Who's next after Unsworth walks?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a thought if the Board feel that Unsworth isn't delivering the goods and their expensive investment may be looking a bit dicey

Might there be any mileage in swapping roles within the coaching squad? For example could Ebbrell get a better tune out of the players? It might just be something as basic as how the manager relates to his players and vice versa? 

I felt at the time of Steve Robinson, instead of just jettisoning him and his deputy Ian Barraclough that maybe a change of roles might have paid dividends. Both men had been manager/ deputy at OAFC and others and it might just have been worth a try before making wholesale expensive changes.  

Another thought was that maybe the players might prefer / relate to more vocal coaching at pitchside. I suspect that it is felt to be a bit old hat by modern coaching methodologies however I have witnessed previously just how some players relate to being shouted at throughout the game. 

I went to watch latics much heralded youth team at Curzon in the FA youth Cup several seasons ago.  Most of Curzon's team had previously been at Latics and released so presumably not fancied by our coaches.  Curzon had one coach who bawled instructions out to his players all the time and they responded in full, Latics had a team of coaches who seemingly offered no instructions from the line and the team lost their way and were deservedly beaten 3-2 on the night by a much less talented team.  Might be worth a go at more guidance to the team from the side? It seems to me that our lot might need some vocal coaching instead of managing their own game (particularly when results and performances aren't coming)?               

1 hour ago, unsworth blue said:

Just a thought if the Board feel that Unsworth isn't delivering the goods and their expensive investment may be looking a bit dicey

Might there be any mileage in swapping roles within the coaching squad? For example could Ebbrell get a better tune out of the players? It might just be something as basic as how the manager relates to his players and vice versa? 

I felt at the time of Steve Robinson, instead of just jettisoning him and his deputy Ian Barraclough that maybe a change of roles might have paid dividends. Both men had been manager/ deputy at OAFC and others and it might just have been worth a try before making wholesale expensive changes.  

Didn’t something like this happen between Wadsworth and Dowie? 

12 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Give Jeffers a chance, keep ebrell sack Dave. He brings nothing.

12 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Another thought was that maybe the players might prefer / relate to more vocal coaching at pitchside. I suspect that it is felt to be a bit old hat by modern coaching methodologies however I have witnessed previously just how some players relate to being shouted at throughout the game. 

I went to watch latics much heralded youth team at Curzon in the FA youth Cup several seasons ago.  Most of Curzon's team had previously been at Latics and released so presumably not fancied by our coaches.  Curzon had one coach who bawled instructions out to his players all the time and they responded in full, Latics had a team of coaches who seemingly offered no instructions from the line and the team lost their way and were deservedly beaten 3-2 on the night by a much less talented team.  Might be worth a go at more guidance to the team from the side? It seems to me that our lot might need some vocal coaching instead of managing their own game (particularly when results and performances aren't coming)?               

Very good point this.

Players at the levels we've found ourselves at these last 20 years DO have natural ability/athleticism - they'd never have become professional footballers otherwise - but, often, the reason they're down here is their inability to take on/follow instructions.

They really do need talking through everything incessantly.

Unsworth seems the type of former top flight player who doesn't get this. 

Dunn didn't, Roy Keane didn't..... 

23 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

Doesn't make a difference according to some!

Said after Solihull - the entire staff were just stood their inanimate as the Solihull manager was engaged in the game, was animated, and coached his players through the game.

I can't think of a highly regarded manager who just sits back and watches the action unfold during the game (will put that out there to be proven wrong..).

He should surely lead by example - if he wants a passionate, energised performance he should be passionate and energised himself!

7 hours ago, JoeP said:

Doesn't make a difference according to some!

Said after Solihull - the entire staff were just stood their inanimate as the Solihull manager was engaged in the game, was animated, and coached his players through the game.

I can't think of a highly regarded manager who just sits back and watches the action unfold during the game (will put that out there to be proven wrong..).

He should surely lead by example - if he wants a passionate, energised performance he should be passionate and energised himself!

Southgate. or was that what you meant by you cant think of anybody highly regarded? 😆 (l was in the stay vote)

l do get what you mean tho, only other l can think of is Deschamps or from history Paisley and l dont think any of them will come to us will they

Jeffers used to be at it all game when Fondop played, maybe they think this new squad is too good to coach? theyre wrong if they do, bc even top level players need it, especially on a pitch with a crowd, adrenaline, emotion and some shit cunt booting you every few minutes!!

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, diggleblue said:

Danny Cowley would get us promoted. Did well in our league and developed a good Lincoln team. Just been sacked by Portsmouth. Fuck Unsworth off.

No chance.

I once saw him, from about three yards away, have a full on fight on the touchline with our manager. Brave given our fella was built like a bull . I think Cowley was lucky it got broken up

Archived