BPAS PODCAST: 23rd Oct '23, S4E14: Hope & Glory

It was a big day in the north on Saturday and this Lancashire derby did not disappoint, an absolute cracker at Spotland as Latics came out on top in a seven goal thriller.

Find all our links ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠!

You can support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/oafcpodcast/subscribe⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠.

All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone but only subscribers can access an audio only version of the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast from Friday morning at 6am and listen to both shows ad free.

If you'd like to advertise on the show, please email info@oafcpodcast.co.uk

If you'd like to make a one off donation, you can now also Buy Us A Coffee by clicking ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠here

⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠

You can also support us by visiting ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Please subscribe to our ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠YouTube channel⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ to watch the Latics Football Phone In live every Wednesday from 8.30pm.

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

BPAS and Latics Football Phone In are ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠KUPOD⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠ productions.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at ⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠⁠www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

3 hours ago, Lags said:

Plenty seats unused....

whilst that may be true, the calmer heads during our goal celebrations would have spotted at least four times when fans ran from all three Rochdale sections into the Oldham section. for a split second l thought it was rochdale comin for us!!!

Edited by Monty Burns
sections

sorry for spamming but the excited end of the polar spectrum woke up this morning and this episode is brill after about ten mins.

'you dont fit thru the turnstiles' 🤣🤣🤣🤣

'Christians Christian name' l hope you knew him in adavance, bc religions is a touchy subject atm!!! 🤣🤣

Andy tellin that story about Alex Reid's social media make me think about having social media!!!

its for the best l dont.

altho l am on fb. tried to add Matt but l think he's scared l'll stalk him and he didnt accept 🤣🤣🤣

l'm not like lbby l promise

13 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

There were but when you turn up in the stand about 20 minutes into the game...

there'll be people see that and go '20 mins late? shuda got t'earlier buz then the wazzocks'

theyre funny them types

🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Matt featured this topic
1 minute ago, Roger Ritchie said:

The Neil Redfearn's wife podcast bit. She seemed upset that Neil hadn't been offered the job fulltime - fair enough. But she claims he is 8 unbeaten. Didn't he only join a few weeks ago? After the league wins? 

No Thommo appointed him after poss one match so l think he was 5 poss 6 unbeaten so for his wife to claim 8 is acceptable.

crying on your husbands behalf in public however is not and she best have got a stern telling off and no sex for a day after that.

14 minutes ago, Roger Ritchie said:

The Neil Redfearn's wife podcast bit. She seemed upset that Neil hadn't been offered the job fulltime - fair enough. But she claims he is 8 unbeaten. Didn't he only join a few weeks ago? After the league wins? 

On Football Weekly she wasn't really specifically talking about Neil, she'd already said he'd come in with Thompson, so I expect it was more a generalised statement of "they were asked to do a job, went unbeaten and didn't get the job" - which is entirely true, but obviously doesn't tell the whole story either. 

I really like her as a journalist, and you can't really blame her for looking through tinted lenses in favour of her husband. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Roger Ritchie said:

She’s seemed bitter? Why is she on the radio anyways ? (I don’t know who she is). 

But like Andy says, it indicates that Thommo and Redfearn essentially abandoned the club when they knew they were not getting the job. Which to me, confirms that I am happy we didn’t go with them. They could have had a decent send off and a thanks from the fans… 

5 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

She’s seemed bitter? Why is she on the radio anyways ? (I don’t know who she is). 

But like Andy says, it indicates that Thommo and Redfearn essentially abandoned the club when they knew they were not getting the job. Which to me, confirms that I am happy we didn’t go with them. They could have had a decent send off and a thanks from the fans… 

She's an ex player I think. I have heard her before she is quite good. I wasn't aware she was married to Redfearn. 

8 minutes ago, Ackey said:

On Football Weekly she wasn't really specifically talking about Neil, she'd already said he'd come in with Thompson, so I expect it was more a generalised statement of "they were asked to do a job, went unbeaten and didn't get the job" - which is entirely true, but obviously doesn't tell the whole story either. 

I really like her as a journalist, and you can't really blame her for looking through tinted lenses in favour of her husband. 

