MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 06/01/24

Just now, mickjagger said:

I cannot believe the negativity in this thread, MM is geeting the most out of this squad instilling a resillience and finding a way to win 👏

Realisticly we'd have lost only for some great saves by our keeper.

Just now, mickjagger said:

I cannot believe the negativity in this thread, MM is geeting the most out of this squad instilling a resillience and finding a way to win 👏

He'll get even more when he's able to ship a few out

Got a striker from a championship club on the bench and should have been on

Upto 6th in the table sound like we stole it but if you want promotion you have to go and steal wins particularly away from home. 

I reckon we still need to see an improvement and Mellon will be more than aware of that but in the meantime I will take seeing us dig out wins.

My IPTV had the Dorking commentary.

At the final whistle they said they can see why we've now won 5 away on the bounce, cos we were very resilient.

We're right near the top of the form table and we've won 5 away games in a row... But we didn't play like Brazil or some 1970's cloggers so I expect plenty of moaning.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Realisticly we'd have lost only for some great saves by our keeper.

It's what he is there for, to prevent the ball going into the net as the last line of defence. How many times have Latics been on the end of a defeat to a team playing badly and a 'keeper playing out of his skin? I've seen it quite a few times in my many years.

• Like 2

Positives 

Result

Back three solid

Sutton and Kitching did their jobs

Hudson MOM again, getting better each week

Negatives 

Front five to a man were dogshit

Subs made us weaker

Boring turgid Unsworthesque set up and play

Still three or four players short

Embarrassed at another Leisure Centre, very fortunate to come away with something. 

• Like 9

Just now, Pidge said:

Very happy to have those 3 points in the bag.  Maybe this run of results will mean the MM doubters will have a couple of weeks off.

After a dreadful 2nd half performance when only the keeper saved us, MM will not convince anyone these players will  keep us in the play offs.

I imagine these "Leisure centres" are tricky places to go to. Small crowds, cramped environment and the potential to get shafted being very high. The Dorking commentators praising the resilience of Latics is a compliment of sorts.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Embarrassed at another Leisure Centre, very fortunate to come away with something. 

Dorking should be fucking furious then...couldn't beat shitty little unsworthesque(5 away wins on the bounce) Oldham

• Like 2

After a dreadful 2nd half performance when only the keeper saved us, MM will not convince anyone these players will  keep us in the play offs.

Well they got us into the play-off spots...

I think we're allowed to enjoy it tonight.  We can't change the performance.  It's what we do now that matters.

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Positives 

Result

Back three solid

Sutton and Kitching did their jobs

Hudson MOM again, getting better each week

Negatives 

Front five to a man were dogshit

Subs made us weaker

Boring turgid Unsworthesque set up and play

Still three or four players short

yes, good result but sounded like a struggle 2nd half, MM getting a tune out the squad at the moment but we really need some additions . 

• Like 2

I honestly think he knows that.

He said we have irons in the fire and if they're anything like Stones we will be alright.I hope.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

BP, you say "only the 'keeper" like it's a bad thing. Would you rather he didn't make the saves? He's as important a player as any other, maybe even more so. A striker scores goals, a 'keeper makes saves and I think ours is a huge asset.

• Like 3

The only away win in our division today, our fifth away win in a row, our third win on the bounce, the second clean sheet, into the play-off spots, the chance that more players will shortly be joining,  according to MM. 

What's not to like?

Be nice to play better, but it's all about results 

• Like 4

That was a tough watch. We couldn't string two passes together second half. Our team being 50% centre halves and great goalkeeping kept our clean sheet but we won't get away with playing like that very often. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

We’ll make the playoffs but this team without a few quality additions will not win them.

That 2nd half was as bad as I’ve seen in recent times…awful!

44 minutes ago, mickjagger said:

I cannot believe the negativity in this thread, MM is getting the most out of this squad instilling a resillience and finding a way to win 👏

He is and the outcome will justify his methods for today, but I can totally understand the negativity after that today.

McGahey was the step too far, the back 3 (or 5) is solid, Sheron has it in him to sit in and Lundstram, despite being poor in possession, has the energy to get around.  A further sitting midfielder who was poor in possession put us under unnecessary pressure.

I hope Ward or Hope takes his place next week against Hendon.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh