MATCH: Dorking Wanderers (A) 06/01/24

14 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I agree with what you've said about today's performance and the frustrating thing for me is that we sat back way more than we had to and it nearly cost us at least two points.

But I disagree that we aren't building something.  Mellon is building from the base of Hobson, Raglan and Hogan being rock solid and impenetrable.  Not a bad idea when Hobson and Raglan are individually two of the best centre backs in the league and Hogan is a proven leader.  Hudson is becoming a bonus too and the understanding between him and the back three seems good.

With Norwood and a powerful and/or energetic forward like Stones or Fondop (to a lesser extent), we'll be able to nab a goal or two a game which will be enough if that back 3 continues to get stronger.

All other areas can definitely be improved, but Mellon clearly understands how he's building this team.  Even if it's not pretty watching how it gets built.

I don’t think he’s building this side, he’s managing what he’s got- which makes his PPG return even more impressive. 

His side won’t take shape until next season, and the football and performances will be more consistent when this happens. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, L1onheartNew said:

And yet his goalscoring record was 10100.

Too sophisticated for me, 60 years since I did binary on Stanley Road but Stones did look a lively player, sad to lose him.

PS

That Taylor looked a player for them.

Edited by Punce

29 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

It is possible to enjoy the win whilst also commenting that the performance was poor and needs to improve...

Yes but I've seen some somewhat hyperbolic comments such as "embarrassing" "disgrace" and "we were shit" and "disturbing" (your take on today) in Mellons post match comments he said we defended well but in the second half we didn't keep the ball well and we need to improve here this ties in with what alot of people seem to think who went. So it sounds like we didn't play that well but won. 

So while while we should see it for what it is let's not see it as worse than it is. Because if today was "disturbing" we would have been smashed by 3 or 4 goals.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yes but I've seen some somewhat hyperbolic comments such as "embarrassing" "disgrace" and "we were shit" and "disturbing" (your take on today) in Mellons post match comments he said we defended well but in the second half we didn't keep the ball well and we need to improve here this ties in with what alot of people seem to think who went. So it sounds like we didn't play that well but won. 

So while while we should see it for what it is let's not see it as worse than it is. Because if today was "disturbing" we would have been smashed by 3 or 4 goals.

Could be worse, if Joey Barton was watching who knows what kind of nonsensical, inappropriate hyperbole he would've used to describe our performance.

20 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Could be worse, if Joey Barton was watching who knows what kind of nonsensical, inappropriate hyperbole he would've used to describe our performance.

Yes unfortunately the world of social media rewards that behaviour. That said he appears to be having a mid life crisis and is only 2 tweets away from driving bare foot to Dundee stuffing his face with a Toblerone.

Edit: Not comparing what people on here have said to what that idiot has said but yes a sense of percepective is needed.

Edited by GlossopLatic

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

He probably would have blamed Claire the physio for not being a real physio because she is woman. 

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Joe we fluked it today.

Yes Norwood should have scored a couple but they should have scored 4 or 5 if I'm honest.

What kept the ball out of our net at the end of the first half god only knows..... 

granted my view was terrible but I don’t think they created too many clear cut chances. Lots of balls into our box but in the main we dealt with everything they threw at us.

50 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Nope, that would have been a disturbing result. The result wasn't disturbing, but the performance certainly was...

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Nope, that would have been a disturbing result. The result wasn't disturbing, but the performance certainly was...

Yeah you're being hyperbolic

Was the defenses performance or the goalkeepers performance disturbing bearing in mind we kept a clean sheet.

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Glad for the 3 points, but felt flat after the game, in the long run we can't carry on being outpassed by practicality every team we play.

Credit to Hudson who's fast becoming one of the best keepers we've had in many years.

I did prefer Norman last season, but I've now changed my mind.

Edited by BP1960
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Glad for the 3 points, but felt flat after the game, in the long run we can't carry on being outpassed by practicality every team we play.

Credit to Hudson who's fast becoming one of the best keepers we've had in many years.

A fair take on proceedings and yes about Hudson, sheer brilliance today saved us a battering 

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Here’s hyperbole being used positively. I like Hudson but Jesus Christ he’s no Goram, Hallworth or Pogs etc 😩😂

27 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Here’s hyperbole being used positively. I like Hudson but Jesus Christ he’s no Goram, Hallworth or Pogs etc 😩😂

Ofcourse he isn't but in the context of the current side, he might have a massive say on where we end up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

in the long run we can't carry on being outpassed by practicality every team we play.

This didn’t happen against- 

Hartlepool home and away. 

Solihul 2nd half

Barnet away

Woking away

Alty at home

Eastleigh at home.

Im not saying we don’t have poor passages, (most teams do) but we certainly aren’t out passed in nearly every game, and if we are-  we must be the only team in footballing history who can collect two points a game whilst being out passed every game.  

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

This didn’t happen against- 

Hartlepool home and away. 

Solihul 2nd half

Barnet away

Woking away

Alty at home

Eastleigh at home.

Im not saying we don’t have poor passages, (most teams do) but we certainly aren’t out passed in nearly every game, and if we are-  we must be the only team in footballing history who can collect two points a game whilst being out passed every game.  

That's 7, so leaves 20 who've passed the ball better so far.

Edited by BP1960

11 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

That's 7, so leaves 20 who've passed the ball better so far.

Nope. 

Micky has had 12 games. 

He has us top of the form table whilst being out-passed by ‘virtually every team.’ 

Long may the out-passing continue, as we continue our March up the table. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

They should have scored 4 or 5 if I'm honest.

Ehhh, nah. They were worthy of at least a goal, but they huffed and puffed and hammered us on the flanks.

Strange pitch... the way Norwood went to hit his first chance he kind of weirdly kicked the turf that wouldn't have happened on grass. 

Solid 3 points. So many times have I seen us over the years huff and puff and then get rolled over by an opposition who nicked a goal. It was those sides that I normally saw make it to the playoffs as well.

However, if we want to *win* the playoffs then, yes, improvement is needed. I'm sure some new signings will help the cause.

I just think what MM’s grinding out with a generically-not-up-to-scratch midfield is nothing short of a miracle.

Fuck me, I watched Sheron amble about not marking anyone all the second half and we still came away with a clean sheet. The back three, along with wing backs Sutton and Kitching were excellently drilled.

• Like 2