MATCH: Notts County (H) 01/01/23

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot better today, actually looked like we Were up for a scrap. I'm  certain that with two new midfielders we will be ok. Chapman and Peck are average at best

We have just played the way best team in the league, and should have won it through Abraham at the death.

Good to see Sheron play in his proper position today, and was easily our best player, he did something that we haven't seen from a Latics player so far this season, he got stuck in and let the County players know that he was there. 

And a last the fans had something to shout about today, well in the second half they did. 

We now need to build on todays encouraging performance, and not sink back down to past poor levels .

17 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

That was one of the worst Latics right fullback displays I have ever seen. Clarke spent more time standing on Hogan's toes than he did near their winger-when he did get near it was a terrible tackle.

He was clearly told to be that close. All of them were constantly looking round to be within 10 yards of person next to them when out of possession, nobody looking to get the ball back 90% of the time just making sure they were all in a line tucked in. Unsworth says maybe we have found a way to play that we can stick with. I'd sack him for that comment alone. We were very lucky today and only looked half decent when we pressured.

We were very, very lucky to come away with anything. They should have scored more. We only created one chance for ourselves when Timmy put it over.

Happy with the point and I was more than happy to give him time but our performances are terrible and we'll keep losing the more we invite teams onto us

It was a battling display today, but we did not play well and camped in our own half the whole game. We did what we needed to in order to get a point. 

Baffled by Unsworths interview. That is not a way of playing going forward at all. He showed a bit of passion for a change when he backed Clarke on the pitch, but that interview just reminds me why he is such a melon. 

20 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

Cant help feeling it would be 3k if we were in there position.

Double that easy. I remember Notts County a few seasons ago filling the Rochdale Rd end. I’m sure they were about to be relegated from league one 

Finally we play Sheron in midfield and he’s MOTM in my opinion just ahead of Peter Clarke.

Other positive was Couto.  Gives us an outlet on the left and his run to byline and cross is what we’re missing…shame Abrahams skied his connection.  Would have been easier to score that chance 😩

However, make no bones about it but we were lucky to scrape a draw.  Notts County should have had a field day but they were equally shocking in their finishing.

DU claims the players stuck to his game plan - if the first 65 mins was his game plan then he still needs to go!  Absolutely no pressing, playing two strikers who are exactly the same (needed Reid or Abrahams instead), no width, gave their wide men the freedom of BP, no bite in midfield aside from Sheron & zero creativity.  Don’t know what his plan is but he’s now nullified Peck alongside Reid & Rooney… and on subject of Rooney, WTF was he thinking playing Rooney on RW or RWB🤪

Desperately need a RB, a RW (looks like Colclough isn’t happening), a DM and a CM because Peck has regressed and I don’t see what Peck or Chapman are adding.  I’d rather give Vaughn the chance to shine even if it takes him 5/6 games… we’re giving Peck and Chapman that same opportunity and they’re not even our players!

Still, I’ll happily take the point and Dorking away should give us another point or three if we step up from today.  However still concerned we achieved that point today despite DU being in charge as opposed to because of him.

Couto didn't offer an outlet he tucked in and didn't touch the ball for 10 minutes, hoofed one out of play and got in behind the full back once which we should of scored from, he does point a lot but other than that offered as little as the rest of the midfield, he never shows for the ball or attempts to find any space and really isnt the answer. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Couto didn't offer an outlet he tucked in and didn't touch the ball for 10 minutes, hoofed one out of play and got in behind the full back once which we should of scored from, he does point a lot but other than that offered as little as the rest of the midfield, he never shows for the ball or attempts to find any space and really isnt the answer. 

He was brought on to nullify their RW who had run Peck ragged.

When he came on he stopped this happening and then started to get forward-which could have led to a winner-it clipped the top of the bar. He should have been on at HT.

Disagree with you on your Tollitt opinion too-played OK today.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

we were getting hammered on that flank and he stopped it and then set up what should've been a winner. 

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

He was brought on to nullify their RW who had run Peck ragged.

When he came on he stopped this happening and then started to get forward-which could have led to a winner-it clipped the top of the bar. He should have been on at HT.

Disagree with you on your Tollitt opinion too-played OK today.

Wrong again, Tollit had his pants pulled down by the RW for both goals, Peck was on the other wing, he moved Tollit over to the right and replaced Peck with Couto, if you think Tollitt played okay I watched a different game, weak as piss and cant find a blue shirt, he does run the ball out quite effectively but the amount of times he makes the wrong decision is shocking. Couto got forward once, granted we should of scored from it but he plays too defensive for me which is probably a symptom of being over coached and the safe approach Unsworth prefers.

Sheron stepped up today and was the only player willing to do the dirty work, all the rest of the midfield can go in the bin for me.

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Wrong again, Tollit had his pants pulled down by the RW for both goals, Peck was on the other wing, he moved Tollit over to the right and replaced Peck with Couto, if you think Tollitt played okay I watched a different game, weak as piss and cant find a blue shirt, he does run the ball out quite effectively but the amount of times he makes the wrong decision is shocking. Couto got forward once, granted we should of scored from it but he plays too defensive for me which is probably a symptom of being over coached and the safe approach Unsworth prefers.

Sheron stepped up today and was the only player willing to do the dirty work, all the rest of the midfield can go in the bin for me.

Tollitt linked up well with Kitching first half I thought. 

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Play him LW ahead of Kitching and you’ll see a very different player.  

10 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

It was a battling display today, but we did not play well and camped in our own half the whole game. We did what we needed to in order to get a point. 

Baffled by Unsworths interview. That is not a way of playing going forward at all. He showed a bit of passion for a change when he backed Clarke on the pitch, but that interview just reminds me why he is such a melon. 

Yes describing the players as outstanding and immense was actually worrying. We stuck to a gameplan of scraping a draw in a game where we were comfortably second best. 

32 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes describing the players as outstanding and immense was actually worrying. We stuck to a gameplan of scraping a draw in a game where we were comfortably second best. 

I thought his post match interview was a reasonable assessment. We stuck to a game plan which saw us gain a draw against the league leaders, six days after they completely tore us apart.

We have had a poor run under Unsworth and our confidence is understandably low; so he set us up to nullify their main threats and to occupy their centre backs. We were compact and worked hard and yes we were second best against the league leaders.

He gets hammered for picking out players for poor performance and he gets hammered for praising them when they put in a huge effort 😮

As @Monty Burnspointed out (in one of his rare normal posts…):

”some people are trying far too hard to boil their piss”

11 hours ago, St92 said:

And if the midfield drop into the backline we have no midfield?

I’m not suggesting all four midfields drop in to a back 8… obviously. One dropping in to plug the gap that may appear would be sufficient. 

I’d say your suggestion of having a tactic that “allows” their wingers to have it and cross at will would be barmy. It may even result in conceding 6 goals over 180 minutes…. I doubt that was the intentional tactic. 

Archived