Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

33 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't think you take pleasure from see us toiling in 17th anymore than I do. But you do appear somewhat angry and I just feel some of you will just move onto the next so called "weak link" could be a player a coach a board member and start having a pop at him. Am not going to do that it I trust the people in charge to make the right decisions.

Angry because I have an opinion on a manager 🤣 I'd describe it as frustration because for me all this is missed opportunity, I know others feel differently and want Unsworth to be given time and money to improve our League position but to me we are just fishing in an empty barrel now.

You can trust the people in charge as much as you like, I have confidence in them and feel content that we are finally in safe hands but it won't stop me from having opinions on managers and players, if i become apathetic to that I'll probably give it up as a bad job but as things stand I don't mind giving my two penneth.

• Like 1

To those using the revolving door, and he should be given time and not repeat the hiring and firing of previous owners argument. 

Unsworth is our second longest serving manager since Lee Johnson, in 2013!

This guy has been given time, the board has proved they will back managers and give them time, it’s not anyone’s fault that Unsworth is incapable. He can’t say he hasn’t been given time. We are literally worse off 46 games later. 

There is one solution and that’s to win games fast. But I said that after the Chesterfield game and since then we have played 4 won 0. He’s so unbelievably out of his depth it’s untrue.

I hope he goes on to win 3 games on the bounce, but he needs to rethink how he sets his teams up and park the notion that we can’t be open and have a go at teams. We should not be afraid of any team in this division and I include Chesterfield in that. Sure we might lose 3-0 one game because we couldn’t hit the back of the net on a particular day. But it would certainly yield more than 1 win in 8 games and bored fan base. Pointless writing this as he’s to stubborn as he’s shown that for the preceding 46 games. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

To those using the revolving door, and he should be given time and not repeat the hiring and firing of previous owners argument. 

When people say give him time- no one knows what that actually means, because without results it’s pointless. 

I think every manager at every club is one bad ten game spell away from the sack at anytime. Which in my opinion is fair. If you only win 1 or none in ten games something is seriously wrong. 

The idea any club sticks with a manager, just so they can say he lasted longer than the last guy- is counter productive. 

It’s really simple. They’re employed to get results. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

When people say give him time- no one knows what that actually means, because without results it’s pointless. 

I think every manager at every club is one bad ten game spell away from the sack at anytime. Which in my opinion is fair. If you only win 1 or none in ten games something is seriously wrong. 

The idea any club sticks with a manager, just so they can say he lasted longer than the last guy- is counter productive. 

It’s really simple. They’re employed to get results. 

So if the next guy comes in and only wins 1 out of 10 he has to go as well and the revolving door starts again?

32 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

That in itself is a problem that we are considering 1 year a long period of time for a manager.

So if we change the manager we need to learn the right lessons from this. You can do the right thing and sometimes not get the desired results. This manager has been given some leeway I hope the next one is given as much if not more because their is no point sacking this manager and being in the same position of sacking the next one 6-12 months down the line.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Cook at Chesterfield had a run like that last season and they fell away from the title race. There would have no doubt been fans calling for his head at the time based on your thinking here. I don't think that's fair, it's far too reactionary.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

So if the next guy comes in and only wins 1 out of 10 he has to go as well and the revolving door starts again?

This always gets trotted out. . . 

Name me a single time that a club has sacked a manager for 1 win in 10, and the next come guy comes in, he wins 1 in 10 and they sack him. 

It’s a cool story, but It’s never happened in the history of football. 

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

That in itself is a problem that we are considering 1 year a long period of time for a manager.

It's a long time for an inept manager demonstrating zero likelihood of improving a teams fortunes.

It wouldn't be a long time for a proven/promising manager clearly taking a team in the right direction.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Cook at Chesterfield had a run like that last season and they fell away from the title race. There would have no doubt been fans calling for his head at the time based on your thinking here. I don't think that's fair, it's far too reactionary.

Cook had shown plenty in his career and his stints at Chesterfield to warrant being given time. 

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

As you say though NZ, he came under massive pressure. And could have easily have gone. 1 win in 10 at any club and its alarm bells or the fat lady makes an appearance. . and when that is your primary role- it’s not unreasonable. 

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This always gets trotted out. . . 

Name me a single time that a club has sacked a manager for 1 win in 10, and the next come guy comes in, he wins 1 in 10 and they sack him. 

It’s a cool story, but It’s never happened in the history of football. 

Of course not. But that's where we are at isn't it, any new manager isn't going to get any time from the fans unless they are winning from game one.

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Cook had shown plenty in his career and his stints at Chesterfield to warrant being given time. 

Obviously yeah. But I was responding to "every manager at every club" rather than using it as a reason for keeping DU.  It's the norm for a sacking in those situations, a lot of clubs would have done it. Look at what Salford have done over the last few years for example. They have expectations of promotion and have been churning through the managers, most with decent reputations and cvs. They're still in the same league now.

If they get rid of DU and the new boss struggles, I'd hope they give him the same amount of patience. I think that's a better strategy in the long term.

14 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

Is this still the player signings news and rumours thread?  Just checking.

My guess is the players DU wants to move on to make way in the squad and budget ain't happy with the bung from the club to move. Or no other club wants them.

Just now, deyres42 said:

Of course not. But that's where we are at isn't it, any new manager isn't going to get any time from the fans unless they are winning from game one.

No, he can win game 4, 7, 8, 9 and be absolutely fine in any ten game period.

That gives him 16-18 wins over a season, draw a similar amount, 70 odd points and playoffs. It’s not difficult that for a decent manager. 

Im not expecting miracles, just someone competent. 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No, he can win game 4, 7, 8, 9 and be absolutely fine in any ten game period.

That gives him 16-18 wins over a season, draw a similar amount, 70 odd points and playoffs. It’s not difficult that for a decent manager. 

Im not expecting miracles, just someone competent. 

Scraping into the playoffs won't be good enough surely, not with this great squad?