Who's next after Unsworth walks?

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Yes we know, you’ve made the same point a hundred times….you needn’t keep repeating it!!

And yet it still doesn't seem to be sinking in with some people...

We're finishing 18th now, apparently...after winning 1 game in 14.

A further concern over the lengthy contract he's got is the fact that he's probably feeling no pressure at all. He knows we can't afford to sack him, so he'll probably just carry on with what he's doing safe in the knowledge that he'll either get a big pay-off or still be here next season.

What a mess.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, League one forever said:

Here he is. FFS. 😁

I honestly wish I didn’t have to 55, but  people like you can’t give me or anyone else with a similar view a reasoned argument for keeping him.  

Here’s my view for sacking him- just in case you missed it. 

He took over with new owners, who have given everything he wanted. 

He took over a club in 14th we’re now second bottom. 

He’s won 1 in 13.

We set up in every game not to lose. 

We hardly score. 

He publicly slated the players he inherited, and now publicly slate’s his own signings. 

He plays different formations, and the performance and result never changes. 

He’s been given fantastic backing on signings with no upturn in results. 

No matter which 11 of the 40 at the club start; the performance and therefore result never changes. Which means we’ve either got 40 shit players, or they’ve stopped listening. 

He talks nonsense in interviews- my favourite being that during the week everything is going well, and when we lose again- he’s not surprised. 

He hasn’t improved one player. 

We haven’t had one good 90 minutes. 

He buys players, and then plays them out of position. 

Those are off the top of my head, I could go on.

Your view has been - you’re ok with losing for a while yet, or in 12 months we’ll all look back and see we were being overly negative. The first one is bizarre, and the second is guesswork. 

If you want to keep him because you are hoping that stability will eventually pay off- fine. But hope isn’t enough is it. Otherwise he gets a completely free pass, where losing is irrelevant because we’re hoping he’ll eventually come good. Which of course is nonsensical because it’s based on nothing. 

So what are you currently watching that justifies your hope??? 

Sounds to me like someone has forgotten the 0-0 win at Maidstone...

18 hours ago, Midsblue said:

Can’t see the board paying off DU’s three year deal plus Ebbrell & Jeffers too.  Also can’t see the Royles admitting a mistake.  

I keep reading this and similar - paying off these cack useless lot would be a drop in the ocean compared to the £12m we're told the Rothwell's will ultimately put in.

And worth every penny if it sees us start next season in this league with a chance of promotion to the EFL rather than National League North which we'll be in if Unsworth doesn't go. 

And would be better spent than signing more of these non-league players we're again being linked with just weeks before the transfer window when we could then have a proper manager able to sign proper players from the EFL.....

17 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I keep reading this and similar - paying off these cack useless lot would be a drop in the ocean compared to the £12m we're told the Rothwell's will ultimately put in.

And worth every penny if it sees us start next season in this league with a chance of promotion to the EFL rather than National League North which we'll be in if Unsworth doesn't go. 

And would be better spent than signing more of these non-league players we're again being linked with just weeks before the transfer window when we could then have a proper manager able to sign proper players from the EFL.....

I'm dreading tomorrow night's result and a game-in-hand frittered away. 
He should go but he's not going to.
It's a mess.

I know we're a bit top heavy with coaching staff, but we need to bring in somebody who understands this level of football and knows the players, to work alongside David Unsworth. I honestly can't see him walking away in the near future, but our situation is now critical. An experienced number 2 could make the difference sooner rather than later. We are away to Boreham Wood this evening and I can't see any outcome other than defeat - that cannot be right for Oldham Athletic in the National League!

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I know this may sound obvious given the results- but do you think he has lost the dressing room? He has publicly slated a lot of them, and to me the performance say they don’t believe in him or his style of play. 

difficult to say I think: one thing is I just don’t think they get the tactics. His lack of coaching or touch line support is also odd and def not the norm at this level. I’d say he’s just out of tune with how players at this level work rather than dressing room lost. Although the players will see his record and likely not believe in him or his methods now. 

Just now, Careca9 said:

difficult to say I think: one thing is I just don’t think they get the tactics. His lack of coaching or touch line support is also odd and def not the norm at this level. I’d say he’s just out of tune with how players at this level work rather than dressing room lost. Although the players will see his record and likely not believe in him or his methods now. 

