MATCH: Notts County (H) 01/01/23

Unsworth says in his post match interview that we might have stumbled upon a way to play for the rest of the season. As BP60 says, surely we can't set up that way against a Dorking side who have shipped 59 goals this season and were 3 down within 13 minutes yesterday...

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Unsworth says in his post match interview that we might have stumbled upon a way to play for the rest of the season. As BP60 says, surely we can't set up that way against a Dorking side who have shipped 59 goals this season and were 3 down within 13 minutes yesterday...

I sincerely hope not! Dorking score a lot and concede a lot - we should take the game to them 👍

12 hours ago, St92 said:

And if the midfield drop into the backline we have no midfield?

Yesterday our full backs were playing much too narrow allowing their wingers to see too much of the ball. In the first half especially, Peck wasn't even close to the man he was supposed to be marking, leaving Clarke exposed. If we had widened the back line, it may have dragged the centre halves wider apart but that is why you have a central defensive midfielder to cover that position. When the opposition have the ball the midfield are supposed to protect the defenders and Peck wasn't up to the task. Neither did our front two work to pressure their back line when they were playing out from the back, they just walked back to the half way line letting them pass the ball between themselves for a breather. Tactically inept from whoever gave those orders.  

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Yesterday our full backs were playing much too narrow allowing their wingers to see too much of the ball. In the first half especially, Peck wasn't even close to the man he was supposed to be marking, leaving Clarke exposed. If we had widened the back line, it may have dragged the centre halves wider apart but that is why you have a central defensive midfielder to cover that position. When the opposition have the ball the midfield are supposed to protect the defenders and Peck wasn't up to the task. Neither did our front two work to pressure their back line when they were playing out from the back, they just walked back to the half way line letting them pass the ball between themselves for a breather. Tactically inept from whoever gave those orders.  

No point the strikers chasing it down when midfield drop off. Whole team needs to press if you're gonna bother otherwise they'll just pass it round you. Times when midfield could have helped out and closed down but they all back off ten yards

I actually thought when they were standing off Nemane in the first half it was some kind of game plan for us ( god knows what) because everything came through him . It was blindingly obvious that if they got anything it would be through him. I couldn’t see aswell in the second half but I’m assuming Couto came on to do a job on him: we just didn’t want to tackle him . 

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

That’s how I saw it. Kitching was practically playing as a third centre half in the second half, leaving Tollitt to deal with their little right winger, who’s a very good player. Kitching should have been stuck to him like glue, instead of leaving an attacking midfielder who can’t tackle to sort him out. They exploited it and both goals came down that side.

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

He gets hammered for picking out players for poor performance and he gets hammered for praising them when they put in a huge effort 😮

I mean there was an upturn in effort, but he never quite reads the room right.

Our results largely revolve around how our centre-backs and keeper play (and how many gifts the opposition give us!).

We've got no full-backs pressing or tackling.

We've got a midfield that doesn't create or break-up play.

We've got decent attackers (on paper), but they're left isolated and expected to feed off scraps.

It's more than just needing a midfielder to kick people - there should be better strategies in most areas of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

That’s how I saw it. Kitching was practically playing as a third centre half in the second half, leaving Tollitt to deal with their little right winger, who’s a very good player. Kitching should have been stuck to him like glue, instead of leaving an attacking midfielder who can’t tackle to sort him out. They exploited it and both goals came down that side.

I'm not sure Kitching was fit. He went off with the physio during the warm up and didn't come back out until kick off. Assuming they patched him up to try and get him through the game...

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I mean there was an upturn in effort, but he never quite reads the room right.

Our results largely revolve around how our centre-backs and keeper play (and how many gifts the opposition give us!).

We've got no full-backs pressing or tackling.

We've got a midfield that doesn't create or break-up play.

We've got decent attackers (on paper), but they're left isolated and expected to feed off scraps.

It's more than just needing a midfielder to kick people - there should be better strategies in most areas of the pitch.

Yes, He described us as immense, I wouldn’t go that far but I was happy with a point and overall we defended ok without showing much else up until about the last 15 mins or so where we just started to get round them a bit. 
We’ve got to win a few now, I don’t want to get a point at Dorking for him to describe us as “immense” or “battling “. 

21 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

BTW, the picture quality on National League TV is infinitely better than iFollow.

Just hope Roy doesn't spoil it.

Watched the match yesterday with Radio Nottingham commentary.

Not too bias but how do you get the home commentary ?

For me it was a great result taking into account t meh league situation but there’s no real positives. I don’t think we’ve turned a corner nor do I think it was a tactical defensive masterclass that was a one off for the top of the league. We were lucky and bar the one at the end created nothing. He’ll set up same at dorking and in other games and we will get beat. It’s just a stay of execution for him from them gifting us 2 goals. 

