MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 06/01/24

7 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We were comprehensively outplayed by a part time outfit for a full hour, they were both fitter and keener. Our keeper has made several world class saves (that's no exaggeration) and we've held on for dear life, I'll enjoy the win and the three points as much as the next man but I'm not going to just post bolĺocks just for the sake of it, we need better players (2 or 3) if we are going to make this play off push meaningful, it really is that simple.

Right- so. . 

You acknowledge we need better players, and yet are criticising the sub standard players for winning and taking us into the playoffs for the first time this season. 

‘I know they’re winning and taking us into the playoffs and I’m happy- but these players are the tactics aren’t good enough. . ‘ 🤔

• Like 1

This team has never been able to consistently pass more than a couple of times without giving it away. MM has assessed the strengths and weaknesses of the squad and because he's a proper manager, he's worked out the style of play that is most likely to get us wins. It's a butt ugly style of play but the results speak for themselves. I'd prefer to watch games like when Kewell was in charge too but I have no desire to be 17th in the league, no matter how entertaining it may be. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

McGahey the cart horse very, very lucky there.

how does he get in the starting XI,  no use in midfield.

Gardner  very poor sub.

Hudson  M.O.M. today

COYB

11 minutes ago, OAFC Blues said:

This team has never been able to consistently pass more than a couple of times without giving it away. MM has assessed the strengths and weaknesses of the squad and because he's a proper manager, he's worked out the style of play that is most likely to get us wins. It's a butt ugly style of play but the results speak for themselves. I'd prefer to watch games like when Kewell was in charge too but I have no desire to be 17th in the league, no matter how entertaining it may be. 

I don't really think that is it to be honest, this is just the way his teams play, but look he's getting results at the moment.

24 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Genuinely- what is worrying about poor (only at times) winning football?

We know the reason/s it’s a struggle, so other than making the best of what we’ve got - what do you expect? Your point about stones is a good one- and he highlighted what a difference a quality player can make - but Mike Fondop isn’t as good as Josh Stones  so again, what do you expect? 

I can't speak for Faz but my own view is that I want us to be dominating most games and by dominating I mean having loads of possession, loads of shots and just absolutely wiping the floor with teams.

I was at the game today and we were lucky Dorking didn't have a decent striker.

If they could finish we would have lost 100%.

As some have already said Dorking were quicker than us, far more creative and worryingly looked much

fitter.

McGahey (who was dreadful today btw) was blowing out of his arse as was Sheron due to the fact that 2H Dorking ran rings around us in midfield. 

The only positives were the great traveling support, and the fact that we put bodies on the line and defended our goal well, to somehow keep a clean sheet and take 3 points.

If we play like we did in the 2H again we will get dicked most weeks.

If you were actually at the game today and and were not moaning I didn't spot you as all around me were pretty pissed at our complete lack of any quality 2H.

Norwood was also well off it, as in the first 30 mins or so when we were OK and he missed 2 absolute 1 on 1 sitters.

And I'd like to make a big shout out for Will Sutton today. He was bizarrely our most likely scorer, got forward well nunberous times and coped pretty well with some good left sided Dorking players with absolutely no help from Lundstrom or Gardner when he came on. 

Final verdict...a very fortunate 3 points and a massive improvement needed if we are to stay in the top 7. A million miles away from the performance at Woking a few weeks ago.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Genuinely- what is worrying about poor (only at times) winning football?

We know the reason/s it’s a struggle, so other than making the best of what we’ve got - what do you expect? Your point about stones is a good one- and he highlighted what a difference a quality player can make - but Mike Fondop isn’t as good as Josh Stones  so again, what do you expect? 

It's not sustainable and for me we aren't building anything, I know this isn't MM fault but it just feels like we are fire fighting and fudging our way through this season a bit like last, kidding ourselves we are the next best after Chesterfield, we are not and in footballing terms we're inferior to the majority of our opponents. 

kidding ourselves we are the next best after Chesterfield

Not one person thinks that. 

In fact, nearly everyone is saying (including Mellon) we’re a work in progress, and to say we’re short of players then two points a game is excellent. 

I know this isn't MM fault but it just feels like we are fire fighting and fudging our way through this season a bit like last

That’s exactly what we’re doing, and winning while we do it. I’ll take that for now. 