Fair enough if Redfearn came in early. I just had it in my head he was added later. Fair that she would think he would get appointed a lot of our fans did. 

The results weren't great in hindsight - better than they were under Unsworth and the wins were very welcome. We did throw a few leads away against poor teams for the games we drew though. Against teams you would hope to win against. Then since they went we have had two decent wins against better teams (aware of new manager bounce, FA Cup bounce, derby bounce etc.) 

Just felt like they were doing a decent job with a good squad but performances were tailing off. 

• Like 1

Good listen as always. Got to the point where they talk about Unsworth and Mellon’s ages. It is 18 months difference, Unsworth turned 50 last week and Mellon is 51. 

Yeah I was shocked when I first found that out too as like @lookersstandandy said it feels like Mellon is a bit older as he’s been round the block and won a few times, and Unsworth feels a bit younger than that as he has only been managing kids at various teams.

35 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Good listen as always. Got to the point where they talk about Unsworth and Mellon’s ages. It is 18 months difference, Unsworth turned 50 last week and Mellon is 51. 

Yeah I was shocked when I first found that out too as like @lookersstandandy said it feels like Mellon is a bit older as he’s been round the block and won a few times, and Unsworth feels a bit younger than that as he has only been managing kids at various teams.

I don't know why there's shock about Unsworth's age.

He'd been retired from playing ages and we were his first permanent senior management role - that was one of the red flags! 

23 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I don't know why there's shock about Unsworth's age.

He'd been retired from playing ages and we were his first permanent senior management role - that was one of the red flags! 

tbh l thought Eminem was about 62 and just hoofed it.

how ignorant am l 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I don't think she came across as bitter, no. It was more of a "They seemed to do well and I think he did enough to get the job" vibe, nothing more.  

1 hour ago, Roger Ritchie said:

She's an ex player I think. I have heard her before she is quite good. I wasn't aware she was married to Redfearn. 

Yep - she's very well regarded in football, and was a big part of Leeds' Academy set up for a while. She talks a lot of common sense on Football Weekly and wrote a brilliant article about the England Euro win in 2022. 

Lucy Ward (footballer) - Wikipedia

13 minutes ago, Ackey said:

I don't think she came across as bitter, no. It was more of a "They seemed to do well and I think he did enough to get the job" vibe, nothing more.  

Yep - she's very well regarded in football, and was a big part of Leeds' Academy set up for a while. She talks a lot of common sense on Football Weekly and wrote a brilliant article about the England Euro win in 2022. 

lno you go round sweepin enuf of my litter but any chance you (or somebody) else could link me in to this said pod?

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

heard it. l think she was bitter but realised herself as she said it out loud and saved it with the cliché!!!

3 hours ago, Lags said:

Loads near me the whole game

Whereas by me there were people standing in the aisle all the way up. Really irritating when you'd ordered an aisle seat.

Kinda sums up the issues with the stewarding as at every other ground I've been to including Spotland in the past the aisles have rightly been kept clear.

I doubt there were extras in the stand and while there might have been the odd person who didn't turn up or couldn't get rid of their spare ticket. Every seat was supposed to be taken but it clearly wasn't especially when the allocated seats went out the window the moment I got there "Sit anywhere".

2 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Whereas by me there were people standing in the aisle all the way up. Really irritating when you'd ordered an aisle seat.

Kinda sums up the issues with the stewarding as at every other ground I've been to including Spotland in the past the aisles have rightly been kept clear.

I doubt there were extras in the stand and while there might have been the odd person who didn't turn up or couldn't get rid of their spare ticket. Every seat was supposed to be taken but it clearly wasn't especially when the allocated seats went out the window the moment I got there "Sit anywhere".

For sure aisles, against the advertising boards,  on the pitch and drinking beer. Anyone would think it were the scousers or Millwall in town. Poor steward and policing.

15 minutes ago, Lags said:

For sure aisles, against the advertising boards,  on the pitch and drinking beer. Anyone would think it were the scousers or Millwall in town. Poor steward and policing.

Yeah but no doubt the GMP's investigation won't consider their part, or that of Taurus.

Of course if the person knocked down complains hard enough and to the right people the investigation might get taken out of GMP's hands.