Signing & Player Rumours

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, penrhyn said:

What we have are a few people who have periodically had a few bursts of scoring that gives them a 1 in 4 record . We need at least 1 player  with a 1 in 2 record . Agree about the midfield and sure it is also a priority.

Jesus, is there many out there who are 1 in 2 at this level and attainable? We've a few in this squad who can score. If Fondop, Hope, Tollet and most importantly Rooney played in the right positions they'll score goals.

I'd personally have Rooney off Fondop with Hope and Tollet wide. Our 4 goalscoring threats all on the park and in the most forward positions. 

Like many, i think the most vital area to look at are the two centre mids playing behind these 4. Need 1 in at least.

52 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Jesus, is there many out there who are 1 in 2 at this level and attainable? We've a few in this squad who can score. If Fondop, Hope, Tollet and most importantly Rooney played in the right positions they'll score goals.

I'd personally have Rooney off Fondop with Hope and Tollet wide. Our 4 goalscoring threats all on the park and in the most forward positions. 

Like many, i think the most vital area to look at are the two centre mids playing behind these 4. Need 1 in at least.

Jesus. We agree

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He signed one of these midfielders last week, didn't he...?

Our link up play from defence through to the strikers has been non existent and IMO, an 18 yr old kid, even with massive potential, by himself, is not the type of player we need.

A Chris McCann type with bags of experience, who can put his foot on the ball, comfortably hold on to it and dictate the play, is really what we desperately need in this league.

We haven’t dominated possession or controlled the midfield at all in any of the games we’ve played this season and until we do, I don’t think we’ll be picking up many points.

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He signed one of these midfielders last week, didn't he...?

Not sure he's the one to be shielding and winning the ball back? We've too many players so it may be a case of playing Cooper, Maynard and Sheron and seeing who is the best of a bad bunch?

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/23125519.oldham-athletic-market-new-signings/

He says he will never stop wanting to bring in new players, surely at some point we need to think about getting some out even it means paying them up. He's no chance of keeping them happy and I remember a former manager, it might have been Wellens or Dino saying something about training was impossible because we had too many players on the training ground. I think we should maybe add 1 or 2 more if they are much better than what we have got and in the right positions but then he needs to get improvement out of the squad before being allowed anymore in. Feels a bit like if he throws enough mud some will stick.

I was told Smith could barely run when he came off the bench for Salford the other week. He's no miss.

In terms of squad numbers we've got a B team structure in place so training won't be a massive issue. The issue is the finances and that's something the board think they can swallow between now and the summer. We can't not improve the side in fear of upsetting some of the binmen we've accidentally signed. Who cares if Windass is not happy he's not on the bench?

3 minutes ago, Clifford said:

I was told Smith could barely run when he came off the bench for Salford the other week. He's no miss.

In terms of squad numbers we've got a B team structure in place so training won't be a massive issue. The issue is the finances and that's something the board think they can swallow between now and the summer. We can't not improve the side in fear of upsetting some of the binmen we've accidentally signed. Who cares if Windass is not happy he's not on the bench?

Trying to sign Smith tells me he's not having Fondop and will probably try and get him gone in Jan...

Does every other club sign (or try to) as many former players as us?

Connor Brown and Matt Smith have been mentioned to go with the three already here, and it's like this all the time. We even re-sign players who were shit the first time round.

10 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Smith would have got on the end of many of the crosses I’ve seen fly wastefully across the box this season. I kind of agree with Unsworth though regarding being held to ransom with wages etc

How many players do we need who can't run? Hogan, Clarke, Gardner, Rooney and then add Smith as well? 

1 minute ago, Clifford said:

How many players do we need who can't run? Hogan, Clarke, Gardner, Rooney and then add Smith as well? 

That’s true, although I think Smith is a bit different where he has that eye for goal,  and can get above anyone for a header. Who knows, maybe I’m harking back to the past too much 

23 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Now that would have been decent 

Would have been no use if he is stood on the halfway line with the rest of his teammates camped in our own third of the pitch.

If we sign a Matt Smith type player you firstly need to get him the service and secondly you need players around him to get the knockdowns. Do that and he's hugely effective.

I'm assuming Salford were prepared to pay up a percentage of his contract for this to happen but even so i'm led to believe he's on north of £250k having dropped down from the Championship so it's hardly surprising we've not managed to do a deal. Would we not be better possibly paying a transfer fee for some young up and coming talent from the non-leagues who may well prove to be a sellable asset in the future? Personally i'm glad the board has blocked this deal because there would certainly be no resale value on Smith.

5 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’ve just looked on his stats and he’s only scored 9 for us 62 appearances. How the memory clouds things… 

He was absolutely crap for 18 months, but from Jan 13-May 13 he was brilliant and earned the club up to £1 million pounds in FA Cup money and TV revenue and was a huge part in keeping us in League One that season...

57 minutes ago, Clifford said:

The club is bringing in plenty of  loaness, but hardly any of the so called B team players are farmed it.  Wonder why?

5 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’ve just looked on his stats and he’s only scored 9 for us 62 appearances. How the memory clouds things… 

Stats don't tell everything.

He was moderate for us early doors (many on here didn't rate him!) and wasn't starting much, but improved as he played more often.

AS we've no one who can put a decent cross in I doubt he would have much impact, given the cost involved.

29 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I'm assuming Salford were prepared to pay up a percentage of his contract for this to happen but even so i'm led to believe he's on north of £250k having dropped down from the Championship so it's hardly surprising we've not managed to do a deal. Would we not be better possibly paying a transfer fee for some young up and coming talent from the non-leagues who may well prove to be a sellable asset in the future? Personally i'm glad the board has blocked this deal because there would certainly be no resale value on Smith.

Peterborough did that well.

Maybe sign their Chief Scout.

Archived