They're good points. I'm not sure anyone in any walk of life has ever run through brick walls for a manager that says publicly you lack quality and is liable to dig you out, equally publicly, if you make a mistake.

He's spent his career coaching in an environment where he's treated as demigod, largely unchallenged even when talking shite, probably surrounded himself with yes men and the result is a stubborn , self absorbed, egotistical coach with little experience of actually managing men in an unforgiving environment.

Ironically he'd probably fair better up the pyramid but has pitched himself in at level he knows nothing about, most managers in this League come across as mens men who know the time of day, Luke Garrard for instance knows this League inside out and is operating at the top end of it with no budget and crowds of 800.

Unsworth has probably criticised every man to a T in that dressing room but it is largely he who has put us in this predicament and it's difficult to see a way out for him given more and more signings haven't changed the result.

The criticism of the players whilst essentially absolving himself of blame is what irritates me the most. We've dropped from 14th to 22nd since he came in, and the performances are worse. That's on him, yet I'm yet to see him hold his hands up and say "yep, i got it wrong today". There's a real arrogance about him.

41 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

The criticism of the players whilst essentially absolving himself of blame is what irritates me the most. We've dropped from 14th to 22nd since he came in, and the performances are worse. That's on him, yet I'm yet to see him hold his hands up and say "yep, i got it wrong today". There's a real arrogance about him.

Sheridan never accepted any responsibility but nobody seemed to worry about it...

It’s been a disaster on the pitch since he came. 14 games and all we have to show for it is a 2-0 against Yeovil. The rest has been scraps for a point here and there, the odd “ we should have won that, we looked ok” but we lose, then the following week we lose again.  Tuesday night we played ok apparently, I didn’t go, only one team going to win it after we equalised, we lost again…

We are now effectively in a relegation scrap with Torquay next for a “six pointer “ . It’s awful.
I’ve willed him to do well, I feel for him but I honestly can’t bring myself to believe that a manager/management team with this record already will somehow make us successful.  

John Askey might seem the obvious choice though he is being linked with Buxton F.C..

My choice, though many would scoff at the idea, is Sol Campbell. He's had two managerial jobs and had the financial rug pulled from under his feet both times within weeks of his appointment. He still managed to keep Macclesfield in the league despite the players and himself often being unpaid. Southend was too much of a challenge but the mess that club was in has been evidenced by their subsequent decline. Observing from afar I was impressed by how he performed under such difficult circumstances. I believe he would do a very good job at a club that is now financially stable.

47 minutes ago, True Tic said:

It’s been a disaster on the pitch since he came. 14 games and all we have to show for it is a 2-0 against Yeovil. The rest has been scraps for a point here and there, the odd “ we should have won that, we looked ok” but we lose, then the following week we lose again.  Tuesday night we played ok apparently, I didn’t go, only one team going to win it after we equalised, we lost again…

We are now effectively in a relegation scrap with Torquay next for a “six pointer “ . It’s awful.
I’ve willed him to do well, I feel for him but I honestly can’t bring myself to believe that a manager/management team with this record already will somehow make us successful.  

Yep hard to see it changing now considering he’s been reluctant to change tactics. The longer it goes the more people including the players lose faith in their abilities 

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

Yep hard to see it changing now considering he’s been reluctant to change tactics. The longer it goes the more people including the players lose faith in their abilities 

Does he have any abilities? That’s unfair, blaming everyone but himself he’s good at that no question. 

1 hour ago, ROKERITE said:

John Askey might seem the obvious choice though he is being linked with Buxton F.C..

My choice, though many would scoff at the idea, is Sol Campbell. He's had two managerial jobs and had the financial rug pulled from under his feet both times within weeks of his appointment. He still managed to keep Macclesfield in the league despite the players and himself often being unpaid. Southend was too much of a challenge but the mess that club was in has been evidenced by their subsequent decline. Observing from afar I was impressed by how he performed under such difficult circumstances. I believe he would do a very good job at a club that is now financially stable.

Never in a million years

1 hour ago, ROKERITE said:

Hi Sol!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived