Trending in the right direction.

I said on the pod thread last week that we shouldn't be writing this season off as a rebuild and that promotion was still very much an achievable aim. I also said we do need those critical 3-4 new signings that will turn us from a mid table team to a promotion chasing one. That's not changed because of 1 very good win and performance. I would be surprised if the manager and club hierarchy think any different.

• Like 3

Having Gardner fit is important to the team at the minute, even at the level we are at he is one of the only players we have who can play a bit of football, Unsworth didn't really fancy him and our best couple of games under Thompson he played before getting injured early at Kidderminster, he struggles with two games in a week so it would be brave to play him at Barnet on Wednesday.

I still think we are miles away from where we need to be particularly with the shape of the team, it's not being negative it's just the reality that the same issues exist and injury to one or two of three or four key men could see us struggle to dominate games.

I think we wouldn't have been far away from the playoffs under Unsworth and still feel we may well scrape them but all this EIEIEIO shite needs to stop, we've won 6 games and are nearly half way through the season. Three of those were against teams in the bottom four so I'd like to see a little bit more before we get ahead of ourselves starting tomorrow against a team who had a set back losing their last two but find themselves 15 points in front of us 20 games in. 

IF we can do a job Wednesday similar to Saturday I may start to get a bit giddier, at the moment I'll just tread with caution as I feel we still need to strengthen a couple of key areas that personally I feel need more than a sticking plaster.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Having Gardner fit is important to the team at the minute, even at the level we are at he is one of the only players we have who can play a bit of football, Unsworth didn't really fancy him and our best couple of games under Thompson he played before getting injured early at Kidderminster, he struggles with two games in a week so it would be brave to play him at Barnet on Wednesday.

I still think we are miles away from where we need to be particularly with the shape of the team, it's not being negative it's just the reality that the same issues exist and injury to one or two of three or four key men could see us struggle to dominate games.

I think we wouldn't have been far away from the playoffs under Unsworth and still feel we may well scrape them but all this EIEIEIO shite needs to stop, we've won 6 games and are nearly half way through the season. Three of those were against teams in the bottom four so I'd like to see a little bit more before we get ahead of ourselves starting tomorrow against a team who had a set back losing their last two but find themselves 15 points in front of us 20 games in. 

IF we can do a job Wednesday similar to Saturday I may start to get a bit giddier, at the moment I'll just tread with caution as I feel we still need to strengthen a couple of key areas that personally I feel need more than a sticking plaster.

You're about as optimistic as GKing52, albeit rather more eloquent! :)

Think even the most optimistic amongst us would concede that midfield does need strengthening either permanently or via the loan market.

Whilst acknowledging we have not seen the best of Ward or Lundstram Gardner remains our main attacking midfield threat and his inability to string appearances together is concerning.

I'm sure our manager has recognised this and January will see the problem addressed. 👍 

I’m not getting carried away yet but I’m a lot happier than I was a few weeks ago.

We are now actually passing to our own players rather than needlessly giving the ball away. 
On Saturday at Woking we played some really good football with some good passing moves.

As much as Dan Gardner played well I think we all know he will miss quite a few games so we do need someone else to take over his role.

Off to Barnet on Wednesday and a similar performance to Saturday will give a decent chance of getting a result.

Onwards and upwards 👆 👍😀

• Like 3

On 11/19/2023 at 12:29 PM, League one forever said:

I think we’re all agreed on how well we played yesterday, but I’ve read a few saying let’s not get carried away with one performance. While it’s a true that’s it’s the first 90 minute performance, large elements of yesterday have been there for weeks. 

The same players who looked bereft of confidence under Unsy, and unable to create or pass. Are suddenly carving numerous chances. Our ball retention is very good. Our passing is night and day. We are moving the ball from front to back a lot quicker. Prior to yesterday the above was coming in spells, but I didn’t mind that because you could see team transitioning to what the manager wants, and it was always going to take a while to bed in. 

We will have hiccups (flyde) but I’m really confident that we’re finally going places. 

