BPAS PODCAST: 28th Nov '22, S3:E17: Oldham & England: The Dream Ticket

A winter World Cup is weird but is now in full swing and provided us with a full weekend of football including England's less than impressive display against USA on Friday. We discuss England, the World Cup and Latics with former OAFC employee Sam Rosbottom.

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

was good that. Sam is one of those people you hear or see or read about at the club that you hear/see/read and just know they will be there for about three years then a decade later they will be a success somewhere.

can l ask, as you got there just after lunch, do you know what the players do after lunch? do they train again? do they have video analysis etc or do they go home? does the club sometimes give them a light lunch and then go for another full training session?

looking forward to wednesdays Q&A 

Those two upcoming home games really are very important, aren't they? because I don't see you getting a lot from Solihull, Boreham Wood and two games with Notts County.

I was interested in the comments about the WC and England. I see the latter as a microcosm of the former, to be honest ; overhyped and not nearly as good as they are made out to be.  They should win the group and get a reasonable draw in the last 16, but if they do meet France in the quarters I think that will be that. On Foden - I think Southgate is planning for the possibility of seven games and he possibly sees the lad as a big asset for the knockout stage. 

I don't think the tournament has been great though. I dutifully put games on to watch, and often find myself reading the newspaper after twenty minutes or so. I expect it to be won by one of the most average Brazil teams I have ever seen, simply because they are a bit less average than the sea of mediocrity around them.

8 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Those two upcoming home games really are very important, aren't they? because I don't see you getting a lot from Solihull, Boreham Wood and two games with Notts County.

I was interested in the comments about the WC and England. I see the latter as a microcosm of the former, to be honest ; overhyped and not nearly as good as they are made out to be.  They should win the group and get a reasonable draw in the last 16, but if they do meet France in the quarters I think that will be that. On Foden - I think Southgate is planning for the possibility of seven games and he possibly sees the lad as a big asset for the knockout stage. 

I don't think the tournament has been great though. I dutifully put games on to watch, and often find myself reading the newspaper after twenty minutes or so. I expect it to be won by one of the most average Brazil teams I have ever seen, simply because they are a bit less average than the sea of mediocrity around them.

todays efforts were much improved on previous days, that 3-3 was a great match

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

todays efforts were much improved on previous days, that 3-3 was a great match

Exciting enough, yes. But the quality was poor and the defending was shocking. Ditto the Ghana game. 

These tournaments always improve once survival is on the line. I just don't know why we have to waste a week before it happens. They are planning to have 48 teams next time....

42 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Exciting enough, yes. But the quality was poor and the defending was shocking. Ditto the Ghana game. 

These tournaments always improve once survival is on the line. I just don't know why we have to waste a week before it happens. They are planning to have 48 teams next time....

Where is the next world Cup? I suppose palms have been greased already. 

2 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

They are planning to have 48 teams next time....

lve lost interest in the prem and lm almost forcing myself thru this tourny but if it was 48 teams no way ld watch every match, as l have so far( except qatar). 

same applies if they do it every two years.

54 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Where is the next world Cup? I suppose palms have been greased already. 

It's being hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico.

I was surprised to read the other day that FIFA have elected to expand to 48 teams but haven't actually agreed a format yet. The two favourites are either :

• twelve groups of four ; or
  • sixteen groups of three (with two going through)

The first of these means that eight third placed teams would go through (so you would play seventy two games to get rid of just sixteen teams).  The second looks a lot like the format they used in the second phase in 1982 (I think, may have been 1986). I don't think that made for sparking entertainment, from memory.

Both these formats mean an extra knockout round of thirty two.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

I was surprised to read the other day that FIFA have elected to expand to 48 teams but haven't actually agreed a format yet. The two favourites are either :

The first of these means that eight third placed teams would go through (so you would play seventy two games to get rid of just sixteen teams).  The second looks a lot like the format they used in the second phase in 1982 (I think, may have been 1986). I don't think that made for sparking entertainment, from memory.

I'm all for changes to make things better but going to 48 teams is a bad call as was going to 24 teams for the Euros it's somewhat makes the opening rounds of fixtures sterile.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

That's ridiculous, it must be about 90,000 miles from Canada to Mexico. I have now decided not to watch another world cup. 

• Matt featured this topic

Probably get slaughtered but oh well. I love the podcast. It’s great. However, the phone in doesn’t work for me. It’s pretty much the same people talking the same bollox every week. A kid who should be in bed coming on every week  And why do you insist on giving that fantasist Ibby a platform ? Is it out of pity since come fly with me was cancelled ? 

27 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Probably get slaughtered but oh well. I love the podcast. It’s great. However, the phone in doesn’t work for me. It’s pretty much the same people talking the same bollox every week. A kid who should be in bed coming on every week  And why do you insist on giving that fantasist Ibby a platform ? Is it out of pity since come fly with me was cancelled ? 

The option is there for you to phone in yourself if you don't like the content, simplythemostimportantkick...

It'd be decent with some new callers. Agreed that it's too samey and although the young lad is enthusiastic, a weekly spot isn't ideal. An upturn in results would see it improve with something to talk about.

It's a reflection of what's on the pitch at the moment. Saying the same things week in week out.

its not on this week, it's the Q&A w Rhino so a two week gap between episodes and hopefully a corner turned could see a freshening of their potential pool.

the way you need to contact them might not help, altho that could just be my inner luddite getting all opposed to streamyards and microphones!!

l'm new to it so l like it, especially the Wheel of Wonder 😎.

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived