played very well and plugged the gap in midfield when Gardner was sent of and McGahey came on, thought McGahey was very good in his little cameo and put himself about to good effect.

Midfield, Gardner was head and shoulders above any player on the pitch, should of been subbed prior to being sent off but it was a tough one given he looked like he could win the game for us, Cooper was solid but frustrating at times got in to great positions but was almost scared to have a shot, handy bastard though and I think the fans will like him, Tollit was frustrating and it didn't quite go for him today, obvious quality on the ball but lacked composure in the final third, I think he'll get better, now I'm not Stobbs biggest fan but I'm going to say fair play to the lad, that's the most positive and direct I've seen him today he faded a bit late on but looks a different player running at defenders, his crossing at times let him down but fair play for the more positive approach.

Hope and Porter looked an handful up top, Hope particularly put some graft in and Porter provides that bit of quality, some of the build up play was decent but we still lack that clinical striker. Fondop bullied them when he came on and was really unlucky not score, put himself about and was really up for it, Junior didn't have much time to do anything but looked lively.

All in all a good point, we were the slightly better team but I still think we are a player or two short, fitness looked good. Referee wasn't the best but that's going to be a feature week in week out I feel. Be tempted to start with Fondop next week but not sure who you'd drop him in favour of.

Onwards and upwards, one unbeaten.

Oh and the 5 sub rule is bollocks, Harry Vaughan must wonder what he has to do just to get in a matchday squad, feel for the lad if I'm honest and he needs to be playing football, if he's not making a 16 man squad he needs to go out on loan to get some game time.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

827 away fans fuckoff 

people still believe clubs don't fiddle figures

'it just looks more bc ppl were stood up'

😂😂😂😂😂

When official Latics says they sold over 1000 you have too take it as correct!!

I listened to a rather biased Torquay fc radio channel and their commentator said the away end, which caters for 1,050 was bursting and on top of that there were nearly 200 in the seats, so yes, it was probably bollocks!!

Happy with that as we try and build a side that wins more than it loses. Be good for confidence. I think we are better defensively than going forward so hoping shez can bring in a couple of creative players as we will need it to win games 

Wasn't the worst opening game I've ever seen. I think we're solid with a good spine but lack creativity. Thought Gardner was the best player on the pitch until his (totally avoidable) red, he'll be excellent at this level. Hogan's reading of the game is excellent, Norman commanded his area and made at least one excellent save. We looked a bigger threat with Fondop on but I'd like a nippy number 9 up there next to him

Stobbs is poor, unfortunately. Really hope we're not stuck with him as first choice.

The attendance announcement was laughable. There was at least a 1000 there.

Edit: excuse my over use of the word excellent, clearly I need a thesaurus 

I found that a hard watch, worryingly we looked right at home in the National League with very little quality, no pace up front and set up to be hard to beat which has become a Shez trademark in recent years 

Too early to judge obviously and perhaps Torquay will be the best team we play…but I suspect they will be mid table and so will we

1.) On another day we'd have won that, but they could say the same. Fondop narrowly missed snap shots twice and Hope really should have scored in the first half, plus a few goalmouth scrambles and they hit the bar too.

2.) Think we will see the first substitution on a regular basis this season. Their defence couldn't handle Fondop when he came on and struggled with Porter too.

3.) Not sure how there was only 3 minutes of added time at the end, I felt 5 may have been short changing it. Shame really as Moxey had pulled up 30 seconds before the final whistle and their #5 was off with a concussion having used their 3 subs so it would have been 9.5v10. #5 looked very groggy very quickly and their physio took 1 look at him and immediately signalled for help, never a good sign, but as he walked off probably not that bad.

4.) Gardner ran the show and I thought a lot of other players, especially Sheron, Hogan and Cooper showed their worth. Not sure Gardner actually touched their player for his 2nd yellow but thems the breaks.

5.) Whichever visiting poster highlighted how bad the refs are in the National League got it spot on. Very inconsistent, and some baffling decisions. One FK against Clarke for being jumped on springs to mind. Not sure about the penalty shout, but in fairness to the referee that was one for the linesman. Think they could have had more booked than they did but hey ho.

All in all that might be a very good point given Torquay are shorter odds than us for some positive season outcomes.

Plus couldn't have wished for a better day by the seaside.

4 hours ago, Andyt84 said:

It said on the Latics Facebook page over 1000 travelling to Torquay so how the hell can it be 827

Congratulations to Oldham's noisy supporters :) Your attendance must have been at least around 1300 being very vocal and most probably the best that I 've even seen in the 4 1/2 years that I've lived in Torquay and supported them Me being a BORO fan :) Great support for your team :) Hope that you're enjoying the English Riviera and the hot weather :) There's plenty to do down here GL

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Many have said they don't know when I'm serious or not, comes in very handy when I play cards.😑

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again"

6 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Wasn't the worst opening game I've ever seen. I think we're solid with a good spine but lack creativity. Thought Gardner was the best player on the pitch until his (totally avoidable) red, he'll be excellent at this level. Hogan's reading of the game is excellent, Norman commanded his area and made at least one excellent save. We looked a bigger threat with Fondop on but I'd like a nippy number 9 up there next to him

Stobbs is poor, unfortunately. Really hope we're not stuck with him as first choice.

The attendance announcement was laughable. There was at least a 1000 there.

Edit: excuse my over use of the word excellent, clearly I need a thesaurus 

When you start using it in the same sentence with Stobbs in it, then I would be worried.

11 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Their unbiased commentators disagreed

Quite, I've been one of Stobbs biggest critics but yesterday he had his best game for some time and it was good to see, he was a constant outlet on the right, played with a positive mindset and made a decent contribution.

I agree with a lot of what @yarddog73 has said there. It was a decent performance, better than what I was expecting after pre season reports. The team worked hard and looked largely organised apart from giving some early chances. After that they settled down and didn’t give much away. 

If we could add some pace and a bit more creativity going forward we’d having the makings of a good team at this level. Hope was a nuisance rather than a threat and Porter got in decent areas but the final ball to him was lacking. 

Gardner’s 2nd yellow was idiotic given about 6 players had already had a yellow for a similar offence. 

Surprised Burgess didn’t get a run out prior to the red. Would have been good to see whether he could have made the difference. 

All in all, better than I was expecting and must have sounded worse on commentary than it actually was. Torquay were a decent team and I’d argue we were just about the better team on the day. 

Fans… 👏👏

Shez struggled last time he was in this league with Chesterfield and has obviously decided that big tall physical team is the way to go.

Its criminal really though as it means Vaughan won’t get a sniff especially away from home. 

Vaughan and Burgess are our creative players but I’m not sure the team is balanced enough to get them into the side

32 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Shez struggled last time he was in this league with Chesterfield and has obviously decided that big tall physical team is the way to go.

Its criminal really though as it means Vaughan won’t get a sniff especially away from home. 

Vaughan and Burgess are our creative players but I’m not sure the team is balanced enough to get them into the side

A Notts County supporting mate says that they have been trying to get out of the league playing passing football and have got nowhere. He thinks big and physical is the way forward. 

37 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

It would be criminal to play Vaughan for the sake of it, when he might not be cut out for football at this level.  I'll take results over style every day of the week an twice on Sunday at the moment.

Vaughan's shown signs of being a decent player, but I still wouldn't suggest he's going to be a defining factor in the team's success.

Unfortunately, he might be a bit of a luxury.  If Burnley or whoever came knocking again, I'd definitely be inclined to take the bid.  Best move all round, I think..

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2022/august/06082022-sheridan-post-torquay-a/

Allowing for Sheridan having to put a positive spin on the game, his post match comments are a fair assessment of the performance yesterday.

Given that this was the first competitive game of the season in very hot conditions, we should make allowances for what was an average display - understandably many players still look short of match fitness.

However, there was a good shape to the team and after a couple of early scares, (Torquay hitting the bar and drawing a good save from Norman), we dealt with their long throw and aerial threat comfortably.
The match stats show that we had ten attempts with four on target (to Torquay’s six & two)

Tollit had five of those attempts and if he can improve his striking of the ball, he will get a few this season. We had other chances to score through Hope and Porter and maybe should have won the game. 

Standout players for us were Hogan, Stobbs & Norman with good cameos from Fondop and McGahey at the end.

Gardner was very good for the first hour or so but his rash tackling could have cost us more dearly.

Hopefully the players touch and decision making will improve as the season progresses. This should the lead to more creative, and ultimately, winning play. The addition of one or two good loanees is vital.

And a final shout out to the travelling fans. It was the Oldham boys, making all the noise 👍

Archived