MATCH: Notts County (H) 01/01/23

A decent point on paper, but blimey Notts helped us out.  Two absolute gifts of goals.  What was our strategy to score??

An up-turn in effort, but I think that today is as good as you can get with Unsworth's approach.  

The absolute space we gave the wide-players (wide-players?  In this day and age??) was an absolute joke.  It's as if we forgot they're there.  They could cross in at will and our only hope was either Clarke or Hogan got to the ball before their attacker.

No pressing either - it was mainly a game of Notts knocking it about.

Fair play to the players - they did the best they could with the tactical restrictions they had.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peck and Chapman were passengers today. I reckon Peck might be a decent player if we tried to pass the ball and actually get on the ball. But if we are going to play him in a team that doesn't want to take the ball abd setup to play 2 banks of 4 or what is currently described as a "low block" by modern coaches then we may aswell send him back and bring someone in who can tackle.

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

A decent point on paper, but blimey Notts helped us out.  Two absolute gifts of goals.  What was our strategy to score??

An up-turn in effort, but I think that today is as good as you can get with Unsworth's approach.  

The absolute space we gave the wide-players (wide-players?  In this day and age??) was an absolute joke.  It's as if we forgot they're there.  They could cross in at will and our only hope was either Clarke or Hogan got to the ball before their attacker.

Fair play to the players - they did the best they could with the tactical restrictions they had.

Yes, the standing off the Nemane lad in the first half I knew we would pay for it sooner or later 

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Like Latics help other teams week-in and week-out. Even the teams at the top make mistakes, at least Latics managed to capitalise on them for a change.

13 minutes ago, JoeP said:

theyre the best team in the league tho so just do the same against everybody else and win

23 minutes ago, League one forever said:

What is Peck bringing to the side? 

I’d far rather have tolitt and Abraham on the wings with chapman and Sheron in the middle. 

But what is Chapman doing? hardly touched the balll ad stood off players all afternoon.

11 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Like Latics help other teams week-in and week-out. Even the teams at the top make mistakes, at least Latics managed to capitalise on them for a change.

Not to that extent.  Other teams also try and create and aren't just reliant on the opposition cocking up!

17 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

every goal needs a mistake youre trying too hard. if timmy scored would you have cried?

I would have called the police because it would have been a robbery if we had won that today.

I'm not sure playing like that against lessee opposition will bring us much better results. I think we were lucky to get a point and I'm fairly happy clappy these days.

Went to BP fearing a terrible beating but left feeling we showed fighting spirit and deserved the point.

Notts County will be livid, they should have capitalised first half.

As many have commented, Nathan Sheron looks good when played in the right position, very vocal today, good player.

Very impressed with Benny Couto, made an impact, caused problems, played with great confidence.

Joe Nuttall is already proving his worth, definitely a dangerous player, worked very hard.

We regularly start the second half in disarray, happened again today, but then managed to regroup, which usually doesn't happen.

The coaching staff deserve credit, this result defied the odds.

Oddly David Unsworth post match interview still asserting the team formation is insignificant to the outcome, it clearly isn't, we perform better as 4-4-2.

Midfield is still fragile, two needed, plus a right back.

18 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I would have called the police because it would have been a robbery if we had won that today.

I'm not sure playing like that against lessee opposition will bring us much better results. I think we were lucky to get a point and I'm fairly happy clappy these days.

Football eh, we let them have the ball for long periods but the 1st half they really didn't look like scoring. We kept a decent shape hopefully the players will take a lot of confidence from today. 

How much better did we do when we went at them, no doubt about it they are being asked to sit in and it's painful to watch, Sheron gave us a huge lift in there today but other than that the midfield was nonexistent, why play somebody else's kids when we could throw one of our own on to be equally crap, Peck was paceless and clueless half the time, Chapman again went missing and these are other clubs players, get rid if they can't be arsed we need someone in the engine room, Tollitt I've mentioned but he's a greedy cunt who can't find a pass, clean through first half only needs to square it for Nuttall and it's one on one, dribbling across the park till he loses it, okay he chips in but he's weak as piss. Still need a midfield before we can move on, not getting too excited as they should of had half a dozen but it was slightly better.

1200 from the was embarrassing to be fair.

Good post match interview from Unsworth.

I said it earlier that neither Peck nor Chapman work in this team.

1200 from County is a poor effort.

New right back in this week?

Start with Reid alongside Nuttall at Dorking and Couto and Rooney in for the two midfield loanees.

12 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Football eh, we let them have the ball for long periods but the 1st half they really didn't look like scoring. We kept a decent shape hopefully the players will take a lot of confidence from today. 

Indeed football eh they are top and we are 5th bottom for a reason. We didn't look like scoring even remotely our 2 goals came from a Goalkeeping brain fart and Peter Clarke using his 20 year experience of the dark arts of football to win us a penalty like he did at Fulham in 2019.

I'm not sure the tactic of letting teams have possession and control of the game will work better against weaker opposition.  If ofcourse playing like we did today brings us results then I'll happy admit I'm wrong but today I thought we were more lucky than good.

7 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Out of the bottom 4 and a good point against the leaders,

A decent day at the office in anyone's book 

league table looks much better 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Indeed football eh they are top and we are 5th bottom for a reason. We didn't look like scoring even remotely our 2 goals came from a Goalkeeping brain fart and Peter Clarke using his 20 year experience of the dark arts of football to win us a penalty like he did at Fulham in 2019.

I'm not sure the tactic of letting teams have possession and control of the game will work better against weaker opposition.  If ofcourse playing like we did today brings us results then I'll happy admit I'm wrong but today I thought we were more lucky than good.

We could have had a penalty earlier, every time we had a corner they were all over Clarke. 

That was one of the worst Latics right fullback displays I have ever seen. Clarke spent more time standing on Hogan's toes than he did near their winger-when he did get near it was a terrible tackle.

Chapman-did he touch the ball?

Felt sorry for Peck who was obviously over run and nothing changed until we conceded the same goal twice.

Felt a bit like last January TBH-floodlights terrible-No tannoy in the RRE-team at/near bottom of the league. BUT the support was excellent in the RRE.

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Tollitt I've mentioned but he's a greedy cunt who can't find a pass, clean through first half only needs to square it for Nuttall and it's one on one, dribbling across the park till he loses it, okay he chips in but he's weak as piss.

Massively disagree. 

Yes he can hold onto it to long, and he needs to improve his final ball. But he’s only player willing to go past his man. He had some lovely touches first half and all our good play came down his side. He’s scored 6 goals so far, and he’s the only player in the squad to have his contract extended- and you can see why. He’s not perfect, but he’s been one of if not the best players this season. 

Archived