Trending in the right direction.

I think we’re all agreed on how well we played yesterday, but I’ve read a few saying let’s not get carried away with one performance. While it’s a true that’s it’s the first 90 minute performance, large elements of yesterday have been there for weeks. 

The same players who looked bereft of confidence under Unsy, and unable to create or pass. Are suddenly carving numerous chances. Our ball retention is very good. Our passing is night and day. We are moving the ball from front to back a lot quicker. Prior to yesterday the above was coming in spells, but I didn’t mind that because you could see team transitioning to what the manager wants, and it was always going to take a while to bed in. 

We will have hiccups (flyde) but I’m really confident that we’re finally going places. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 8

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think we’re all agreed on how well we played yesterday, but I’ve read a few saying let’s not get carried away with one performance. While it’s a true that’s it’s the first 90 minute performance, large elements of yesterday have been there for weeks. 

The same players who looked bereft of confidence under Unsy, and unable to create or pass. Are suddenly carving numerous chances. Our ball retention is very good. Our passing is night and day. We are moving the ball from front to back a lot quicker. Prior to yesterday the above was coming in spells, but I didn’t mind that because you could see team transitioning to what the manager wants, and it was always going to take a while to bed in. 

We will have hiccups (flyde) but I’m really confident that we’re finally going places. 

I didn’t see the game yesterday league one but it sounds like you were impressed and a was an impressive performance collectively. I’m hoping one thing MM can do is add consistency. Barnet needs to be treated the same, with no showboating or complacency . 

4 minutes ago, True Tic said:

I’m hoping one thing MM can do is add consistency. Barnet needs to be treated the same, with no showboating or complacency . 

Definitely. That’s why I was so pleased yesterday, because that consistency of performance is getting better all the time. If they continue to play like that, even for the majority of the time- the results will take care of themselves. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s very encouraging/hopeful. Confidence is such a massive factor at any level of sport, but especially at the professional level. These guys didn’t get pro contracts by accident - it happened because of their ability. If they can build from here and start to put winning runs together, then they can achieve success. Any team is beatable in this league, as yesterday’s results showed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Oldham fans get too excited when they win and too depressed when they lose.

Not my words. The words of former Doncaster man, and part of the reason we currently find ourselves in the Vauxhall Conference, Richie Wellens...

We find ourselves in the is this division because of the shit previous stewardship of the club. 

We are bloody entitled to grasp the little bit of light of yesterday’s performance. It’s been promising, let’s see how we get on but don’t insult the knowledgeable and experienced fan base.

Didn’t Wellens take us down, if he had shown more balls with the owners we might have starved off relegation for at least another year.

• Like 4

We've come along way in a short time and with a good shout of the play offs judging by the inconsistency of virtually every club in the division,

I'm much happier now than I was and such a shame it took so long to realise change was required, who knows where we'd be sitting in the table had it been done sooner?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Lukers1 said:

We find ourselves in the is this division because of the shit previous stewardship of the club. 

We are bloody entitled to grasp the little bit of light of yesterday’s performance. It’s been promising, let’s see how we get on but don’t insult the knowledgeable and experienced fan base.

Didn’t Wellens take us down, if he had shown more balls with the owners we might have starved off relegation for at least another year.

He's right though. This team was quality being taken to horrific depths by DU. Then he went and it was a poor squad of players that was the issue. We perform well against a team that has lost 8 in 10? And suddenly things are rosey

It’s not about reacting to 1 win though. It’s about looking at the performances since Mellon took over. With each game the performances are getting better and a style is starting to develop. Despite DU getting good results in the 2nd half of last season there was little showing when it came to style of play developing. Same with the few games ST was in charge. 

There’s a long way to go for it to be properly consistent, but for the first time in god knows how many managers you can see something decent starting to develop. 

• Like 3

A much better performance than we’ve been used to however Woking are out of form and have no manager.

If we can produce a similar display and result at Barnet that will be the time to get excited!

We’ll definitely have a better idea after Wednesday!