11 minutes ago, TJ1952 said:

Watched the match yesterday with Radio Nottingham commentary.

Not too bias but how do you get the home commentary ?

the bbc manchester feed want working not for the first time listened to the nottingham one and were reasonably even  

1 hour ago, Steve_R said:

Thankfully someone watched the same game yesterday, it was exactly how I saw it and tactically Notts just out thought us, singled out the weakness and exploited it, after the first Tollitt should of been subbed as the second was inexcusable and the lad was embarrassed by their No 11. Thought it strange how Kitching didn't help out though, where was he for both goals?

21 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Much, MUCH better compared to whatever the hell they tried to do on Boxing Day. Smaller pitch definitely helps. 

It is smaller but not by very much however this comment from Luke Williams is a little baffling……..

"We struggled with transition later on in the game. It's a very, very big pitch and I think we began to look a bit off the pace in the transitions and we were allowing too much territory to be gained for Oldham. 

Left it a bit to reflect on yesterday. It was a bit of a strange afternoon, I thought in periods we played really neat football and in others we were woeful. We raised our game and workrate far more than we have been doing and they weren't at their best. It was a decent watch I felt.

Tollitt's a curious one isn't he? He is such a handful going forward but he's awful when asked to tackle or hold firm in defence. He reminds me of Jermaine Johnson. incredibly frustrating one minute and capable of a moment of genius the next. You have to have players like that in your side. A few have said he was at fault for both of their goals, however for the second, you have to put that down to the sheer quality of the slide rule pass from Matty Palmer and brilliant awareness from Nemane to slip in behind. Let's not kid ourselves; it's football at a level which has had them averaging more than two points a match.

However Peck and Chapman I'm sure are merely sticking plasters and probably one of the main reasons why we didn't have any kind of press about us. Peck looked out of his depth with and without the ball and Chapman seemed to think his own shadow was a Notts County player and marked that all match. I'm not convinced the lack of pressing is entirely down to DU, I just think he doesn't have players in midfield capable of a high energy combative game and Sheron (who was excellent - brilliant awereness & composure to sieze on the cacophony of mistakes for our goal) is the nearest we have. Jordan Clarke just isn't good enough either.

Credit has to be due to Kitching, who I'm constantly impressed by his energy and workrate, Peter Clarke - who looked back to his classy best - and Norman who is perfectly adequate and showed decent judgement of when to come out for balls. Add a right back with as much quality and I've no problems with the back line, despite a lack of pace amongst it.

24 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm not convinced the lack of pressing is entirely down to DU, I just think he doesn't have players in midfield capable of a high energy combative game

Whos fault is that?

Unsworth signed both Chapman and Peck, and until yesterday, played Sheron at RB

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

For me it was a great result taking into account t meh league situation but there’s no real positives. I don’t think we’ve turned a corner nor do I think it was a tactical defensive masterclass that was a one off for the top of the league. We were lucky and bar the one at the end created nothing. He’ll set up same at dorking and in other games and we will get beat. It’s just a stay of execution for him from them gifting us 2 goals. 

funny how when we were never unlucky, just shit.

5 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Unsworth says in his post match interview that we might have stumbled upon a way to play for the rest of the season.

Stumbled upon. . . christ he’s so disingenuous. 

What you mean Dave, is you played 442 that a lot have been asking for, and you don’t want to admit it’s obviously the best system for the players.  Because it would highlight the absolute clusterfuck of your decision making regarding shape and tactics. They did ok yesterday,  because they were all played in their preferred position, and in a shape they know like the back of their hand. 

He HAS to play that shape, if he does anything with a 5 in it- I guarantee we’ll lose. 

Probably sounds crazy after getting a point from a team who absolutely blitzed us only a few days earlier BUT that game, and post match interview, just re-inforced why DU has to go. He really hasn't got a clue has he? Worst manager we have ever had - or will ever have.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

funny how when we were never unlucky, just shit.

lve only jusnoticed that this doesnt make sense but nobody picked me up bc 20% ppl blocked me 20% scroll past me wo reading 20% of you got exactly what l meant 20% think nothing l post makes sense and 20% think its a joke they dont get!!

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Probably sounds crazy after getting a point from a team who absolutely blitzed us only a few days earlier BUT that game, and post match interview, just re-inforced why DU has to go. He hasn't really got a clue has he?

lm going to admit l havent listened to it

5 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Probably sounds crazy after getting a point from a team who absolutely blitzed us only a few days earlier BUT that game, and post match interview, just re-inforced why DU has to go. He really hasn't got a clue has he? Worst manager we have ever had - or will ever have.

Are you upset at how he folded his arms too?

Archived