It's not sustainable and for me we aren't building anything,

He’s built a winning mentality. Pretty important as a football manager. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

No worries, just don’t get that selective amnesia when you call other fans out for it next week. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting to be winning every game, just want to see us punching our weight more than once a season.

28 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's not sustainable and for me we aren't building anything, I know this isn't MM fault but it just feels like we are fire fighting and fudging our way through this season a bit like last, kidding ourselves we are the next best after Chesterfield, we are not and in footballing terms we're inferior to the majority of our opponents. 

Probably, yes but the difference is we've got a manager who actually knows how to get results, rather than fluking them..

Something that seems to be getting overlooked - if "the best finisher in the league" finishes like the best finisher in the league and the game's finished after half an hour and the second-half is academic and it's seen as an easy away win.  We need to capitalise when we're on top and dig in when we're not.

Edited by JoeP

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Probably, yes but the difference is we've got a manager who actually knows how to get results, rather than fluking them..

Something that seems to be getting overlooked - if "the best finisher in the league" finishes like the best finisher in the league and the game's finished after half an hour and the second-half is academic and it's seen as an easy away win.  We capitalise when we're on top and dig in when we're not.

Joe we fluked it today.

Yes Norwood should have scored a couple but they should have scored 4 or 5 if I'm honest.

What kept the ball out of our net at the end of the first half god only knows..... 

2 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Joe we fluked it today.

Yes Norwood should have scored a couple but they should have scored 4 or 5 if I'm honest.

What kept the ball out of our net at the end of the first half god only knows..... 

I'd still say there was more management behind it than anything Unsworth came up with..

38 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That’s a big call. The table never lies - we’re 6th for a reason and it’s surely not because we’re inferior to the majority. Maybe you’re referring to our style of play in which case as L1F has said, at the moment MM is working with what he’s got and thankfully is producing results.

Three wins in a row (which we don’t manage that often!) - if we can keep that run going these players will grow in confidence and will get better. When were we last able to celebrate being at the top end of a table going into the New Year? Enjoy it and keep the faith!

Edited by Worcester Owl
Needed to bold the text
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I'd still say there was more management behind it than anything Unsworth came up with..

Don't disagree. We are far better organised and Raglan has improved us at the back.

We just can't be playing McGahey behind Lundstrom and Sheron, and a back 5 if we want to try and dominate sides.

Acid tests will be Bromley and Barnet at home.

There are some remarkable takes on here.

I saw it said a few years ago but most Latics fans don't know what a promotion team looks like. I count myself in that. We've not seen one play for more than twice a season for 33 years.

We've not seen a non-title winning promotion team play for more than twice a season for over fifty years.

How many times over the years have we seen teams who were shit when we played them go up? Plenty.

We're not going to win or even play convincingly every week. We may (and do) get dicked from time to time. The fact we pick up points in games we play well in and games we don't is a good thing.

Just enjoy it ffs. We've waited long enough.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

I saw it said a few years ago but most Latics fans don't know what a promotion team looks like. I count myself in that. We've not seen one play for more than twice a season for 33 years.

We've not seen a non-title winning promotion team play for more than twice a season for over fifty years.

How many times over the years have we seen teams who were shit when we played them go up? Plenty.

We're not going to win or even play convincingly every week. We may (and do) get dicked from time to time. The fact we pick up points in games we play well in and games we don't is a good thing.

It is possible to enjoy the win whilst also commenting that the performance was poor and needs to improve...

46 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree with what you've said about today's performance and the frustrating thing for me is that we sat back way more than we had to and it nearly cost us at least two points.

But I disagree that we aren't building something.  Mellon is building from the base of Hobson, Raglan and Hogan being rock solid and impenetrable.  Not a bad idea when Hobson and Raglan are individually two of the best centre backs in the league and Hogan is a proven leader.  Hudson is becoming a bonus too and the understanding between him and the back three seems good.

With Norwood and a powerful and/or energetic forward like Stones or Fondop (to a lesser extent), we'll be able to nab a goal or two a game which will be enough if that back 3 continues to get stronger.

All other areas can definitely be improved, but Mellon clearly understands how he's building this team.  Even if it's not pretty watching how it gets built.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It is possible to enjoy the win whilst also commenting that the performance was poor and needs to improve...

Of course. I didn't say all the takes on here were strange...

19 minutes ago, jsslatic said:

Spot on.