2 hours ago, Lukers1 said:

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

There’s a long way to go for it to be properly consistent, but for the first time in god knows how many managers you can see something decent starting to develop. 

Spot on. 

We moan and moan (rightly) about the football being shit. We finally get something to cling to, and people still want to find negatives- despite what’s happening in front of their eyes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We needed 4 new players last week. I can't keep up

And maybe we still need some or all of those 4. Teams can always be improved by bringing in new players. But here’s a thought - maybe sometimes a good and experienced manager can coach players to become better. How radical is that lol. We’ve been playing one game a week lately and just maybe the extra time MM has had on the training ground with the squad, plus finding his own feet at a new club, i.e. getting to know that squad, is starting to pay off?

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He's right though. This team was quality being taken to horrific depths by DU. Then he went and it was a poor squad of players that was the issue. We perform well against a team that has lost 8 in 10? And suddenly things are rosey

Nobody at all is saying things are rosy, come on mcfluff. All we can say at the moment is that we are in touch with the playoffs and our still new (but with a decent track record) manager is maybe starting to get a tune out of this squad. Early days, but how about a touch of optimism (just a touch, ok, no more!) rather than (understandable) cynicism?!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

And maybe we still need some or all of those 4. Teams can always be improved by bringing in new players. But here’s a thought - maybe sometimes a good and experienced manager can coach players to become better. How radical is that lol. We’ve been playing one game a week lately and just maybe the extra time MM has had on the training ground with the squad, plus finding his own feet at a new club, i.e. getting to know that squad, is starting to pay off?

Nobody at all is saying things are rosy, come on mcfluff. All we can say at the moment is that we are in touch with the playoffs and our still new (but with a decent track record) manager is maybe starting to get a tune out of this squad. Early days, but how about a touch of optimism (just a touch, ok, no more!) rather than (understandable) cynicism?!

Dunno about that, pretty sure LOF has booked his accommodation and travel for the playoff final...

24 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Dunno about that, pretty sure LOF has booked his accommodation and travel for the playoff final...

More concerned with me than backing our team. Which is a great shame.

Mind you, I suppose you have to vent somewhere when your concerns about ‘5 promotions Micky’ are looking a bit silly. 

Maybe if hires David Dunn as a nutritionist;  it would appease your  unquenchable thirst for young and progressive. 

35 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Barnet will be a good test but I think we're more than capable of getting a result here yet again,

we definitely look more organised and harder to break down, Gateshead found a way and so must we, another 1 nil with the same control shown would be just the ticket.

Watching the NL highlights and Gateshead's win I wouldn't have mind signing Kyran Lofthouse on loan from Barnsley.

https://twitter.com/GatesheadFC/status/1726208408846565575?t=j2deejcoQF7NP1gDkq-RXQ&s=19

Edited by mick26

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

More concerned with me than backing our team. Which is a great shame.

Mind you, I suppose you have to vent somewhere when your concerns about ‘5 promotions Micky’ are looking a bit silly. 

Maybe if hires David Dunn as a nutritionist;  it would appease your  unquenchable thirst for young and progressive. 

Chill out bruv, it weren't that deep...

A repeat of the performance levels against Barnet and a complete demolition of relegation-threatened Ebbsfleet will have convinced me we've properly turned a corner. I still think we're a brilliant creator short in midfield because I'll be surprised if Gardner can keep himself fit for the majority of the season. I'm more encouraged that we're controlling and bossing our third match on the spin. We barely did that at all last season, even when we embarked on a good run of form in the second half of the season.

Winning breeds confidence and once we start to see a settled side with very few changes week to week, we'll start seeing even more improvements.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'm more encouraged that we're controlling and bossing our third match on the spin. We barely did that at all last season, even when we embarked on a good run of form in the second half of the season.

Spot on mate. 

We didn’t control one game last season. Not one. 

That alone is a massive sign of progress. 

It’s not about saying or claiming we’re the finished article, just that we starting to look like the team we’ve all been craving for. 

In a nutshell. 

Create lots of chances, but don’t give much away. 

• Like 5