Where is Freeman?

Sutton wasn't on it from minute one today and rightly was pulled, looked like he'd got out of bed the wrong side, still young and being asked to play out of position so some allowances made for that. He's generally been solid but was turned inside out at times for me.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Before you judge we don't know the circumstances, it is hard enough if everything goes swimmingly. Family and health come 1st every time. 

Ah yeah fair enough. Hope mum and baby doing well.

Could do with him back though 🙄 

• Like 3

Obviously I have no idea why he’s not playing but I would applaud him if he’s said to the club he wants to take some parental leave. Footballers regularly seem to turn up for matches during/immediately after the birth of a child. In no other job would we look on this as a positive approach. Being a footballer is a job and employers should support family wellbeing. If Latics have encouraged/supported him to take time off then that’s another sign they’re a class club being run in the right way. 

• Like 4

I can see where you’re coming from but he’s only on a contract till January and has a really poor record playing time wise over the last few years. Seems strange to give someone a short term deal like that then give him a chunk of time off, as I can’t remember the last time he played.

I just hope everything was ok with the birth and that’s not the reason for his extended absence

Again like everyone else I don't know the circumstances. Maybe the birth was early and hence the short term contract was up to around the birth.  Who knows. 

However, the side needs a right back of sorts. I think it's safe to say at best we finish below 3rd and in the playoffs. So we need to make sure that's exactly what we do. 

13 hours ago, trickyrickyholden said:

Ah yeah fair enough. Hope mum and baby doing well.

Could do with him back though 🙄 

well done, some would have doubled down there. tbh l thought it too for a few seconds!!

l cant read your username without imaginin that knees up celebration 🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lags said:

Again like everyone else I don't know the circumstances. Maybe the birth was early and hence the short term contract was up to around the birth.  Who knows. 

However, the side needs a right back of sorts. I think it's safe to say at best we finish below 3rd and in the playoffs. So we need to make sure that's exactly what we do. 

suppose l could settle for third. but first and second best have a lot of poiints!

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If he is commuting from Nottingham every day then we perhaps need to be looking at other options.

The FB and midfield deficiencies should have been addressed in the close season.

It was unfortunate Lundstram & Ward were injured from the start but that can happen at any time and we just haven’t got enough strength in depth.

Freeman & Raglan may well turn out to be good signings but by the time they are fully fit we’ll be half way through the season!

Our ball retention, movement, vision, and passing ability is almost non existent. Steve Thompson was never addressing that problem in a couple of weeks, these are the exact same players that Unsworth failed to get any sort of tune out of and they have to take a portion of the blame!

10 points from 12 is playoffs minimum and I have to be happy with that but the four games played have been against teams in the lower half of the table and the fact that we are still being outplayed, outfought, and dominated, in the main, by part time footballers is a massive concern for me!

Thompson, if he is to get the job, will have to show he’s capable of improving our overall play, but I’m not entirely convinced that he, or anyone else for that matter, would be able to get consistent and cohesive performances out of this current squad of players.

On paper, it would appear we have better players than most in this league, but in practice, where it matters most, we are falling way short!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The FB and midfield deficiencies should have been addressed in the close season.

It was unfortunate Lundstram & Ward were injured from the start but that can happen at any time and we just haven’t got enough strength in depth.

Freeman & Raglan may well turn out to be good signings but by the time they are fully fit we’ll be half way through the season!

Our ball retention, movement, vision, and passing ability is almost non existent. Steve Thompson was never addressing that problem in a couple of weeks, these are the exact same players that Unsworth failed to get any sort of tune out of and they have to take a portion of the blame!

10 points from 12 is playoffs minimum and I have to be happy with that but the four games played have been against teams in the lower half of the table and the fact that we are still being outplayed, outfought, and dominated, in the main, by part time footballers is a massive concern for me!

Thompson, if he is to get the job, will have to show he’s capable of improving our overall play, but I’m not entirely convinced that he, or anyone else for that matter, would be able to get consistent and cohesive performances out of this current squad of players.

On paper, it would appear we have better players than most in this league, but in practice, where it matters most, we are falling way short!

says in his post match he will be addressing it. basically said 'yeah they run a lot for me, but they cant pass a parcel.'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Tbf they brought in Lundstram and Ward  and Dickenson for the midfield positions.

It’s the failure to address the FB problem that perplexes the most.

• Like 1