BPAS PODCAST: 26th Sept '22, S3E8: Bobbins at Bromley

Just over 400 Latics supporters turned up to watch their team fail to turn up at Bromley on Saturday - there's no mistaking that Mr Unsworth has a lot of work to do with the current squad - but surely we all should all still be happy...right?!

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic

“Who needs Cantona when we’ve got Fred the Frog!” was the song at West Ham (just to be pedantic!)

Was talking about this game recently - Lost 2-0, Gary Walsh in goal for us, Ian Olney got his career ending injury and the stewards seemed to be throwing out Latics fans right left and centre for nothing..

Interesting point about Preston needing to make up £12 million to survive in the Championship. Does this mean Barry was right when he said we couldn’t afford promotion from League One??

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Interesting point about Preston needing to make up £12 million to survive in the Championship. Does this mean Barry was right when he said we couldn’t afford promotion from League One??

.....it doesn't seem to causing Luton any problems. It depends how you do it......

Good listen. Matt's rant about the structural inequities in football was music to my ears. He's 100% right, in my opinion.

Which brings me on to Preston (spit) and the Hemming' family statement. I think it was a pretty good statement in that it spelled out a few realities for the hard of thinking among their fan base (and we all have them, I'd like a few of ours to read it).  

All that said - their fans do have some grounds for complaint, I feel. The Hemmings family clearly has to dig deep to keep the club afloat. But I think it is also true to say that they are having to dig deeper than they should because of some very poor managerial policies. Nobody forces them to spend 196% of turnover on wages, for example. Their spend on all the support infrastructure needed for growth / progress seems very, very modest as well.  I refuse to believe  that the "controlling mind" (Risdale) is quite the football guru that the owners seem to think he is. So they could and should do better than merely surviving. Not least became one season soon, they might not survive. Then life will change.

I think their dilemma is one that my own club faces, to at least some extent. We are of a similar size to PNE, have an owner who is wealthy but doesn't have bottomless pockets and find ourselves in a Division where we are small fry next to some of the others. Where I think we differ currently is that we ARE looking to  invest in things like the academy, a development squad, and have planning permission for a new training ground and a new East Stand. But unless and until we get financial reform in the game it does all feel a bit like the labours of Sisyphus.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's episode, hopefully entitled "Wrexham Rumbled". 

59 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Good listen. Matt's rant about the structural inequities in football was music to my ears. He's 100% right, in my opinion.

Which brings me on to Preston (spit) and the Hemming' family statement. I think it was a pretty good statement in that it spelled out a few realities for the hard of thinking among their fan base (and we all have them, I'd like a few of ours to read it).  

All that said - their fans do have some grounds for complaint, I feel. The Hemmings family clearly has to dig deep to keep the club afloat. But I think it is also true to say that they are having to dig deeper than they should because of some very poor managerial policies. Nobody forces them to spend 196% of turnover on wages, for example. Their spend on all the support infrastructure needed for growth / progress seems very, very modest as well.  I refuse to believe  that the "controlling mind" (Risdale) is quite the football guru that the owners seem to think he is. So they could and should do better than merely surviving. Not least became one season soon, they might not survive. Then life will change.

I think their dilemma is one that my own club faces, to at least some extent. We are of a similar size to PNE, have an owner who is wealthy but doesn't have bottomless pockets and find ourselves in a Division where we are small fry next to some of the others. Where I think we differ currently is that we ARE looking to  invest in things like the academy, a development squad, and have planning permission for a new training ground and a new East Stand. But unless and until we get financial reform in the game it does all feel a bit like the labours of Sisyphus.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to next week's episode, hopefully entitled "Wrexham Rumbled". 

Labour's of Sisyphus? Must be a different level of education in Blackpool schools. 

We learnt more about syphilis. 

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

Sisyphus has had it easy since the slope towards the Chaddy End was much reduced for the plastic pitch.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived