Matthew Hudson

Morning all

Preston fan here - just wanted to see how Hudson was getting on with you? 

Like to follow ex North End players and had seen he went to Buxton for a while but wasn’t getting much game time and when he joined you I don’t think he was first choice either, but looks as though he’s first choice ‘keeper now. I hope he’s doing well anyway - he didn’t get a fair crack whilst with us, not least due to the fact ‘keeper has been our strongest position for a good 7 or 8 years (Pickford, Johnstone, Iverson loans and Declan Rudd and now Freddie Woodman).

all the best for the rest of the season - looks like you’re well placed in the league?

Hello Yan, Mat Hudson looks a very good keeper at this level, he got his chance due to an injury to first choice, Magnus Norman, and has kept his place. Excellent shot stopper, willing to come and collect high balls. The weakest part of his game is distribution and hopefully this will improve. He's been an excellent signing and suspect he could play at a higher level.

looks good not spotted a standout flaw still very young. seen a few mistakes but also seen some decent shot stopping combined with a willingness to come for the ball. reluctant to crticise his handling bc the mistakes seem to happen when he is keeping in a proactive fashion. probably worth money to a well run, pro club which looks after both itself and its staff.

which we keep having to remind ourselves we are!

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Can't upgrade when you already have the best, amirite @yarddog73

I rate Norman at our level, his obvious weakness is he doesn't always deal with shots popped in from 30 yards but there wouldn't be many I'd have in front of him who may be availablel, his performance at Chesterfield last season was as good as you'll see and he pushed Yarney last season for player of the season, there's obviously more going on with him than meets the eye as Unsworth couldn't wait to replace him and both Thompson and Mellon haven't used him which I think is strange given most seem to have been given a chance.

I'm not convinced by Hudson but he's not the finished article and may well kick on, 

I'd be spending any monies elsewhere as both are more than adequate at our level even though I feel we are playing the wrong one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I rate Norman at our level, his obvious weakness is he doesn't always deal with shots popped in from 30 yards but there wouldn't be many I'd have in front of him who may be availablel, his performance at Chesterfield last season was as good as you'll see and he pushed Yarney last season for player of the season, there's obviously more going on with him than meets the eye as Unsworth couldn't wait to replace him and both Thompson and Mellon haven't used him which I think is strange given most seem to have been given a chance.

I'm not convinced by Hudson but he's not the finished article and may well kick on, 

I'd be spending any monies elsewhere as both are more than adequate at our level even though I feel we are playing the wrong one.

Which is your opinion, I always thought Norman was the better of the 2,but I now feel Hudson has the gloves and they are his to lose, he has definitely improved which can only come from game time. Which is the reason I wouldn't let Willoughby go as I think he will be an asset for us once he gets a decent run in the team. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, disjointed said:

Which is your opinion, I always thought Norman was the better of the 2,but I now feel Hudson has the gloves and they are his to lose, he has definitely improved which can only come from game time. Which is the reason I wouldn't let Willoughby go as I think he will be an asset for us once he gets a decent run in the team. 

Can't argue with any of that, with regards to Willoughby I've seen him play quite a lot and he's the shadow of the player I know, he is a confidence player and that aspect of his game seems to be shot at the minute, he probably just needs a goal as nothing appears to be going for him at the moment and this move hasn't panned out how all of us wanted, I watched him Saturday and absolutely nothing went right  I almost felt sorry for him, hopefully it clicks for him but he's under a tremendous amount of pressure to perform when he does come on because of the strength we have in the forward line, he probably needs to start to have a fair chance but it's easy to argue why he doesn't deserve that.

One game he did start in his favoured position he was up there for MOM and that was York at home, ironically partnered by the out of favour Joe Nuttall, which was in my opinion the only game at home we bossed from start to finish.