MATCH: Notts County (H) 01/01/23

19 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

So back to the Notts county thread. Just watched what their pundits thought of the game. And the were very complementary of our tactics. And thinking about it, it was the first time this season that we didn't get passed to death in midfield. 

Yes, they had lots of the ball, but that was mostly in their own half. In my opinion the tactics for that match were spot on.

We played like I expect an away team to play when they come here 2 banks of 4 in a tight unit. That was the plan given to them and credit to the players they carried out the managers instructions.

However I'd like to think that when teams come here it should be them playing for a draw including the likes of Notts County who are a year or 2 ahead of us interms of their rehabilitation to becominga football league club again, but if you look at their playing budget its probably not much bigger than ours if it is at all.

We will now enter a run of fixtures against teams who are beatable and at home atleast the onus will be on us to take the game to the opposition. We have for the first time in a while I believe a good selection of forwards who are capable of scoring should the opportunity arise. We need to take control of those games and create chances for them.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

So back to the Notts county thread. Just watched what their pundits thought of the game. And the were very complementary of our tactics. And thinking about it, it was the first time this season that we didn't get passed to death in midfield. 

Yes, they had lots of the ball, but that was mostly in their own half. In my opinion the tactics for that match were spot on.

Think I was at a different game…

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

We played like I expect an away team to play when they come here 2 banks of 4 in a tight unit. That was the plan given to them and credit to the players they carried out the managers instructions.

However I'd like to think that when teams come here it should be them playing for a draw including the likes of Notts County who are a year or 2 ahead of us interms of their rehabilitation to becominga football league club again, but if you look at their playing budget its probably not much bigger than ours if it is at all.

We will now enter a run of fixtures against teams who are beatable and at home atleast the onus will be on us to take the game to the opposition. We have for the first time in a while I believe a good selection of forwards who are capable of scoring should the opportunity arise. We need to take control of those games and create chances for them.

A plus in this respect for me was Nuttall winning so much in the air. I can see second balls being picked up by the likes of Tollit, Abraham and Reid being productive. We just need to show that attacking mindset from an attacking formation. 

21 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I've never understood this

4 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I've never understood this

Statistically teams win more at home than they do away home advantage counts for alot in football.

5 hours ago, Magic Mikey said:

A plus in this respect for me was Nuttall winning so much in the air. I can see second balls being picked up by the likes of Tollit, Abraham and Reid being productive. We just need to show that attacking mindset from an attacking formation. 

Just as if not more importantly in his first 2 appearances against the side top of the table in 2 games where he has been starved of opportunities he's bagged 2 goals. The lad can finish get him the chances and he will score.

I like Fondop but Nuttall is definitely an upgrade.

TBH, I thought he was pretty poor on the deck but much better in the air….his one on one in the 1st half should have resulted in a goal but he didn’t even manage to get a shot away.

Having said that a goal a game will do for me!!😆😆

42 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

TBH, I thought he was pretty poor on the deck but much better in the air….his one on one in the 1st half should have resulted in a goal but he didn’t even manage to get a shot away.

Having said that a goal a game will do for me!!😆😆

Glad someone else said it. I thought he was terrible until about the 75th minute. But two games and two goals is not to be sniffed at and he showed in the away game at Notts (as well as when Scunthorpe played here) that he can finish chances if he gets them...

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Statistically teams win more at home than they do away home advantage counts for a lot in football.

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Self fulfilling when teams set up more cautiously away.

8 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Agreed. Also interesting how the stats changed during lockdown/no fans. 

I also wonder as to how much influence/pressure the home fans can exert on the match officials …🤔

Maybe VAR has reduced the impact?

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived