Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Terrible footballers don’t score 30 yard worldies, or play in promotion sides. 

Our midfield has just dominated in the last two away games. 

But don’t let get in the way of your dramatic generalisation. 

The win at Barnet was a good result, but there was absolutely no way our midfield dominated that game...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

The win at Barnet was a good result, but there was absolutely no way our midfield dominated that game...

Define midfield dominance. . . 

Help create chances/goals. Stop the oppo doing the same. 

Which is exactly what they did in both games, In fact Id also say our midfield was good against Eastleigh and Alty. Where we created numerous chances and reduced them to very little. 

I’m not saying it can’t be improved with better players, but since Mellon has come in it’s been much better. 

Which promotion side has he played in?

In the next game, just watch how many times he passes sideways or backwards. How many times he stops our attacking play from developing. He sits too deep, can‘t take the ball on the turn, and can‘t pick a forward pass. Not a very good midfielder.

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Yep, I’d imagine the majority are all on healthy contracts. 

Most have been since the owners took over.

Yes, it's annoying when it's a player you're desperate to get shut of. However I'd take that all day instead of the seemingly endless cycle of 6 month deals for predominantly crap players and revolving door every summer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

However I'd take that all day instead of the seemingly endless cycle of 6 month deals for predominantly crap player

Absolutely. If you want to build a team you need to retain a solid core. How many times have we started a season with a team of complete strangers in recent years.

Longer contracts the right thing to do- just need to get player selection right. Only managed one of those two under Unsworth and ST.

17 hours ago, BerlinBlue said:

Which promotion side has he played in?

In the next game, just watch how many times he passes sideways or backwards. How many times he stops our attacking play from developing. He sits too deep, can‘t take the ball on the turn, and can‘t pick a forward pass. Not a very good midfielder.

Sheron is not the main problem.

Every team needs someone doing the dirty work and keeping things simple.

If we had the right players to play 4:5:1 with 2 proper attacking wide midfield men, a good baller in the middle 3 (and not DG) and a better right back Sheron would be fine.

Our issue is an aging, static team without the legs to create enough space going forward for the likes of Sheron etc to play more meaningful attacking passes, particularly when we are at home.

Take him out and we are worse than we are today....fact

Edited by Londonboy
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Sheron is not the main problem.

Every team needs someone doing the dirty work and keeping things simple.

If we had the right players to play 4:5:1 with 2 proper attacking wide midfield men, a good baller in the middle 3 (and not DG) and a better right back Sheron would be fine.

Our issue is an aging, static team without the legs to create enough space going forward for the likes of Sheron etc to play more meaningful attacking passes, particularly when we are at home.

Take him out and we are worse than we are today....fact

Who did this for both Notts County and Wrexham last year then ? You don’t NEED a central midfielder who struggles to pass a football. 

Here is a thought. Why don’t we get a player who can break up play in midfield AND pass a ball more than 2 yards to his team mate. 

We are playing a midfield 2 currently. All the opposition have to do is stand on Lundstram and let Sheron have the ball as they know the chances of him creating anything is next to Nil. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, League one forever said:

Terrible footballers don’t score 30 yard worldies, or play in promotion sides. 

Our midfield has just dominated in the last two away games. 

But don’t let get in the way of your dramatic generalisation. 

Buzzing with the Barnet game, great result. 

Dominated the midfield ? Absolutely not. We got lucky at times, we stayed in the game and the quality in the counter attack won us the game. 

They also went all out attack from minute 1 which suited the setup. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Buzzing with the Barnet game, great result. 

Dominated the midfield ? Absolutely not. We got lucky at times, we stayed in the game and the quality in the counter attack won us the game. 

They also went all out attack from minute 1 which suited the setup. 

I don’t remember them going through the middle of us once, all their threat came down the sides. That’s because the shape was very good, and Sheron Lundy blocked and tackled and then attacked on the counter. 

They were both Superb. As Micky himself said, he couldn’t fault anyone. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I don’t remember them going through the middle of us once, all their threat came down the sides. That’s because the shape was very good, and Sheron Lundy blocked and tackled and then attacked on the counter. 

Agree with this. It's about as solid as I've seen us right through the spine of the team. Two strikers, two midfielders and two centre halves + goalkeeper. We sacrificed the wide areas because they had much more quality there than us. They very rarely penetrated us through the middle, unlike Ebbsfleet who seemingly did it whenever they felt like it.

It wasn't dominance in the respect of controlling possession. It was solid and incisive. It - along with Woking - was a marker for where our levels need to be this season. Next season they'll need to be higher still, with better players.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Charles or Eddie said:

What does this mean?

Clubman probably has gone out of fashion as a description. When I used it I meant someone who who gives their all and puts the club first. Sheron has played in at least three positions for the club, he didn't sulk when stripped of the captaincy, just gets on with it. Too much can be made of body language but he demonstrably cares during the game. He's got a great engine, must work hard on his fitness. He was player's player of the year last season.

He seems like the kind of guy you would want in the dressing room. I accept he could be upgraded (most of our players could be upgraded) but even if displaced I'd keep him for his versatility and ability to come in and do a job in different positions.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Big difference between being hard to play through and compact and controlling the midfield with possession.

Anyone can see Sheron is massively limited. Doesn’t mean he doesn't have his positives. But whether they outweigh his drawbacks are up for debate. We can do so much better in my opinion. 

52 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

All the opposition have to do is stand on Lundstram and let Sheron have the ball as they know the chances of him creating anything is next to Nil. 

Now I’m not having a pop @LightDN123 but take the Barnet game as an example:

There was the ball to Fondop that led to the penalty, the ball through to Norwood where he found himself one on one with the keeper but slipped the ball just past the post… oh and the ball to Norwood who took it on and bagged the third ….

All chances created by Sheron 👍

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Big difference between being hard to play through and compact and controlling the midfield with possession

They did that the game before at Woking, but doesn’t suit your narrative. 

They then went to second in the leave away from home and you expect them to dominate possession. . . silly argument. Different games, different approaches. Superb midfield performances for different reasons. 

48 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyone can see Sheron is massively limited

Nowt like a good old generalisation.

You think he’s limited, (fine)  lots of other see his game and ability differently. As I’ve said to you before; you can’t have 11 ballers. 

32 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Now I’m not having a pop @LightDN123 but take the Barnet game as an example:

There was the ball to Fondop that led to the penalty, the ball through to Norwood where he found himself one on one with the keeper but slipped the ball just past the post… oh and the ball to Norwood who took it on and bagged the third ….

All chances created by Sheron 👍

No problem was expecting this response, it’s fair. 

But, the lead up to the penalty was because Walker (Barnet keeper) smashed it against the defenders leg from about 5 yards away. (How was he not sent off). 

Those other two balls were just hit in behind a high line, good passes but he rarely does them and I’m not sure many players would struggle to hit them balls. 

13 minutes ago, League one forever said:

They then went to second in the leave away from home and you expect them to dominate possession. . . silly argument. Different games, different approaches. Superb midfield performances for different reasons. 

You think he’s limited, (fine)  lots of other see his game and ability differently. As I’ve said to you before; you can’t have 11 ballers. 

I never said I expected them to dominate possession. I’m saying they didn’t dominate possession. I never expected them to. 

You can’t have 11 ballers no. But your central midfielders should be able to retain and pass a football to a certain standard, and Sheron falls below that in my eyes. 

You might appreciate a midfielder which runs and can tackle. More than fine. But when you play with a midfield 2, it highlights his weakness. 

If it is true that MM wants rid, which I highly doubt is true btw, then he can see them same issues I do. 

17 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Just to add to the above.

You keep saying we played well against Alti and Eastleigh, I think they were very similar performances. I agree that we had an element of control in those games. 

But, for Eastleigh, Sheron didn’t even play and a 28 year old centre back slotted into midfield instead of Sheron playing his 5th game ever in that position, and we didn’t notice a difference in performance. 

What does that tell you ? Sheron is on par with a 28year old centre back playing in the midfield. Oh, McGahey passes better than Sheron. Doesn’t run as much mind. 

2 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Here is a thought. Why don’t we get a player who can break up play in midfield AND pass a ball more than 2 yards to his team mate. 

This. Plenty of players can do this.

Sheron's contributions to breaking up play get way overblown because he makes a few sliding tackles here and there and runs around a bit. As long as he is starting in our midfield, we will not get promoted. He'd be ok as a backup, that's it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

You can’t have 11 ballers no. But your central midfielders should be able to retain and pass a football to a certain standard, and Sheron falls below that in my eyes. 

He’s played his best football under Mellon, and has done the things you want to see under his tenure. It’s not a coincidence that has happened. I’ve said before they’re better players out there at what he does, but there always is for every player. I’d upgrade 3 positions before his. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Just to add to the above.

You keep saying we played well against Alti and Eastleigh, I think they were very similar performances. I agree that we had an element of control in those games. 

But, for Eastleigh, Sheron didn’t even play and a 28 year old centre back slotted into midfield instead of Sheron playing his 5th game ever in that position, and we didn’t notice a difference in performance. 

What does that tell you ? Sheron is on par with a 28year old centre back playing in the midfield. Oh, McGahey passes better than Sheron. Doesn’t run as much mind. 

If Magehy plays in front of the back four and Marshall’s, then fine. But I’d have Sheron over him in a two every day of the week. 

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

He’s played his best football under Mellon, and has done the things you want to see under his tenure. It’s not a coincidence that has happened. I’ve said before they’re better players out there at what he does, but there always is for every player. I’d upgrade 3 positions before his. 

If Magehy plays in front of the back four and Marshall’s, then fine. But I’d have Sheron over him in a two every day of the week. 

Who's Marshall?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Clubman probably has gone out of fashion as a description. When I used it I meant someone who who gives their all and puts the club first. Sheron has played in at least three positions for the club, he didn't sulk when stripped of the captaincy, just gets on with it. Too much can be made of body language but he demonstrably cares during the game. He's got a great engine, must work hard on his fitness. He was player's player of the year last season.

He seems like the kind of guy you would want in the dressing room. I accept he could be upgraded (most of our players could be upgraded) but even if displaced I'd keep him for his versatility and ability to come in and do a job in different positions.

Great description and I agree, he's someone u want in the squad.

6 hours ago, Hemel latic said:

Great description and I agree, he's someone u want in the squad.

• Thanks 1