Trending in the right direction.

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s more than just a game - it’s my team. There is no way that I can look at it objectively.

Surely - If the team being successful can lift you up then by the same reasoning, the team being unsuccessful can bring you down?

Each to their own. 

55 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I'm confident we will finish in the playoffs. My point was more aimed at how up and down people are. Little balance. Either the whole squad is shite one minute and needs an overall or we win a game and we've turned a corner and squad is fine.

I'd like 1 or 2 in but think playoffs anyway. 

When we lose it isn't the end of the world. That seems to be lost on a few

I’m reminded of something an Irish guy I worked with back in the 90s used to say. A great guy, full of life, always the life and soul. He was a huge RU fan, very knowledgeable about the game. I once asked him why he never got excited about the five/six nations, even when things were looking up for Ireland. He looked me straight in the eye and said, they’ve broken my heart too many times.

We were both youngsters then (well ok, in our thirties) and nowadays when Latics lose, I still get upset but it’s no longer life and death, and I don’t get to see them week in week out as I once did. I see your point about fans being so up and down, but in a way I admire that, and it makes me envious. And don’t forget, we’ve had 30 odd years of winning nothing. It’s understandable that there is a desperation for success, hence the reactions that you mention.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

It’s more than just a game - it’s my team. There is no way that I can look at it objectively.

Surely - If the team being successful can lift you up then by the same reasoning, the team being unsuccessful can bring you down?

I'm fairly confident someone did quite a decent study on the mental health of a town / city with a football team when that team won and lost and the effect was significant. 

1 minute ago, rudemedic said:

I'm fairly confident someone did quite a decent study on the mental health of a town / city with a football team when that team won and lost and the effect was significant. 

And like most such surveys it was probably bollocks. Who funds this nonsense?

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I’m reminded of something an Irish guy I worked with back in the 90s used to say. A great guy, full of life, always the life and soul. He was a huge RU fan, very knowledgeable about the game. I once asked him why he never got excited about the five/six nations, even when things were looking up for Ireland. He looked me straight in the eye and said, they’ve broken my heart too many times.

We were both youngsters then (well ok, in our thirties) and nowadays when Latics lose, I still get upset but it’s no longer life and death, and I don’t get to see them week in week out as I once did. I see your point about fans being so up and down, but in a way I admire that, and it makes me envious. And don’t forget, we’ve had 30 odd years of winning nothing. It’s understandable that there is a desperation for success, hence the reactions that you mention.

100% relate to this .

• Like 1

On 11/21/2023 at 11:22 PM, rudemedic said:

I listened to a podcast recently with a Newcastle fan and he said the mood in the city has significantly improved. 

Edited by longtimeblue

8 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I genuinely agreed with and believed the thread title.

Football is a prick at times isn't it?

One game doesn’t change a trend! Be more concerning if poor performances continue over a run of games. 

This team in its present form is never going to be consistent enough to win the playoffs. We are no better than most of the other teams in the NL and the last two games have proved, that barring Chesterfield, who look certs for the title, just about anybody can beat anybody in this division.

The alarming thing for me today was that they were so much better than us all over the pitch which follows a recent trend in home games which we desperately need to address!

Our movement off the ball was non existent and our build up play still far too slow…… The number of times McGahey ’walked the ball out’ with absolutely no option to pass was criminal.

We still give teams far too much space and there’s still too big a gap between midfield and the strikers.

I’m still of the opinion we need three or four players and that performance today may have convinced MM that may well be the case.

A really poor performance after consecutive away wins and another difficult watch!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

This team in its present form is never going to be consistent enough to win the playoffs. We are no better than most of the other teams in the NL and the last two games have proved, that barring Chesterfield, who look certs for the title, just about anybody can beat anybody in this division.

The alarming thing for me today was that they were so much better than us all over the pitch which follows a recent trend in home games which we desperately need to address!

Our movement off the ball was non existent and our build up play still far too slow…… The number of times McGahey ’walked the ball out’ with absolutely no option to pass was criminal.

We still give teams far too much space and there’s still too big a gap between midfield and the strikers.

I’m still of the opinion we need three or four players and that performance today may have convinced MM that may well be the case.

A really poor performance after consecutive away wins and another difficult watch!

You say we don’t have the consistency to win the play offs and then say anyone can beat anyone. So it’s a lottery in the play offs and we could beat anyone?

Do you just look for things you can have a go at?

Anybody can beat anybody in any division I suppose but to win the playoffs we will have to win 3 games on the bounce against 5 of the best teams in the division.

How many times have we won three consecutive games?

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Fylde were lower ranked 

On 11/21/2023 at 7:55 PM, TheBigDog said:

Deffo some truth in this....👍