Good post LOF and very hard to argue with.

Our improvement is no shock to me, DU was an U23 coach using methods from a manual.

MM is a real manager with a wealth of experience and he does say the football itself  will show him how good the players are.

He has removed 3 of DU's starters, Nuttall, Sutton & Shelton, for various reasons these players are simply not good enough, Sutton has mitigating circumstances here though so a bit of slack required for him imo.

Gardener and Mcgahey bring quality to the team, the defence looks very capable but short of depth in the full/wing back positions.

So keeping gardner fit is essential or he needs to bring in someone similar with quality on the ball and a threat going forward.

But imo we will make the play offs at a canter once we get a bit of momentum and some areas of the squad covered with depth.

But as it stands now, 4 points off play offs with over half a season to go, looks very healthy to me. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Good post LOF and very hard to argue with.

Our improvement is no shock to me, DU was an U23 coach using methods from a manual.

MM is a real manager with a wealth of experience and he does say the football itself  will show him how good the players are.

He has removed 3 of DU's starters, Nuttall, Sutton & Shelton, for various reasons these players are simply not good enough, Sutton has mitigating circumstances here though so a bit of slack required for him imo.

Gardener and Mcgahey bring quality to the team, the defence looks very capable but short of depth in the full/wing back positions.

So keeping gardner fit is essential or he needs to bring in someone similar with quality on the ball and a threat going forward.

But imo we will make the play offs at a canter once we get a bit of momentum and some areas of the squad covered with depth.

But as it stands now, 4 points off play offs with over half a season to go, looks very healthy to me. 

Agreed Maxi. 

I also think it’s important to note that we’re saying this when are results are indifferent. 

Keep performing as we are, and like you say it will be playoffs quite comfortably. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

We’ll have a much better idea of our prospects after tomorrow night.

It's only one game. Would like to see us back up a good performance from Saturday and show some consistency but need to bear in mind Barnet will provide far tougher opposition. Notwithstanding two defeats on the bounce their home record is W7 D2 L1. We may have to rest Danny Gardener who suddenly has become one of our most important players. The squad is looking a bit thin with a number of injuries. I would settle for an an encouraging performance regardless of the result given we're playing 2nd in the league away from home.  

On 11/19/2023 at 8:11 PM, Worcester Owl said:

And maybe we still need some or all of those 4. Teams can always be improved by bringing in new players. But here’s a thought - maybe sometimes a good and experienced manager can coach players to become better. How radical is that lol. We’ve been playing one game a week lately and just maybe the extra time MM has had on the training ground with the squad, plus finding his own feet at a new club, i.e. getting to know that squad, is starting to pay off?

Nobody at all is saying things are rosy, come on mcfluff. All we can say at the moment is that we are in touch with the playoffs and our still new (but with a decent track record) manager is maybe starting to get a tune out of this squad. Early days, but how about a touch of optimism (just a touch, ok, no more!) rather than (understandable) cynicism?!

I'm confident we will finish in the playoffs. My point was more aimed at how up and down people are. Little balance. Either the whole squad is shite one minute and needs an overall or we win a game and we've turned a corner and squad is fine.

I'd like 1 or 2 in but think playoffs anyway. 

When we lose it isn't the end of the world. That seems to be lost on a few

22 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'm confident we will finish in the playoffs. My point was more aimed at how up and down people are. Little balance. Either the whole squad is shite one minute and needs an overall or we win a game and we've turned a corner and squad is fine.

I'd like 1 or 2 in but think playoffs anyway. 

When we lose it isn't the end of the world. That seems to be lost on a few

Was it ever thus. To some the football result defines their week. As long as you can look at it objectively it doesn't matter what others think. It's only a game. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Was it ever thus. To some the football result defines their week. As long as you can look at it objectively it doesn't matter what others think. It's only a game. 

It’s more than just a game - it’s my team. There is no way that I can look at it objectively.

Surely - If the team being successful can lift you up then by the same reasoning, the team being unsuccessful can bring you down?

• Like 3